inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Deborah Gibson vs. Madonna

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/03/06 at 10:24 pm

Who do you prefer: '80's pop princess or the '80's Material Girl?

About Deborah Gibson:  (in the '80's she was a pop princess, which most people are familiar as 'Debbie Gibson') http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

Subject: Re: Deborah Gibson vs. Madonna

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/03/06 at 11:33 pm

I don't (well didn't, before I saw this forum) don't even know Debbie Gibson is!

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/03/06 at 11:40 pm

I don't (well didn't, before I saw this forum) don't even know Debbie Gibson is!

Debbie Gibson?  She was pregnant with Mojo Nixon's two-headed love child. 

He wrote a song about it.  Title and lyrics of chorus are have been left as an exercise for the reader.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:40 pm

The Queen of Pop-Madonna.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 11:42 pm

Madonna, because of her longevity.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:46 pm

Madonna, because of her longevity.

Also, she's one of the five most important musical figures since the baby boom musical era died, undoubtedly, in terms of influence and general "importance."

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 11:46 pm

Also, she's one of the five most important musical figures since the baby boom musical era died, undoubtedly, in terms of influence and general "importance."

Yes that's true. Although I think she's lacking in actual talent.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:52 pm

Yes that's true. Although I think she's lacking in actual talent.

She's a good songwriter, she does write most of her own material. And she basically creates her music videos and performances, which are excellent.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/03/06 at 11:52 pm

She's a good songwriter, she does write most of her own material. And she basically creates her music videos and performances, which are excellent.

She's smart, just not in a Mozart type way ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/03/06 at 11:56 pm

She's smart, just not in a Mozart type way ;)

Si, but who is? I mean, I can honestly name the following people who I think are pop musical geniuses of the late 20th century (1980+): Byrne, Morrissey, Prince, Michael Jackson, Cobain, Moore (Thurston), Amos, Yorke, Bush. The mid-20th century had Mitchell (Joni), Wonder (Stevie), and Lennon.

Written By: woops on 06/04/06 at 1:00 am

Deborah Gibson is one of the best and most underrated pop singer/songwriters of the past 20 years who's now a successful stage actress and still release good music, though not as famous anymore since many people still think of her as the '80's pop princess.

http://www.ctnow.com/media/photo/2006-05/23620953.jpg

Madonna, I personally find her overrated, though like several songs from the 1980's...

Written By: robby76 on 06/04/06 at 2:51 am

From an 80s perspective I'd choose Madonna. Her early albums were great. Debbie Gibson wasn't bad in the 80s, but nothing was groundbreaking.

Written By: Gis on 06/04/06 at 3:23 am

Who do you prefer: '80's pop princess or the '80's Material Girl?

About Deborah Gibson:  (in the '80's she was a pop princess, which most people are familiar as 'Debbie Gibson') http://www.discomuseum.com/DebbieGibson.html

Hmm I wonder who posted this thread  ::)
Sorry but there is no comparison, not even close.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/04/06 at 3:29 am

Hmm I wonder who posted this thread  ::)

Madonna, Esther, Madge, Maddie  is only known for getting attention/controversy and hadn't put anything for over 15 years.

"Sorry", "Hung Up"... better off listening to Ashley Tisdale's rendition of "Someday My Prince Will Come"  ::)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/04/06 at 6:35 am

My thoughts, exactly. Although I do like some of Debbie's 80s stuff, too! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/06 at 7:20 am

Definitely Madonna, she has more staying power.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/04/06 at 3:18 pm

Atleast Deborah can act... though her music also gotten better, though underappreciated like "Anything Is Possible", "Think With Your Heart", "Deborah", and "MYOB"

Written By: STAR70 on 06/04/06 at 4:29 pm

Between 1987-89 only Jacko, Madonna, and George Michael were more  famous

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/04/06 at 5:31 pm

Madonna. I've listened to her since her first record came out when I was 7! That's a long time.

I only liked Debbie for perhaps two years and then I grew tired of her.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/04/06 at 6:22 pm

Madonna. I've listened to her since her first record came out when I was 7! That's a long time.

I only liked Debbie for perhaps two years and then I grew tired of her.

I've also listened to Madonna since I was seven. But it was 1997.

Madonna was the most famous pop star in the world, I think, around 1989-1991. She even beat out Michael Jackson and Prince, IMO.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/04/06 at 9:39 pm

Was a baby in 1987 and got into popular music in the mid 1990's. I actually prefer Deborah Gibson's music over Madonna since I find her voice appealing and can pull off dance pop, soft ballads, and even showtunes (and I detest musicals). Also very underrated since her music should've gotten more recognition. Not to mention she still looks great.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 06/05/06 at 5:57 am

Madonna

Written By: Chasey on 06/06/06 at 12:18 pm

I'm not a massive fan of either, but Debbie Gibson vs Madonna is a bit like comparing Bucks Fizz vs Queen in my opinion.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/06/06 at 2:35 pm

Have anybody listened to Deborah's later material (1990 to the present)?

Written By: Brian06 on 01/22/07 at 5:25 pm

I think I gotta pick Madonna here.

Written By: woops on 01/22/07 at 5:30 pm

I wished I've never used my alter ego, though those are my screen names on other sites.  :P

Written By: Sean1983 on 01/23/07 at 4:28 am

I'm voting for Deb here.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/23/07 at 7:27 am

Deborah Gibson is one of the best and most underrated pop singer/songwriters of the past 20 years who's now a successful stage actress and still release good music, though not as famous anymore since many people still think of her as the '80's pop princess.

http://www.ctnow.com/media/photo/2006-05/23620953.jpg

Madonna, I personally find her overrated, though like several songs from the 1980's...

LOL are you kidding me?  The reason why Deborah Gibson is considered an 80's pop princess is because that's what she is.  She obviously hasn't done anything worthwhile since then or people would be interested.  If Madonna had nothing good to offer, she wouldn't still be popular.  She'd be considered an 80's pop princess too. 

Written By: Tia on 01/23/07 at 7:31 am

bill and woops are gonna have to settle this with a full-on mud wrestling match. there WILL be scratching, kicking, biting, strangling, and foreign objects in the ring.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/23/07 at 2:53 pm

bill and woops are gonna have to settle this with a full-on mud wrestling match. there WILL be scratching, kicking, biting, strangling, and foreign objects in the ring.

;D

Written By: woops on 01/23/07 at 3:00 pm

Madonna's like Paris Hilton now, famous for the sake of being famous  ::)

I'm still surprised that Madge haven't yet jumped on a couch, yelled ethnic slurs to a cop, and yelled offensive remarks to an audience member...  ::) :P

Deborah Gibson is now a broadway actress and isn't some attention hungry media hog

Written By: tv on 01/23/07 at 3:35 pm

I'll take Madonna because of her longevity. As for Debbie Gibson her really standout song was 1989's "Lost In Your Eyes". That was a good song and still is a good song. "Electric Youth" is terrible. "Shake Your Love" fit for its time was good probably but I don;t think has aged well.

I think Debbie Gibson was just a victim of a chamging musica trends too. 1990-1991 the house music like "Technotronic" and C&C Music Factory kinda went against the whole 80's Pop/R&B sound. The whole Milli Vanilli thing kinda killled 80's Pop/R&B too.

Written By: tv on 01/23/07 at 3:49 pm

Between 1987-89 only Jacko, Madonna, and George Michael were more  famous
Weren;t Whitney Houston,. Janet Jackson, Taylor Dayne, Jody Watley, Paula Abdul, Milli Vanilli, and the New Kids were pretty big at that time too?
I was 8-10 years old during 87-89 period.

Written By: MewMewkara on 01/23/07 at 5:18 pm

I'd have to go with Debbie. I used to be a huge Madonna fan but I stopped listening to her music. I don't like anything she released after 1990. I think the only thing Madonna is worried about is being the center of attention not putting aout good music. She'll do anything just to get attention and I don't like that. They both write and produce there own material but I think Debbie is a way better singer than Madonna is. I prefer Debbie's music, too.

Written By: Chasey on 01/24/07 at 8:52 am

Debbie was something of a US phenomenon, she achieved nowhere near the same level of singles success or stardom as Madonna did during the 80's here in the UK.

I thought she was a one-hit wonder before I realised her achievements in the US.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/24/07 at 10:19 am

i saw Debbie perform at some radio station concert in Boston a few years ago... 2001 maybe?  Anyway, she wasn't horrible, but she had no stage presence... she can sing but that's about it.  most people were very bored, and only got excited during "Shake your Love"

Check for new replies or respond here...