inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '80s Drums vs. '90s Drums

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/05/06 at 12:08 am

Would anyone say the main difference between '80s pop and '90s pop is the drums?  The synths of '80s and '90s pop are actually pretty similar, but around 1992 the "new wave" reverberating drum style was replaced with the "tick-tock" '90s/'00s drum sequencing.

Subject: Re: '80s Drums vs. '90s Drums

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/05/06 at 1:39 am

I just noticed many 80s groups (excluding rock bands, of course) used drum machines/synths for their beats, whereas there was a return to conventional drum-kits after grunge. Is this largely the case?

Written By: Nostalgic on 06/05/06 at 2:15 am

I remember those electronic drums that were hexagonal in shape and produced different sounds. They died out in the late '80s for some reason.

Written By: The_Plague on 06/05/06 at 7:27 am

I just noticed many 80s groups (excluding rock bands, of course) used drum machines/synths for their beats, whereas there was a return to conventional drum-kits after grunge. Is this largely the case?

actually Priest fell victim to the drum machine idea, unfortunately Stock AItken and Waterman would produce Turbo and the drum machine would appear again on Ram It Down, RID would have been a good albumn had it not been for some overproducing.

Check for new replies or respond here...