inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thinking '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 9:59 pm

When do you think people started "thinking '90s", to a degree? I'm going to say about 1988, with the aftermath of Black Monday and the release of alot more socially conscious movies, and the beginnings of the mainstreaming of hip-hop and alternative rock.

Subject: Re: Thinking '90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 10:03 pm

When do you think people started "thinking '90s", to a degree? I'm going to say about 1988, with the aftermath of Black Monday and the release of alot more socially conscious movies, and the beginnings of the mainstreaming of hip-hop and alternative rock.

This sounded like a very Donnie Darko question  ::)

If your definition of 'thinking 90s' is socially-conscious media, than possibly at the end of the Cold War - the Post Cold War society (although the USSR did not technically break up in 91, it was dead from the early 80s), where issues such as environmentalism, world hunger.etc began to take over from fears of a nuclear holocaust. It seems those old Cold War fears are re-surfacing in the fear of terror, arms paranoia.etc

Subject: Re: Thinking '90s

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/01/06 at 12:23 pm

This sounded like a very Donnie Darko question  ::)

If your definition of 'thinking 90s' is socially-conscious media, than possibly at the end of the Cold War - the Post Cold War society (although the USSR did not technically break up in 91, it was dead from the early 80s), where issues such as environmentalism, world hunger.etc began to take over from fears of a nuclear holocaust. It seems those old Cold War fears are re-surfacing in the fear of terror, arms paranoia.etc

You and the "smileys."  ;)

I think people started "thinking more '90s" in 1988 or so.

Check for new replies or respond here...