inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna's Peak/Comebacks

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 2:20 pm

I think Madonna's career peaked around 1989 or 1990...Like a Prayer was a huge record, both critically and commercially, the Blonde Ambition Tour and Truth or Dare were another big career boost, and singles like "Vogue" and "Rescue Me" were huge independently, with "Vogue" even starting a dance craze. This was the two year period where she was easily the biggest musical star in the world, usurping Michael Jackson of that position. Meanwhile, Michael Jackson's career peaked around 1983 or 1984, IMO...it was even downhill from there, because his records got worse and worse. Prince's career peaked in 1984 with "When Doves Cry" and Purple Rain.

Madonna has had two comebacks. She fell fast from 1990 to one of her huge lowpoints in 1992 and 1993, and then had a big comeback, including landing a #1 with "Take a Bow", around 1995. That, and there was Evita. I think the 1997-1998 Ray of Light comeback was just an extension of this, and then she did her version of "American Pie" and "Music, pt. 1", which was very successful. However, 2002-2004 was a big lowpoint, with how bad American Life was and the Britney Spears kiss. Then, she's had a more minor comeback with "Hung Up." So you could really divide her career into the 1983-1991 period and then a 1994-2001 period, followed by a brief 2005ish comeback. What do you think she'll do next?

Subject: Re: Madonna's Peak/Comebacks

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:16 pm

Bump

Written By: zcrito on 05/30/06 at 8:08 pm

It's difficult of artists to make it out of their "special" decade. Not many do.
And for me, except for "Ray of Light", she never really made it out of the '80s. The last song I like by her was out in Fall of '89 (again, excluding ROL).

I can't believe she actually sold any records after 1989.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 8:50 pm

It's difficult of artists to make it out of their "special" decade. Not many do.
And for me, except for "Ray of Light", she never really made it out of the '80s. The last song I like by her was out in Fall of '89 (again, excluding ROL).

I can't believe she actually sold any records after 1989.

I think Erotica was by far her career lowpoint. That album is underrated, the ballads are all right, but it's still mediocre and her controversy was far from artful. Bedtime Stories isn't quite amazing, but it works, and Ray of Light was great. Her following two albums sucked, IMO, and her new one does except for the single "Hung Up", which is really good dance-pop.

Check for new replies or respond here...