inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The '90s w/o Hair Metal

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 12:43 pm

I think hair metal was a big factor in the popularity of grunge and harder alt rock like the Smashing Pumpkins in the '90s. It changed the standard for rock music from non-rebellious, melancholy or emotive new wave (thematically almost "emo", particularly in the case of say Tears for Fears), to being more angry/macho and rebellious. Though there was a backlash against new wave around 1986 that helped to cause this thematic change, along with the rise of dance-pop and A/C, I wonder how the '90s would have turned out differently had there been no hair metal and its change towards machoness. I think bands like Pavement, They Might Be Giants, the Pixies, etc. would've had more mainstream success or that sound would've evolved to something poppier.

Subject: Re: The '90s w/o Hair Metal

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 2:54 pm

I don't know, I think Punk would have probably would have been more popular without Hair Metal, and a different kind of music filled with political venom would have developed in its place. It's hard to really conjecture, because you have all these other genres in the mix as 'extraneous variables.'

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:15 pm

Bump...

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 6:53 am

bumparelli

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/02/06 at 3:42 am

I think hair metal was a big factor in the popularity of grunge and harder alt rock like the Smashing Pumpkins in the '90s. It changed the standard for rock music from non-rebellious, melancholy or emotive new wave (thematically almost "emo", particularly in the case of say Tears for Fears), to being more angry/macho and rebellious. Though there was a backlash against new wave around 1986 that helped to cause this thematic change, along with the rise of dance-pop and A/C, I wonder how the '90s would have turned out differently had there been no hair metal and its change towards machoness. I think bands like Pavement, They Might Be Giants, the Pixies, etc. would've had more mainstream success or that sound would've evolved to something poppier.

You're saying that grunge's roots and influence were to make hard rock more "serious" after hair metal's reign, so if hair metal never existed or became popular, there would be no need for grunge to come along in the '90s to replace it?

Interesting. I agree it would've been kinda different. The 1986+ era probably would've still been more new wavey/synth influenced. Perhaps the supreme "rock" genre would've continued being AOR/arena rock - which basically is just a toned down, more pop variation of hair metal anyway (it's also my favorite style :) ) - like it was in the earlier '80s.

Long story short, I don't think the '90s would've been as "angry" or at least the music would've have needed to reflect that as much. I guess it'd be more classic rock influenced, or an edgie type of new wave (College Rock may have broken through, but more in the Alternative sense than the Nirvana sense)?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/02/06 at 5:04 am

You're saying that grunge's roots and influence were to make hard rock more "serious" after hair metal's reign, so if hair metal never existed or became popular, there would be no need for grunge to come along in the '90s to replace it?

Interesting. I agree it would've been kinda different. The 1986+ era probably would've still been more new wavey/synth influenced. Perhaps the supreme "rock" genre would've continued being AOR/arena rock - which basically is just a toned down, more pop variation of hair metal anyway (it's also my favorite style :) ) - like it was in the earlier '80s.

Long story short, I don't think the '90s would've been as "angry" or at least the music would've have needed to reflect that as much. I guess it'd be more classic rock influenced, or an edgie type of new wave (College Rock may have broken through, but more in the Alternative sense than the Nirvana sense)?

Yeah, I think college rock like They Might Be Giants, the Pixies, Dinosaur Jr., and R.E.M. which is more similar to new wave attitude-wise would have broken through in a big way.

Check for new replies or respond here...