inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was '80s music sillier than '60s, '70s, and '90s music?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 3:26 pm

I would say '00s music is comparably silly to '80s music, but would anyone agree that no decade produced a larger percentage of cheesy music than the '80s? I love '80s music, but a lot of it really does seem like a joke.

Subject: Re: Was '80s music sillier than '60s, '70s, and '90s music?

Written By: sonikuu on 05/30/06 at 3:44 pm

A lot of 80's music was silly, but in a good way, if that makes sense.  A lot of it was silly, but it seemed like they knew that it was silly and were very light hearted about the whole thing.  00's videos are silly, but I don't think the artists, particularly rappers, know that and, as a result, take themselves very seriously even though they're a joke.

I do think the early 90's had more silly music than the 80's, actually.  I mean, the early 90's was the time of Right Said Fred, Sir Mix-a-lot, Vanilla Ice, Color Me Badd, etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 3:46 pm

I actually think the '60s, '70s, '90s, and '00s had a ton of silly music.

The '60s: Bubblegum ("Yummy Yummy Yummy", "Sugar Sugar", etc.), sillier British Invasion stuff like Herman's Hermits (even the Beatles did some very silly stuff.) The word to describe the '60s was "silly."
The '70s: The '70s were more campy and weird than any other decade, and had more crappy hits than any other, in my opinion. "Kung Fu Fighting", lots of the funk, stuff like "Brand New Key", the crappy stadium rock. Actually, "bad taste" was the phrase to describe the '70s.
The '80s: 'Nuff said-Wham!, Menudo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood,  hair metal, etc. Lots of "silly" music like in the '60s, as opposed to the more high camp, bad-taste '70s.
The '90s: '90s bubblegum pop, gimmick hit groups like Los Del Rio and Right Said Fred, the Electric Slide, Vanilla Ice...
The '00s: Glam rap, nu metal, emo, etc.

Yeah, '00s artists take themselves oh-so-seriously.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/30/06 at 11:55 pm

I actually think the '60s, '70s, '90s, and '00s had a ton of silly music.

The '60s: Bubblegum ("Yummy Yummy Yummy", "Sugar Sugar", etc.), sillier British Invasion stuff like Herman's Hermits (even the Beatles did some very silly stuff.) The word to describe the '60s was "silly."
The '70s: The '70s were more campy and weird than any other decade, and had more crappy hits than any other, in my opinion. "Kung Fu Fighting", lots of the funk, stuff like "Brand New Key", the crappy stadium rock. Actually, "bad taste" was the phrase to describe the '70s.
The '80s: 'Nuff said-Wham!, Menudo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood,  hair metal, etc. Lots of "silly" music like in the '60s, as opposed to the more high camp, bad-taste '70s.
The '90s: '90s bubblegum pop, gimmick hit groups like Los Del Rio and Right Said Fred, the Electric Slide, Vanilla Ice...
The '00s: Glam rap, nu metal, emo, etc.

Yeah, '00s artists take themselves oh-so-seriously.

Put that down to sanitising every release that exits the recording studio..

There's alot of 'quirky' and 'free and breezy' stuff in the 'Alternative' circles. Like the Fiery Furnaces 'Tropical Ice-land', Dresden Doll's - garagey groups like the Zutons.etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...