inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Golden Girls

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/06/06 at 2:54 pm

Is anybody else here a fan?

Subject: Re: The Golden Girls

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/06/06 at 4:37 pm

I enjoyed watching that on Saturday nights prior to the news. We'd sit our little tooshes on my mom's bed and sit for hours watching Saturday night TV shows, all the way up until Apollo came on after Saturday Night Live.

Written By: Sugafairey on 06/06/06 at 4:42 pm

Rather worryingly, when I was about 7 I wanted to be Blanche so badly.

What a strange child!

:o

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/06/06 at 5:44 pm

What a strange child!

They were fairly attractive older women  ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/06/06 at 6:20 pm

They were fairly attractive older women  ;D

Rue McClanahan was only like 50 at the time the show came on, being born in 1935. Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, and Betty White were all about 62 or 63. Bea Arthur was actually older than Estelle Getty, who played her mother, by nine months, and the makeup for Estelle Getty to "become" Sofia took like 45 minutes to be applied. I think Rose and Dorothy were supposed to be in their mid-'50s, which makes me release that younger people acted older back before the boomers hit that age in the late '90s and changed things around (my mom is 51.)

Originally, Rue McClanahan was supposed to be Betty White's character, and wasn't supposed to have a Southern accent. But Rue McClanahan fell in love with that role, though she had originally intended to be Rose. I think, since Rue was Bea's sidekick on Maude, Bea said something like she didn't want to repeat that show.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/06/06 at 6:39 pm

I'm definitely a fan, as I wrote a book about the show (check the link in my siggy)... definitely one of the best-written and acted sitcoms of the 80s, and of all times. I was lucky enough to have participated in Lifetime Television's 20th Anniversary of the show in New York last October with comedians Mo Rocca and Judy Gold and it was a blast. Alas, the "Girls" didn't appear, but it was a great experience. I'm thrilled all of the seasons are now being released on DVD! :)

Written By: robby76 on 06/06/06 at 8:19 pm

That show was a classic and each episode was guaranteed funny! I have the dvds released and it's perfect for late nights.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/07/06 at 12:29 am

Rue McClanahan was only like 50 at the time the show came on, being born in 1935. Bea Arthur, Estelle Getty, and Betty White were all about 62 or 63. Bea Arthur was actually older than Estelle Getty, who played her mother, by nine months, and the makeup for Estelle Getty to "become" Sofia took like 45 minutes to be applied. I think Rose and Dorothy were supposed to be in their mid-'50s, which makes me release that younger people acted older back before the boomers hit that age in the late '90s and changed things around (my mom is 51.)

Originally, Rue McClanahan was supposed to be Betty White's character, and wasn't supposed to have a Southern accent. But Rue McClanahan fell in love with that role, though she had originally intended to be Rose. I think, since Rue was Bea's sidekick on Maude, Bea said something like she didn't want to repeat that show.

I always thought that Betty White was like my mother, Bea Arthur was my Aunt Diane and Rue was my Aunt Penny. They each perfectly act like them. And of course, Estelle Getty was my grandma - no nonsense (minus the Sicilian Italian)

They did act a lot older than they really seemed to be. Even Estelle Getty who wasn't probably more than her mid-70's in character, acted a lot older - like a woman in her '80s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/07/06 at 8:41 am

I always thought that Betty White was like my mother, Bea Arthur was my Aunt Diane and Rue was my Aunt Penny. They each perfectly act like them. And of course, Estelle Getty was my grandma - no nonsense (minus the Sicilian Italian)

They did act a lot older than they really seemed to be. Even Estelle Getty who wasn't probably more than her mid-70's in character, acted a lot older - like a woman in her '80s.

Actually, Estelle Getty's character was supposed to be born in 1906, so she would be in her 80s in the show. But Dorothy and Rose acted more like people in their 60s or 70s, but were supposed to be somewhere in their "upper middle age" for most of the show. So your mom is like Rose, lol?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/08/06 at 5:07 am

I definitely related to the "Girls" as my surrogate grandmothers watching the show as a child. My grandmother loved the show and we lived far away from each other back then, so I do recall us watching the show together when I was very young, so that's probably why I enjoy the series so much, as it reminds me of my grandmother... :)

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/08/06 at 11:00 am

I love The Golden Girls, especially Dorothy and Rose. I've always wanted to sit down and talk to Rose for hours. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/08/06 at 12:40 pm

What a strange child!

When I was seven I wanted to date Blanche so badly.

The term 'messed up' springs to mind.  ;D

Written By: Classie83 on 06/09/06 at 11:07 pm

Is anybody else here a fan?

Not a fan....but enjoyed the show thoroughly...I actually thought Blanche was pretty....*shudders*

Written By: Sugafairey on 06/21/06 at 11:05 am

When I was seven I wanted to date Blanche so badly.

The term 'messed up' springs to mind.  ;D

See you around the psychiatric ward!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 11:52 am

Fan? I'm a Golden Girl groupie. I've seen every episode many, many, many times, even the episodes of Golden Palace.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 11:59 am

Fan? I'm a Golden Girl groupie. I've seen every episode many, many, many times, even the episodes of Golden Palace.

Golden Palace was all right, but it was very formulaic and same old-same old, and it being without Dorothy ruined it.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/21/06 at 3:38 pm

The Golden Palace was good, but without Dorothy (Bea Arthur), it just wasn't the same...

Written By: Bobby on 06/22/06 at 1:02 pm

See you around the psychiatric ward!

Heh heh,

You pretend to be her and I'll date you.  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/22/06 at 5:57 pm

Golden Palace was all right, but it was very formulaic and same old-same old, and it being without Dorothy ruined it.

True, she was very much the straight one that kept things moving.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/06 at 9:51 pm

Great idea, had some good bits. Unfortunately, that brand of elder-humor (for lack of a better term) got hackneyed awfully quick!

Written By: stlkev70 on 06/23/06 at 10:01 pm

I actually loved that show so much that I would not go on dates if it was an episode I wanted to see!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/23/06 at 10:54 pm

I actually loved that show so much that I would not go on dates if it was an episode I wanted to see!

Hey, Kev!!! :) You were certainly one devoted fan!!! :)

Written By: ralfy on 06/15/16 at 4:55 pm

"You won't believe how much 'Deadpool' paid to use Bea Arthur's image"

http://www.metv.com/stories/you-wont-believe-how-much-deadpool-paid-to-use-bea-arthurs-image

"‘Golden Girls’ As Relevant As Ever, Thanks To ‘Deadpool’ And Funko Dolls"

http://www.inquisitr.com/2803067/golden-girls-as-relevant-as-ever-thanks-to-deadpool-and-funko-dolls/

Check for new replies or respond here...