inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Reintroduction of Dance Music

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 12:39 pm

There was definitely a period from like the last half of 1979 to the very beginning of 1983 where people were phobic of true dance music. What dominated the charts then was pop, A/C, and straightforward pop-rock like Pat Benatar. Dance-pop, essentially a combination of disco and synthesizer pop, is what reintroduced it, and I think that was one of the biggest causes of the early-mid '80s change, along with the economic boom, MTV spreading, and the British Invasion. It's often been said Thriller and Madonna (the self-titled album) did this, though Duran Duran, Irene Cara, Human League, ABC, Prince, Cyndi Lauper, and Culture Club were also responsible, IMO.

Subject: Re: Reintroduction of Dance Music

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:16 pm

Bump

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 6:54 am

Bumparelli

Written By: Chasey on 06/01/06 at 10:10 am

I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make here James? 

Was dance music ever dead during this period, I don't think so.  Disco yes, but Dance music no.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 12:20 pm

I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make here James? 

Was dance music ever dead during this period, I don't think so.  Disco yes, but Dance music no.

People were phobic of dance music for a brief period. Or music marketed as dance.

Check for new replies or respond here...