inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kajagoogoo

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/28/06 at 10:46 pm

What are Kajagoogoo like? What bands could one compare them to? I've only heard "Too Shy", which is a very good song.

Subject: Re: Kajagoogoo

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/06 at 12:34 am

Kajagoogoo were far more popular in the UK. They had three UK hits with lead singer Limahl, and some 4 more without him.

1983 - Too Shy
1983 - Ooh to Be Ah
1983 - Hang on Now
1983 - The Big Apple
1984 - The Lion's Mouth
1984 - Turn Your Back on Me
1985 - Shouldn't Do That

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/06 at 1:07 am

Kajagoogoo was a strong bubblegum band, but they demanded to be something more than a bubblegum band, and that was their downfall.  All you really need is:

Kajagoogoo: White Feathers
Limahl: Don't Suppose

The Kaja releases are so bad they are rendered unlistenable!

Written By: robby76 on 05/29/06 at 2:51 am

Limahl also sang the title theme to "Never Ending Story".

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 12:07 pm

Kajagoogoo were great in the Limahl days ('Too shy' and 'Ooh to be ah' are so catchy!) - they seemed lacking when he left (though Big Apple is a great song, it just sounds so dated now).

Limahl went on to have some success in a solo career (though the only two songs I remember were 'Only for love' (that video had a risible so bad it's funny quality) and obviously, what Robby pointed out, the magnificent 'Neverending Story' - if there was ever a song that captures the fantasy spirit of the 80s, it's got to be that one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/06 at 12:10 pm

Is Paul Gambaccini still Limahl's mentor?

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 12:12 pm

Is Paul Gambaccini still Limahl's mentor?

I'm not too sure. I didn't even think Paul Gambaccini had much to do with the music business apart from compiling The Guiness book of Hit Singles.

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/06 at 12:51 pm

I loved Limahl better as a solo artist.  I'm probably one of the few out there who thought Kajagoogoo sounded better without him  :-\\

"Big Apple" and "The Lions Mouth" were awesome  8)

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 1:02 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/06 at 1:07 pm

I suppose it's a little like Van Halen when we discuss the David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar thing. The first performer usually adds that sense of personality or charisma the other seems to lack. However, I feel that the Sammy Hagar period of Van Halen was about there best musically.

I know what you mean about Halen.  I liked more of their songs with Sammy.  The only Roth one I liked was Jump 

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 1:13 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Check for new replies or respond here...