inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Unintentionally funny songs

Written By: Ed216 on 05/30/06 at 12:07 am

Okay, this thread is inspired by two other recent threads. Cheesiest song, Obssession, and Silliest songs.

But, I want you to tell me about a song or songs that you remember from the 80s that although it wasn't supposed to be funny or silly (I'm not talking about Weird Al Yankovic or anything like that) it/they made you laugh. Usually, these kind of songs were sung seriously or they were sad songs.

So I want you to tell me about a song that's funny to you, but it's not supposed to be. Which makes it an unintentionally funny song.

I can think of 2 for me, although I'm sure there are more if I can come up with them. Anyway, the ones that come to mind for me immediately are Prince's Kiss and Thomas Dolby's She Blinded Me With Science.

The Prince song is funny to me because he's singing it in this high kind of voice, like for some reason he's intentionally trying to sound like a woman. I will especially laugh when he sings the chorus at the end and his voice starts getting this high screechy sound, it's just awful! I hate Prince anyway, but that song makes me laugh. I don't get him at all. And I don't understand why a guy is trying to get this high female sounding vocal out. I think there are some other songs of his where he does that too. But I've never liked him, I've never understood his appeal, and never will.
The Thomas Dolby thing, well the whole thing to me is just laughable, I don't think Dolby can sing at all. And then you have this old guy saying (not singing) the line She blinded me with science, I think the whole song is real dumb. And the line She blinded me with science is repeated several times. I mean, what is in the world is that supposed to mean anyhow? Does anyone have any idea? How do you "blind" someone with science. Another really bad 80s hit. So now you can all share your unintentionally funny 80s songs with me. Bye, and thanks.

Subject: Re: Unintentionally funny songs

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/06 at 12:15 am

^ No, Thomas Dolby was big on humor. Prince, on the other hand, took himself waaay to seriously. Forget unintentionally funny songs, check out the entire "Purple Rain" movie.

The unintentionally funny song I'm thinking of was written by Falco, but made a hit over here by a crummy German band called After The Fire, "Der Kommissar," which also had one of the worst videos ever, and hilarious attempts at lip-syncing!

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:21 am

^ No, Thomas Dolby was big on humor. Prince, on the other hand, took himself waaay to seriously. Forget unintentionally funny songs, check out the entire "Purple Rain" movie.

The unintentionally funny song I'm thinking of was written by Falco, but made a hit over here by a crummy German band called After The Fire, "Der Kommissar," which also had one of the worst videos ever, and hilarious attempts at lip-syncing!

The Falco version was hilarious.  What's funny is that here in Canada, both Falco and ATF versions were in the charts at the same time, both peaked in the Top 15 at the same time, and both fell off the charts at the same time ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/30/06 at 6:06 am

Hmmmm . . . Almost anything from Heaven 17 (I know Max Smart is going to be gobsmacked here). The lyrics are so pretentious and because they are set against synthesizers, it just makes these tracks even more funny . . .

(We don't need this) fascist groove thang
Sunset Now
Come live with me
Height of the fighting (he-la-hu)
Play to win

These tracks aren't bad - they just make me laugh.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/06 at 11:23 am

Rock Me, Amadaus-Falco
Boom, Boom, Boom (whoever sang that one-it was so stupid that it was funny)

I can't think of any more at this moment (but I will later).

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 12:09 pm

Boom Boom (Let's Go Back to My Room) by Paul Lekakis.  It was quite a funny song.  It was banned in certain areas for it's suggestive lyrics

Written By: Ed216 on 05/30/06 at 2:29 pm

Rock Me, Amadaus-Falco

I can't think of any more at this moment (but I will later).

Cat

Yeah, Rock Me Amadeus that was pretty funny, I just thought it was really pretentious. I assume that Falco was a fan of Mozart though. I remember a parody version of it I heard on a local radio station called Rock Me Jerry Lewis, very funny! The other song, Boom, Boom, Boom, I'm not familiar with though. What year was it out? Doesn't sound like something I'd listen to, but I'm just curious.

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/06 at 2:43 pm

The other song, Boom, Boom, Boom, I'm not familiar with though. What year was it out? Doesn't sound like something I'd listen to, but I'm just curious.

It came out in 1986.  It was not that big of a hit in the U.S., but I believe it performed well on the Dance Charts

Written By: Schillingfan on 05/30/06 at 2:50 pm

Yeah, Rock Me Amadeus that was pretty funny, I just thought it was really pretentious. I assume that Falco was a fan of Mozart though. I remember a parody version of it I heard on a local radio station called Rock Me Jerry Lewis, very funny! The other song, Boom, Boom, Boom, I'm not familiar with though. What year was it out? Doesn't sound like something I'd listen to, but I'm just curious.

Both Falco and Amadeus were child prodiges, had big hits and both died young- a bit of a coincidence??

About Thomas Dolby, he was always funny in his songs!!

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 3:25 pm

Mr. Roboto  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/06 at 5:21 pm

I remember hearing a parody of it called Rock Me Armadillo.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Schillingfan on 05/31/06 at 9:47 pm

Mr. Roboto  ;D

That song's pretty goofy in terms of the whole "Kilroy" thing

The video still scares the crap out of me though

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/31/06 at 11:52 pm

I'm gonna have to see it.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/01/06 at 12:46 am

Both Falco and Amadeus were child prodiges, had big hits and both died young- a bit of a coincidence??

About Thomas Dolby, he was always funny in his songs!!

Falco is dead!!?

Jesus Christ.

How did he die? And when?

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 5:55 am

Falco is dead!!?

Jesus Christ.

According to wiki- he died in 1998 from head injuries received in a car crash.

Written By: Chasey on 06/01/06 at 8:55 am

Captain Sensible's 'Wot!' is just hilarious...and the video is just insane
Blancmange's cover of Abba's 'The Day Before You Came' is also very funny

'I must have read a while....the latest one by....Barbara Cartland?!' ;D

Written By: NES Gamer on 06/01/06 at 10:14 am

Captain Sensible's 'Wot!' is just hilarious...and the video is just insane
Blancmange's cover of Abba's 'The Day Before You Came' is also very funny

'I must have read a while....the latest one by....Barbara Cartland?!' ;D

I remember the Wot video.  Wasn't there some dude with a jack hammer who kept waking the Captain up ;D

Written By: Chasey on 06/01/06 at 10:38 am

I remember the Wot video.  Wasn't there some dude with a jack hammer who kept waking the Captain up ;D

You mean this fellow?  ;D

http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/b9/82/dc_1_b.JPG

Written By: Ed216 on 06/01/06 at 4:39 pm

Falco is dead!!?

Jesus Christ.

I just read about it a few years ago myself in the Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits. I forget the year, but he was killed in Jamaica while on vacation in a car accident.

Written By: Ed216 on 06/01/06 at 4:42 pm

Oh yeah, that one was just pretentious and "over the top" as they say. I'm not sure what Dennis DeYoung (he wrote it) was trying to express in that song. But it's good for a laugh though.

Written By: Chasey on 06/02/06 at 3:03 am

I just read about it a few years ago myself in the Billboard Book of Number 1 Hits. I forget the year, but he was killed in Jamaica while on vacation in a car accident.

It was in the Dominican Republic, where Falco owned a recording studio for a number of years.  He pulled his Jeep out onto a highway and was promptly hit side on by a bus....

Written By: Schillingfan on 06/03/06 at 10:40 am

It was in the Dominican Republic, where Falco owned a recording studio for a number of years.  He pulled his Jeep out onto a highway and was promptly hit side on by a bus....

There's photos of his smashed up Jeep online- I used two photos of his smashed up Jeep for schoolwork about Car functions

Here's one that I used that really didn't do any good for me: http://www.falco.friko.pl/crashed_falco_car.jpg

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/03/06 at 12:27 pm

There's photos of his smashed up Jeep online- I used two photos of his smashed up Jeep for schoolwork about Car functions

Here's one that I used that really didn't do any good for me: http://www.falco.friko.pl/crashed_falco_car.jpg

That makes me really sad :(

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 12:30 pm

I also really hate After the Fire's "Der Kommissar." Most of Milli Vanilli's stuff is pretty unintentionally funny, to me.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 3:35 pm

I also really hate After the Fire's "Der Kommissar." Most of Milli Vanilli's stuff is pretty unintentionally funny, to me.

"Der Kommissar" is almost a rap song.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/04/06 at 10:50 pm

Anyone remember the one hit wonder "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo?  To this day I cant figure out if they were sincere or just had a highbrow sense of humor.  In the video they looked serious artist look to them but the lyrics were funny.  It makes me laugh everytime I hear it.  It has words such as:

"I wish I were in; Tijuana; eating barbecued iguana...."

"I hear the talk of the DJ; just can't understand; what does he say??"

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 06/04/06 at 11:04 pm

Anyone remember the one hit wonder "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo?  To this day I cant figure out if they were sincere or just had a highbrow sense of humor.  In the video they looked serious artist look to them but the lyrics were funny.  It makes me laugh everytime I hear it.  It has words such as:

"I wish I were in; Tijuana; eating barbecued iguana...."

"I hear the talk of the DJ; just can't understand; what does he say??"

Ha, yeah!

i like that song.

Someone covered that song, but I forgot who.

Check for new replies or respond here...