inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were The 80s As Materialistic As Everyone Thinks?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 10:15 pm

Just wondering if there are any who were in their 20s at the time who can support/dispel the 'myth'. I personally think the 80s have got a bad rap for being materialistic, but in a way this materialism was reflected in all manifestations of the media, culture and society.etc. It'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

Subject: Re: Were The 80s As Materialistic As Everyone Thinks?

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/31/06 at 10:16 pm

Just wondering if there are any who were in their 20s at the time who can support/dispel the 'myth'. I personally think the 80s have got a bad rap for being materialistic, but in a way this materialism was reflected in all manifestations of the media, culture and society.etc. It'll be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

No worse than the '00s, probably, but I wasn't around then.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/31/06 at 10:19 pm

No worse than the '00s, probably, but I wasn't around then.

At least the 80s materialism was more 'honest' if you know what I meant. People didn't 'pretend' to care about the non-material things like friendship, personal fulfillment.etc  ;)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/01/06 at 4:27 am

At least the 80s materialism was more 'honest' if you know what I meant. People didn't 'pretend' to care about the non-material things like friendship, personal fulfillment.etc  ;)

*smiles sickly*  ;D

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/01/06 at 5:59 am

No I dont think it was. It was more of a cliche. This decade is 10 times worse.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 8:01 am

No I dont think it was. It was more of a cliche. This decade is 10 times worse.

Yeah, in a way it was such a contrast from the late 60s ideals of Flower power, removing the shackles of the class system.etc, that historians would have singled out the 80s as a 'Money-obssessed decade' - the 'Me' decade as they like to call it.

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 8:06 am

It wasn't something I could say I noticed at the time.  Maybe it was more of an issue/lifestyle in the cities - all the power dressing and must-have items.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/01/06 at 8:24 am

It wasn't something I could say I noticed at the time.  Maybe it was more of an issue/lifestyle in the cities - all the power dressing and must-have items.

Yeah, I think it happened more in some places than others. Not sure if it was the same in the UK and Australia. I don't think it was anywhere near as bad here.

Written By: karen on 06/01/06 at 8:29 am

Well, if you watch some of these 'I love the 80s' type programmes they'd have you believe we were all buying those brick like cell phones and striving for jobs 'in the city' so we could earn mega money.

Written By: Chasey on 06/01/06 at 8:42 am

Those programs are pathetic, hosted by losers with no right to talk about the decade who focus their efforts on making snidy remarks about the fashion, etc rather than giving the viewer a factual experience.

It was materialistic in a lot of ways, yes.  But no more materialistic than the RnB/Hip Hop movement is today....

Check for new replies or respond here...