inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help! 80s songs I can't identify

Written By: searching1980s on 06/05/06 at 12:41 pm

I heard all these in 1984 on the Vegas college station and can't  complete my Vegas Best collection without them.  If you can identify the titles and/or bands from these scraps of lyrics I would appreciate the help.  They might be European imports as they played a lot.  Also would appreciate any info on that station whose call numbers etc. I can't remember.  It was great.

1)  you can stand beside me but I can't help you decide -- through every wave, every wave, every wave must have it's tide -- don

Subject: Re: Help! 80s songs I can't identify

Written By: searching1980s on 06/08/06 at 8:26 am

Did no one recognize any of these?  Wow, they must be more obscure than I realized.  I was hoping some of the European and British participants could help, as the college station in Las Vegas in 1984 had someone bringing vinyl from overseas on a regular basis. I remember now that the program that played most of this stuff was called "Rock Avenue" (and the exception was the phone sex spoof which I think I heard on Dr. Demento). 

I googled all my remembered lyrics and found several other songs/bands that I was able to find and purchase on ebay, but for these I've found nothing.

Would appreciate any leads, even wild guesses, as I'm really stuck here.

Written By: karen on 06/08/06 at 11:08 am

Here's a link to a site which has links to various rockabilly band sites.  Maybe you will recognise a band name?

http://www.raucousrecords.com/links/links.asp

Written By: snozberries on 06/11/06 at 3:05 pm

I thought number two might be Dreaming Girl by Bel Canto but it came out in 87  The song appears to share some of the same lyrics though

Dreaming girl
Bel Canto
I am such a peculiar girl
Have my dreams and thoughts in another world
But I live my life
So lost in time, so lost in space
I belong to an unknown human race
But I live my life

Perhaps, I will come back again
But I, I don't bother how or when

See all my dreams don't belong to you
They have nothing with your world to do
They just live my life
So who are you, o' so wise
Who can tell what is wrong or right

And I'll just stay right where I am
My dreams belong to dreaming land

I'm not coming back again, my dreams
Belonging to dreaming land, that's why
I'll stay right where I am, see I
I don't need a helping hand

I am such a peculiar girl
Keep my secret thoughts in a secret world
That's how I live my life
So don't tell me how one's supposed to live
'Cause your eyes don't shine, they have done their time
You have lived your life

That's why, I'll stay right where I am
'Cause I, I don't want to die my friend

No I, I don't want those withered eyes
'Cause I, I want to live my life
No I, don't want those withered eyes
See, I want to live to live my life

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/11/06 at 7:22 pm

3) Hi, my name is Tammy and I'm the kind of girl who'll do anything -- I don't care, I love it -- whatever you desire.  I like to watch

File 13.  Taste So Good

The original version was 4:47, and the Hot Tracks remix service did a 6:24 version on a compilation called "Edge of the 80s".  (Get the original -- the Hot Tracks version that starts out with a narrator/DJ warning listeners away is cute -- but he ruins the whole song by editing out the male caller's last line of the track, which is the punchline.  ARGH!)

Meanwhile, does anyone remember a remix of The Cult's Love Removal Machine where they mixed in some other random phone sex line?

Hey, my college radio station played Karen Finley's Tales of Taboo when they thought the FCC wasn't listening. They had to lead into it with something...

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 9:06 am

File 13.  Taste So Good

The original version was 4:47, and the Hot Tracks remix service did a 6:24 version on a compilation called "Edge of the 80s".   (Get the original -- the Hot Tracks version that starts out with a narrator/DJ warning listeners away is cute -- but he ruins the whole song by editing out the male caller's last line of the track, which is the punchline.  ARGH!)

Thanks!  I see several 12" singles out there but am wondering if it (the original 4:47 version) wound up on any CD compilations?  Anyone know?

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 9:06 am

Here's a link to a site which has links to various rockabilly band sites.  Maybe you will recognise a band name?

http://www.raucousrecords.com/links/links.asp

I'm trying, hoping it will ring a bell.  Thanks.

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 9:14 am

I thought number two might be Dreaming Girl by Bel Canto but it came out in 87 

This one's not a match but oddly enough I heard a lot of songs in 84 on the Vegas college station years before they became hits nationwide.  The DJs I talked to told me that lots of bands tried out demo versions on the Vegas audience before taking them to L.A.  Some of those songs I didn't hear again until years later with completely different beats and instrumentation.  Of course that makes rebuilding my Memories collection especially problematic....

Written By: searching1980s on 06/12/06 at 9:29 am

4) Bass drum bass drum bass drum timbale timbale tim tim tim

I don't know the band Sigue Sigue Sputnik but a snippet of their one tune I have heard -- Love Missile F1-11, the background vocals from 50 to 55 seconds in -- makes me think that band or some of its members might have done the Bass Drum Timbale piece I'm looking for.  (I'm not really crazy about the rest of the Sputnik piece.)  Anyone out there know more about them, their albums and/or other bands they participated in?  Or someone else who sound like that 5 second sample?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/12/06 at 10:35 pm

I don't know the band Sigue Sigue Sputnik but a snippet of their one tune I have heard -- Love Missile F1-11, the background vocals from 50 to 55 seconds in -- makes me think that band or some of its members might have done the Bass Drum Timbale piece I'm looking for.  (I'm not really crazy about the rest of the Sputnik piece.)  Anyone out there know more about them, their albums and/or other bands they participated in?  Or someone else who sound like that 5 second sample?

Sputnik was underrated.  Start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigue_Sigue_Sputnik

...and get thee to the canonical Sputnik Site:

http://www.sputnikworld.com/

Heh, which remix? (F1-11 had dozens of remixes.  And which lyrics/samples?  Most F1-11 remixes also had dozens of samples each.  There's a sample of the William Tell Overture from the movie "Clockwork Orange" at 0:55 on the Dakeyne remix, Dirty Harry blowing someone away on the Madman/Speedranch remix, some echos of "Blaster bombb.b.bombombobm" on the radio edit, some faked samples from Scarface on the ("Re-Recording II") version that appeared on the album, and some Japanese vocals on the Bangkok mix. (yeah, I checked.  I'm good, but I'm not that good!)) 

I don't recall any Sputnik tracks whose lyrics consisted solely of instrument names, but what with Sputnik lyrics being what they were ("Missiles, glamor, guns and sex!"), who knows what lines might have stuck in your mind. 

Maybe more usefully, which sample/lyric/instrument names?  If they were samples, I'm pretty good with samples.

There weren't too many bands that sounded like Sputnik, but the one thing Sputnik was, was consistent.  If you liked any of their songs, you'd probably like all of their songs :)

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/12/06 at 10:42 pm

Thanks!  I see several 12" singles out there but am wondering if it (the original 4:47 version) wound up on any CD compilations?  Anyone know?

w00t!

http://www.nwoutpost.com/nwcomps.html

80's Dance Party Volume 2, (1994 CA; SPG Music SPG 1982)

Written By: searching1980s on 06/14/06 at 11:38 am

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far.  I don't have time to check all the leads today so I'll get back with details soon on which Missile version, etc.  This is a great group for doing research with!

Written By: searching1980s on 06/14/06 at 1:34 pm

Heh, which remix? (F1-11 had dozens of remixes.  And which lyrics/samples?  Most F1-11 remixes also had dozens of samples each.  There's a sample of the William Tell Overture from the movie "Clockwork Orange" at 0:55 on the Dakeyne remix, Dirty Harry blowing someone away on the Madman/Speedranch remix, some echos of "Blaster bombb.b.bombombobm" on the radio edit, some faked samples from Scarface on the ("Re-Recording II") version that appeared on the album, and some Japanese vocals on the Bangkok mix. (yeah, I checked.  I'm good, but I'm not that good!))   

I don't recall any Sputnik tracks whose lyrics consisted solely of instrument names, but what with Sputnik lyrics being what they were ("Missiles, glamor, guns and sex!"), who knows what lines might have stuck in your mind. 

Maybe more usefully, which sample/lyric/instrument names?  If they were samples, I'm pretty good with samples.

There weren't too many bands that sounded like Sputnik, but the one thing Sputnik was, was consistent.  If you liked any of their songs, you'd probably like all of their songs :)

Wow, you know a lot more about this band than I do.  I just came across Love Missile when I bought Living In Oblivion:  The 80's Greatest Hits, Volume 2 which I bought for 88 Lines about 44 Women.  So I don't really know where that particular version came from originally.  I just know that when I play 50 seconds into it there are about 5 seconds that sound as if they could have been the band that did that weird thing with two male voices scatting and singing lyrics that consisted entirely of the instrument names, especially 'Bass drum bass drum bass drum' (that was the bass line) and 'Timbale timbale tim tim tim!' sort of screeched up high.  Doesn't sound like something someone would search years for, I know, but I've got it stuck in my head and want to get it stuck in the machine instead.  The only other band I can think of that occasionally sounded like this one was Oingo Boingo -- instrumentation, not so much voices -- or maybe Fishbone in some mood I never heard them in. 
Does any of this help any?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/14/06 at 11:10 pm

Wow, you know a lot more about this band than I do.  I just came across Love Missile when I bought Living In Oblivion:  The 80's Greatest Hits, Volume 2 which I bought for 88 Lines about 44 Women.  So I don't really know where that particular version came from originally.  I just know that when I play 50 seconds into it there are about 5 seconds that sound as if they could have been the band that did that weird thing with two male voices scatting and singing lyrics that consisted entirely of the instrument names, especially 'Bass drum bass drum bass drum' (that was the bass line) and 'Timbale timbale tim tim tim!' sort of screeched up high.  Doesn't sound like something someone would search years for, I know, but I've got it stuck in my head and want to get it stuck in the machine instead.  The only other band I can think of that occasionally sounded like this one was Oingo Boingo -- instrumentation, not so much voices -- or maybe Fishbone in some mood I never heard them in. 
Does any of this help any?

Actually, it does.  That's most likely the radio version at 3:45.

The lyric on my radio version at 0:50 is along the lines of "blaster bomb, bomb bomb ahead", with the echoes of "bomobombombombom..." being echoed off into the background.  Couple of gunbursts going left/right at 1:20-1:25, and a few references to "Terminator" (just the word, not a sample from the movie), at 1:26ish, right? 

Could it have been "bum-bum-bum-bum" instead of "bassdrum"?  And "Din daa daa?  Doh doh doh." instead of "Timable, tim tim tim?", and the occasional "crash!  crash!"?    Lots of scatty "lyrics" throughout it.  Solid housey backbeat. 

If so, could it be George Kranz, "Din Da Da"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kranz

Someone did a cover version recently, which might also be worth a listen:

http://www.kalamu.com/bol/2006/04/15/210/

Written By: searching1980s on 06/15/06 at 9:30 am

Actually, it does.  That's most likely the radio version at 3:45.

The lyric on my radio version at 0:50 is along the lines of "blaster bomb, bomb bomb ahead", with the echoes of "bomobombombombom..." being echoed off into the background.  Couple of gunbursts going left/right at 1:20-1:25, and a few references to "Terminator" (just the word, not a sample from the movie), at 1:26ish, right? 

Could it have been "bum-bum-bum-bum" instead of "bassdrum"?  And "Din daa daa?  Doh doh doh." instead of "Timable, tim tim tim?", and the occasional "crash!  crash!"?    Lots of scatty "lyrics" throughout it.  Solid housey backbeat. 

If so, could it be George Kranz, "Din Da Da"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kranz

Someone did a cover version recently, which might also be worth a listen:

http://www.kalamu.com/bol/2006/04/15/210/

Wow -- you found it!  Not that cut but Wild Vocals off the Din Da Da album. Thanks so much.  I should have realized I was hearing accents in those three or four words that made up the entire lyric -- but it could have just been slurred from too much fun.  I already searched out another German from that era with equally bizarre material I can't get out of my head:  Nina Hagen's Universal Radio and Born in Xixax are also favorites.
So that makes 2 out of 5 found that were lost.  I'm getting pretty close to having my ultimate 84 play list together.  Thanks again.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/06 at 9:25 pm

Wow -- you found it!  Not that cut but Wild Vocals off the Din Da Da album.

Damn you.  Now I have to go find the album.  I always thought Kranz was a one-obscure-12"-wonder!  (And I'll also have to check out the Nina Hagen tracks you mentioned.  Long as we're sharing, have you heard Nina Hagen's So Bad as remixed by 90s techno greats Utah Saints?  Find it.  Well worth a listen.)

Seriously, you're welcome.  It's what we're here for. 

Have you also tried the "lyrics" forum on inthe00s.com  for the last three tracks?  Or do you have a few more lines you remember and/or could share?  I'm afraid I drew a blank on all of 'em. 

Written By: searching1980s on 06/16/06 at 9:23 am

Damn you.  Now I have to go find the album.  I always thought Kranz was a one-obscure-12"-wonder!   (And I'll also have to check out the Nina Hagen tracks you mentioned.  Long as we're sharing, have you heard Nina Hagen's So Bad as remixed by 90s techno greats Utah Saints?  Find it.  Well worth a listen.)

Seriously, you're welcome.  It's what we're here for. 

Have you also tried the "lyrics" forum on inthe00s.com  for the last three tracks?  Or do you have a few more lines you remember and/or could share?  I'm afraid I drew a blank on all of 'em. 

There's a 12" EP with these tracks:
A1  Bass Drum Ma Bass Drum
B1  Wild Vocals
B2  Din Dub Dub
that I'm stalking now.  Looks like maybe three versions of the same piece.  (Funny that none of my title or lyric searches brought up that Bass Drum Ma Bass Drum title.  I must have used too long a string every time.  But if you enter just bass drum you get ads and information for musicians about instruments, etc.)

The Nina Hagen I bought then on cassette was NunSexMonkRock which is now on CD with the album Nina Hagen Band.  I had to go to vinyl for Universal Radio because Ekstasy was just out of my budget, but I got two versions that way.  There's also a German version of course, which I haven't heard.  I'll look for the Utah Saints remix.

I've been buying vinyl even though I don't have a turntable right now, because I know I will have to go that route eventually to complete this collection.  That was a very transitional time both musically and mechanically, so lots of my favorite stuff never made it to digital formats -- at least, not yet.

I'll see if I can dig out more lyrics -- maybe self-hypnosis will do the trick?  ;D  Or just thinking about the songs right before sleep sometimes works.

Thanks for the tip on the forum -- I'm pretty new here and hadn't found it.  I'll copy my original post there and see what happens but I'll keep following this one too.

FYI:  The Fishbone that I liked best was the track When Problems Arise.  My favorite B-52s was Throw That Beat In the Garbage Can.  Absolutely none of my friends, then or now, get why I love this stuff so much.  Fortuantely music works just fine as a private pleasure.

Thanks again. 

Written By: searching1980s on 06/19/06 at 11:25 am

I've posted (almost) complete lyrics to the three remaining songs on the lyrics forum.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/20/06 at 11:31 pm

I've posted (almost) complete lyrics to the three remaining songs on the lyrics forum.

Saw 'em.  Unfortunately, none of 'em ring a bell with me.  Someone will eventually come up with 'em.  Hopefully sooner than later, but at least Google will pick 'em up.

(That's how I found this place. A random google landed me on the lyrics board.  Found that someone had posted some lyrics I'd been looking for for years.)

Written By: searching1980s on 06/21/06 at 8:33 am

hadn't realized Google searches would bring to the messageboard.  (It brought me to the compliation lists and reviews, but somehow that seems different.)  These posts stay up for an indefinte period?  I can see where that could really help.
I appreciate your help finding my way here.  I posted a request that someone award you the karma points that I can't yet.

Check for new replies or respond here...