inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were the '80s tech-obsessed because they were the last lo-tech decade?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:26 pm

During the '80s, people were obsessed with technology. Computers, digital watches, video games, virtual reality, the '80s had this very campy sci-fi feel to them.  By the '90s, technology began to become a part of everyday life, so the obsession wasn't there anymore. In the '00s, technology is becoming truly futuristic, so people are regaining interest in it.

Subject: Re: Were the '80s tech-obsessed because they were the last lo-tech decade?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:27 pm

I think part of the reason we're like this now is '80s nostalgia and materialism. Of course, that in the '80s was just a current of the '60s "space age" and '60s nostalgia in the '80s...

Subject: Re: Were the '80s tech-obsessed because they were the last lo-tech decade?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/30/06 at 6:34 pm

I think because the technology was still not in wide use, so many people still could not afford a $2000 computer, but they'd hear about them and be curious.

I always wanted a computer as a young kid, but of course not for Internet/CD Burning reasons like kids want them today. We just wanted computers to play games on because that's the primary use we saw them fit for. Also, maybe for typing up reports and the like.

The thing is, I think a lot of us knew that computers were only going to improve with time, so with every "new" thing they introduced, we could only think of the many more possibilities to come.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 05/30/06 at 6:35 pm

I think because the technology was still not in wide use, so many people still could not afford a $2000 computer, but they'd hear about them and be curious.

I always wanted a computer as a young kid, but of course not for Internet/CD Burning reasons like kids want them today. We just wanted computers to play games on because that's the primary use we saw them fit for. Also, maybe for typing up reports and the like.

The thing is, I think a lot of us knew that computers were only going to improve with time, so with every "new" thing they introduced, we could only think of the many more possibilities to come.

Would you say the '80s were the first decade in which high technology existed?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/30/06 at 6:39 pm

I think the '80s were both the last lo-fi and the first hi-fi decade.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/30/06 at 6:44 pm

Would you say the '80s were the first decade in which high technology existed?

I think the '70s people got a good taste of what High tech would be like. They were introduced to calculaters, the early computers, Atari, and other goodies. The 80's just built onto that.

Check for new replies or respond here...