inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Roth era Van Halen song

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/08/06 at 11:44 pm

Personally I'd say Jump, but Eruption and the cover of the Kinks You Really Got Me is a close second.

Subject: Re: Favorite Roth era Van Halen song

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 12:05 am

JUMP!

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/09/06 at 2:22 am

I chose other. It would be a tie between Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait. Those two songs bring back so many memories of 6th grade. 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/06 at 11:33 am

I chose other. It would be a tie between Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait. Those two songs bring back so many memories of 6th grade. 8)

Oh, I thought "Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait" was the name of a single song! "Whatever could that refer to?," I wondered!

I do remember "I'll Wait," but not being a hard rock fan, I never bought any VH albums, so I don't know the deep cuts or the b-sides.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/06 at 12:42 pm

Panama followed by Jump.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/09/06 at 3:19 pm

Hot for Teacher, which is funny seeing that I grew up to become, what my hubby calls, a TILF (a teacher I'd like to, er, nevermind)

Then Panama and Jump

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/09/06 at 10:27 pm

Oh, I thought "Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait" was the name of a single song! "Whatever could that refer to?," I wondered!

I do remember "I'll Wait," but not being a hard rock fan, I never bought any VH albums, so I don't know the deep cuts or the b-sides.
I highly recommend you go buy or download their album 1984. The songs I mentioned are buried gems on the album. It is famous for Jump, Panama, and Hot for Teacher, but Drop Dead Legs and I'll Wait are two of the best VH songs ever. I'll Wait gets airplay even today, although it wasn't released as a single. I have no idea why Drop Dead Legs wasn't released as a single. It would have been huge that year.

Written By: Tia on 06/09/06 at 10:38 pm

i'm a big diver down fan. intruder/secrets and little guitars are great sorta ballad-y numbers, and intruder and cathedral are both great overlooked EVH tours-de-force. (he pulls out all the tricks on intruder, from the beer can to strumming the whammy bar springs on the back of the guitar to hitting the strings above the nut.) i also love jamie's crying, i think that one's a real standout.

i dunno, i like all their stuff from their first few albums. i think 1984 they started going downhill and after that i stopped paying attention. i think they're still together!

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/10/06 at 10:27 am

Id say Unchained.  I love the main riff and Alex's drumming is insane!!  When I crank it up the adrenaline starts pumping.  I always get a laugh at DLR's quick improvisation.  I assume he's talking to the producer or recording engineer??? anyone know??

DLR: "WOO HOOO, TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!!  WOO HOO THAT SUIT IS YOUUUUUUU, YOU'RE GONNA GET SOME LEG TO-NIGHT FOR SUURRREE, TELL US HOW YOU DOOOOHOOHOO!!"

(miked in voice): "come on Dave give me a break"

DLR:  "ONE BREAK COMING UP!!!"

hahaha

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 11:50 am

Jump

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/10/06 at 9:03 pm

My vote went to "other"..as  I'll Wait  was my personal favorite.  :)

Written By: Tia on 06/16/06 at 11:38 pm

i'm listening to "secrets" right now!

man, the way EVH rides that 12-string. it's the best. i love this album.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/16/06 at 11:38 pm

Jump!

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/06 at 11:39 pm

Jump was the only one that I really liked best.  The others were just songs that I heard on the radio that were good, but I wouldn't voluntarily listen to

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/16/06 at 11:40 pm

Running With The Devil.  Jump is too predictable. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/16/06 at 11:51 pm

Jump!
Eruption and 1984 were good songs too.

Check for new replies or respond here...