inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Jimmy Somerville Song

Written By: whistledog on 05/29/06 at 9:32 pm

* Bronski Beat
+ The Communards

Subject: Re: Best Jimmy Somerville Song

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/06 at 11:57 pm

My favorite will always be "Smalltown Boy." I have a lot of respect for Jimmy Somerville, though his music isn't my bag. "Smalltown Boy" was great synth-pop, but the lyrics are as hard-hitting as The Smiths' "How Soon is Now."
There was no "Queer Eye" in 1984. Gay culture was still ghettoized. Gays were either lampooned or maligned. I remember teachers in my school cracking anti-gay remarks with no hesitation. "Smalltown Boy" attempted to show some of the hell gay youths were facing, and what it was like.
Pushed around and kicked around
Always a lonely boy
You were the one
That they'd talk about around town
As they put you down
And as hard as they would try
They'd hurt to make you cry
But you'd never cry to them
Just to your soul

Those lyrics really grabbed me. I was always straight, but I saw two friends of mine in high school who were grappling with being gay go through very similar things--social ostracism, harrassment, violence, depression.
The video for "Smalltown Boy" is one of my all-time favorites for the way it augmented the lyrics with a poignant visual narrative.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 1:11 am

Don't Leave Me This Way

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/30/06 at 4:47 am

I voted for "Why?", with its great 80s dance beat and Jimmy's amazing falsetto, but "Smalltown Boy" is a classic, too!!! :)

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/06 at 5:58 am

I like a lot of Jimmy Sommerville's tracks ('Smalltown Boy' and 'Why' are classics as well as his stuff with The Communards). However 'Read my lips (enough is enough)' is the song I love the most - this is one homosexual ready for a fight, lol.

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 11:31 am

I voted for Don't Leave Me This way but it was a tough choice between this and You Are My World.  Basically  any from Smalltown Boy, Why, It Ain't Necessarily So, I Feel Love, You Are My World, Don't Leave Me This Way and  Never Can Say Goodbye would get me up on the dance floor.

Written By: KKay on 06/01/06 at 12:03 pm

I Feel Love

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/06 at 9:39 pm

I always liked "Why" the best.  To my surprise, I recently discovered that it was a Top 40 hit here.  That may be why it always sounded so familiar to me :D

Written By: Tam on 06/01/06 at 10:23 pm

Smalltown Boy

And I agree completely with what MaxwellSmart said.
I think I fewll in love with this song mostly because of the torment in his voice.
(Even tho his voice is always the same)
And my dad wouldn't let me listen to the song because it promoted homosexuality.
My dad has changed a lot since then, but when you are a child and told not to do something, it makes you do it even more.

My second choice is You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/01/06 at 10:44 pm

Smalltown Boy

And I agree completely with what MaxwellSmart said.
I think I fewll in love with this song mostly because of the torment in his voice.
(Even tho his voice is always the same)
And my dad wouldn't let me listen to the song because it promoted homosexuality.
My dad has changed a lot since then, but when you are a child and told not to do something, it makes you do it even more.

My second choice is You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)

On a side note, to this day I don't understand this idea of "promoting homosexuality." From what I've observed, either you is or you ain't! Now there are plenty of heterosexuals who experiment with same-sex encounters, usually in their youths. I think that's actually what freaks heterosexual men out more than bona-fide homosexuality itself!
I mean, how does "Smalltown Boy" promote homesexuality? That's like saying the song "Sixteen Tons" promotes coal mining!
::)

Written By: Tam on 06/01/06 at 10:58 pm

On a side note, to this day I don't understand this idea of "promoting homosexuality." From what I've observed, either you is or you ain't! Now there are plenty of heterosexuals who experiment with same-sex encounters, usually in their youths. I think that's actually what freaks heterosexual men out more than bona-fide homosexuality itself!
I mean, how does "Smalltown Boy" promote homesexuality? That's like saying the song "Sixteen Tons" promotes coal mining!

Trust me, I tried for years to figure out how my father thought it promoted homosexuality!!
And excellent comparison to Sixteen Tons!! ;) 8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/06 at 11:06 pm

Trust me, I tried for years to figure out how my father thought it promoted homosexuality!!
And excellent comparison to Sixteen Tons!! ;) 8)

Probably from the video maybe?  I know it raised a few eyebrows back in the day

songs that promote sexuality would be like "Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Written By: karen on 06/02/06 at 3:27 am

Just because you hear a song about someone who is homosexual it doesn't mean you are going to consider becoming one.  It's not a lifestyle choice, it's just what you are.

Written By: robby76 on 06/02/06 at 5:15 am

Wasn't a big fan of his falsetto, but I remember liking "So Cold The Night". Love "Don't Leave Me This Way" and "Never Can Say Goodbye" too.

Written By: Chasey on 06/02/06 at 10:19 am

Let's not forget that 'undecided' group that includes the likes of George Michael, Steve Strange etc etc.

Anyway, back to Mr Somerville.  He's done some real crackers, 'So Cold The Night' 'You Make Me Feel', 'Don't Leave Me This Way', 'Why'.  A true 80's icon, regardless of what sexuality he stood for.

For what it's worth I've got 2 Bronski Beat albums, 1 Communards and 1 JS. 

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/02/06 at 11:09 pm

bump

Check for new replies or respond here...