inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sign-Offs and Sign-Ons of the 1980s

Written By: Mike on 06/02/06 at 4:11 pm

Sup guys, I'm an 80s kid too and I have a question. Does anyone know where I can get those videos of the Sign-On and Sign-Offs that NBC used to do. I remember like F-16s flying in formation followed  by picture of Mount Rushmore things like that and that national anthem playing the background. Does anyone remember these sign offs? I remember them cause I used to stay up late with my big sister watching Friday Night Videos. hahaha

Subject: Re: Sign-Offs and Sign-Ons of the 1980s

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/03/06 at 12:36 am

I remember like F-16s flying in formation followed  by picture of Mount Rushmore things like that and that national anthem playing the background. Does anyone remember these sign offs? I remember them cause I used to stay up late with my big sister watching Friday Night Videos. hahaha

I remember one that started airing, in my local area anyway, in 1984. It had those things you mentioned, with an acapella male choir singing the anthem, ending with "Americaaaaa, myyyyYYYYY HOOOOOOOME" while the flag waved. It was obviously presented by the Air Force, because it had "AIM HIGH, AMERICA" on the screen with the flag. There was another version that didn't have words on the screen. The "Aim High" version aired on our CBS station, and the generic version started airing later on our NBC station. The strange thing about that one is when the flag is shown at the end, the flag footage was run backwards for a split-second, then forwards during the rest of the anthem!

Check for new replies or respond here...