inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Main Differences Between the 'Look' of the Early and Late 80s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 12:40 pm

To me the 80s seemed a very generic sort of decade in terms of the look of the fashion, technology, cars.etc. Like you couldn't really tell the difference between early and late 80s fashions, because they remained fairly static throughout. Even the music - mainly synthpop and hair-metal - didn't really seem to change much. In 1980 you had Van Halen, AC/DC, Twisted Sister.etc - in 1989 all those bands were still there, and you had Guns and Roses and Bon Jovi which could easily have fitted into a stadium circa 1981. Overall, why do you think 80s culture changed so little? The 90s as a decade were quite varied; there is a world of difference between 1990 and 1999 in all aspects (I need not explain). What hindered - or prolonged - the development of real culture in the 80s?

Subject: Re: Main Differences Between the 'Look' of the Early and Late 80s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 3:39 pm

To me the 80s seemed a very generic sort of decade in terms of the look of the fashion, technology, cars.etc. Like you couldn't really tell the difference between early and late 80s fashions, because they remained fairly static throughout. Even the music - mainly synthpop and hair-metal - didn't really seem to change much. In 1980 you had Van Halen, AC/DC, Twisted Sister.etc - in 1989 all those bands were still there, and you had Guns and Roses and Bon Jovi which could easily have fitted into a stadium circa 1981. Overall, why do you think 80s culture changed so little? The 90s as a decade were quite varied; there is a world of difference between 1990 and 1999 in all aspects (I need not explain). What hindered - or prolonged - the development of real culture in the 80s?

'80s culture changed a great deal, actually. In say 1980 you had the aftermath of disco, most styles and ways of being were still '70s, people were still using LPs and VCRs were almost unknown. By 1989, you had alternative rock and rap being immensely popular, the proliferation of a new urban culture, hair metal, VCRS/computers/CD players being ubiquitous, etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/12/06 at 3:42 pm

There's a big difference between the early '80s and late '80s. The early '80s still look a little '70s ish while the late '80s are kind of proto- '90s in a way. Cars changed a lot and got a lot smaller by the end of the '80s. Technology changed a great deal as well, computers and CD players became very popular items by the end of the '80s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/06 at 3:47 pm

What ^ and ^^ said. ;)

The '80s were the beginning of the digital revolution, especially starting around 1986. Plus, it was the start of many things still in use today -- music videos, CDs, video games, etc. It maybe wasn't as massive on a world scale as the '60s were, but compare 1981 wit 1987 and it's way different.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/12/06 at 5:19 pm

I agree, Marty. 

The early '80s were still very '70s like, although there were still those hints of what we know today as the '80s that hadn't gone full fledge.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/06 at 8:23 pm

What ^ and ^^ said. ;)

The '80s were the beginning of the digital revolution, especially starting around 1986. Plus, it was the start of many things still in use today -- music videos, CDs, video games, etc. It maybe wasn't as massive on a world scale as the '60s were, but compare 1981 wit 1987 and it's way different.

Yeah, I agree. The early and late '80s are pretty different. As mentioned the early '80s were still '70s like with traces of disco and what not. I think the two most dramatic changes in the '80s took place in 1983 and 1986.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 9:37 pm

Yes, I know there was a large change in terms of the popular media/culture throughout the 80s, but what I'm contending is the overall urban 'look' and the styles, decor and fashion of the 80s remained pretty similar overall. Indeed, if you watch a movie like 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' and a movie made in the very late 80s or 1990 like 'Pretty Woman', you won't really find much difference. The same boxy cars, the same big hair - though the 80s may have been quite 'changeful', they were certainly not as varied as the 60s, 70s or even the 90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/12/06 at 11:56 pm

I think the early Eighties were the Eighties, but had a huge '70s influence, even as late as 1983. The '80s were a pretty slow changing decade, especially compared to the '60s, '70s, and '90s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 11:59 pm

I think the early Eighties were the Eighties, but had a huge '70s influence, even as late as 1983. The '80s were a pretty slow changing decade, especially compared to the '60s, '70s, and '90s.

Exactly the point I was trying to drive across.

Written By: 1993 on 06/13/06 at 3:08 pm

late 80's seemed very "denim" to me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:25 pm

late 80's seemed very "denim" to me.

Yeah, Denim and Hair-metal go together like peas and carrots. Early 80s was all about leather jackets and studs, from the punk fashion explosion.

Check for new replies or respond here...