inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tears For Fears reissue

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/06 at 12:37 am

The zenith of Tears For Fears' career was their second opus "Songs From The Big Chair." The album has just been reissued as a deluxe double CD package including the singles and b-sides. I was a much bigger fan of "The Hurting," so after just a few spins all the way through, "Songs From The Big Chair" receded into the back of my collection.
Now I'm hearing "Songs From The Big Chair" with new ears. I have lived longer since the release of SFTBC, winter 1985, than I had in all my years prior to it. I have logged countless hours listening to all types of music in the past 20 years. I can hear so much more in music than I was able to when I was in my teens. My big hangup about SFTBC when it came out was that it wasn not like "The Hurting." Now I can hear SFTBC with clarity on its own merits, and you know what? I still like "The Hurting" better! The more times change, the more they stay the same!
;D
But seriously, "Songs From The Big Chair" is one of the best pop albums of the '80s, and this expanded double CD reissue is a document worth your while if you love pop music from the '80s...or from any era!

http://hebertson.net.hosting.domaindirect.com/music/collection/images/7253f.jpg

Subject: Re: Tears For Fears reissue

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/06 at 12:48 am

This will be a great re-issue.  Songs From the Big Chair was a fantastic album 8)

I too though was more of a fan of 'The Hurting'.  I grew up listening to 'Change' and 'Pale Shelter'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/05/06 at 1:21 am

This will be a great re-issue.  Songs From the Big Chair was a fantastic album 8)

I too though was more of a fan of 'The Hurting'.  I grew up listening to 'Change' and 'Pale Shelter'

^ Themes of my adolescence!

As with a lot of bands, the more quirky, experimental side of TFF manifested as b-sides or remixes. I can't say the SFTBC reissue has all of them, but it seems to have most.

The name "Tears For Fears" was inspired by the work of psychologist Arthur Janov. Janov had a "primal scream" theory. "Primal scream" therapy was extremely trendy in the '70s. Contrary to popular belief, it did not necessarily involve screaming. Unfortunately Janov's work suffered at the hands of incompetent followers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Janov
TFF called "The Hurting" their Janov album. However, psychological themes play heavily in SFTBC. The title "Songs From The Big Chair" was inspired by the TV-movie "Sybil" starring Sally Field. Sybil felt comfortable only in her therapist's "big chair."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_%28book%29
I never read the book. The movie is excellent...and creepy as hell. It's important to remember Flora Rheta Schreiber embellished the "multiple personality" storyline. Bona-fide "multiple personality disorder," in which an individual has two or more fully formed personalities does exist, but it is extremely rare. The erratic affects of schizophrenic patients erroneously got labeled as MPD when it was not as such at all. Also, MPD makes great drama, as evidenced by "Sybil," and "The Three Faces of Eve." Anyway...

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/05/06 at 12:26 pm

What do you recommend I buy to get into Tears for Fears, Maxwell?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/05/06 at 12:29 pm

I heard, "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" the other day on the radio....it had been ages since I heard that song...it was good to hear it.  This should be really cool! 8)

Written By: Davester on 06/06/06 at 1:35 am

Alright!  Wasn't aware of this reissue.  Remastered also, no doubt...

I'm like, sooo totally there, like, you know...

Check for new replies or respond here...