inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is "Take on Me" the most popular '80s song, in retrospect?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:11 pm

Although Take on Me wasn't the most popular song of the '80s during the '80s (although it's pretty high on the list), would anyone agree that it's the most popular song among '80s nostalgists?

Subject: Re: Is "Take on Me" the most popular '80s song, in retrospect?

Written By: Bobby on 06/13/06 at 5:09 pm

The song seems to epitomise the 80s but so does the song 'Come on Eileen' by Dexy's Midnight Runners and that one does my head in.

However, I do love that song and it holds memories for me.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/13/06 at 9:56 pm

Well, it's one of the top ones, IMO..but I definitely think the video is one of the most popular videos of the 1980's.  :)

I just love a-ha, even now. Their newer cd's are great too!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:23 pm

I'd argue it was Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears. I remember they played that song to death on the radio, together with 'Friday, I'm in Love' by the Cure, 'Take On Me' by A-Ha, and 'Whip It' by Devo.

Written By: jackas on 06/14/06 at 8:12 am

I think it was the video for Take on Me that was so popular, not necessarily the song.

Written By: jlp937 on 06/14/06 at 9:32 am

I think that it was definitely one of the more cool videos of the 80s and it was a very catchy tune, but I don't think it was the most popular of the decade.  However, I do think that in retrospect "Take on Me" was a major theme of most people's lives in this decade, for sure!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 3:24 pm

I'd say it's in the top ten, but probably not #1.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/14/06 at 4:45 pm

Not even close.

Pick a single, any single of off Thriller.

Written By: robby76 on 06/14/06 at 9:19 pm

If you're talking globally, I'd say Michael Jackson and a Thriller single would be more recognised and popular... and I mean people from China, Asia, Middle East, Africa etc. MJ was a phenomenon. But he's saying "amongst 80s nostalgists".

I like "Take On Me" but it's been so overplayed I get bored of it.

Written By: Chasey on 06/15/06 at 6:37 am

I'd argue it was Everybody Wants To Rule The World by Tears for Fears. I remember they played that song to death on the radio, together with 'Friday, I'm in Love' by the Cure, 'Take On Me' by A-Ha, and 'Whip It' by Devo.

I think in order to evaluate this more clearly, you have to analyze what is still popular today.  Although both songs were played to death, today only 'Take On Me' has retained it's popularity with a whole new generation. 

I don't think you can say the same for 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World', as I hardly ever hear it now.

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 9:30 am

I think in order to evaluate this more clearly, you have to analyze what is still popular today.  Although both songs were played to death, today only 'Take On Me' has retained it's popularity with a whole new generation. 

I don't think you can say the same for 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World', as I hardly ever hear it now.

I think that is how I would evaluate 'Take on me' as well - an 80s party is not an 80s party without it.

Written By: wsmith4 on 06/15/06 at 10:05 am

the undisputably most popular song of the 80's is "Material Girl" by Madonna

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 11:09 am

the undisputably most popular song of the 80's is "Material Girl" by Madonna

Ah! From the Madonna fan . . .  ;D

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 12:12 pm

Not even close.

Pick a single, any single of off Thriller.

Definitely or Purple Rain!!!!

Definitely! Can I hear "Take on Me" and feel the same about now? No. I've had my fill.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 12:27 pm

I'm tired of "Take on Me" now. After the five hundreth time I've played it  ;D

Written By: Satish on 06/15/06 at 1:31 pm

'Friday, I'm in Love' by the Cure,.

"Friday, I'm in Love" by the Cure is from 1992.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/15/06 at 2:49 pm

I would say "Take On Me" is the most popular.  It was a #1 hit in October 1985 (Only for 1 week though) but the Music Video was amazing at the time.

Wait a minute...so "Everybody Wants To Rule the World" was a Hit in the Summer of 1985, and you're 20 years old...how on earth could you remember them playing that song to death on the Radio? or any of those other songs mentioned for that matter  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:23 pm

Wait a minute...so "Everybody Wants To Rule the World" was a Hit in the Summer of 1985, and you're 20 years old...how on earth could you remember them playing that song to death on the Radio? or any of those other songs mentioned for that matter  ;D

Good call, Walker.  :)

k.

Written By: jackas on 06/15/06 at 5:50 pm

I would say "Take On Me" is the most popular.  It was a #1 hit in October 1985 (Only for 1 week though) but the Music Video was amazing at the time.

Take On Me was not the most popular.  After all, just like you said, it was only #1 for one week.  The were many songs that were #1 hits for much longer.  How about Billie Jean.  Now by no means is Billie Jean the most popular, but it was more popular than Take On Me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/15/06 at 6:10 pm

Take On Me was not the most popular.  After all, just like you said, it was only #1 for one week.  The were many songs that were #1 hits for much longer.  How about Billie Jean.  Now by no means is Billie Jean the most popular, but it was more popular than Take On Me.

Exactly - You took the words right out of my mouth  ;)

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/15/06 at 6:12 pm

I'm talking about "today".  I'm not saying it was the biggest '80s song at the time it was popular.  Obviously there were other hits that were at #1 longer, but alot of those aren't as popular today as "Take On Me"

Take a song like "Bette Davis Eyes" from 1981 for instance (Which was one of the most overplayed/popular songs during the '80s, and was a #1 Hit for multiple weeks) and try and tell me which song you think people remember more.

So just because a song was more successful during the '80s, doesn't make it more popular in today's era.

Heck, even "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice was #1 for only 1 Week, but it's arguably the most popular '90s song  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/15/06 at 6:19 pm

I'm talking about "today".  I'm not saying it was the biggest '80s song at the time it was popular.  Obviously there were other hits that were at #1 longer, but alot of those aren't as popular today as "Take On Me"

Take a song like "Bette Davis Eyes" from 1981 for instance (Which was one of the most overplayed/popular songs during the '80s, and was a #1 Hit for multiple weeks) and try and tell me which song you think people remember more.

So just because a song was more successful during the '80s, doesn't make it more popular in today's era.

Heck, even "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice was #1 for only 1 Week, but it's arguably the most popular '90s song  ;)

To be honest, I think it depends on the person and when and where and how old they were. It's really hard to pinpoint just 1 song as being the most popular of the decade. I would still consider other songs besides "Take On Me" as the most popular.

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 6:27 pm

I totally agree - 'Everything I do (I do it for you)' by Bryan Adams was No 1 in the UK for about 16/17 weeks! I barely hear it played anywhere now. Yes the song was made in 1991 but I was just illustrating Walker's point.

They way I see the term 'popular' in this context is how preserved the song is and stays in the public conscience. When most people think of 80s music, somewhere along the line 'Take on me' (song or video) by A-ha crops up. I go to an 80s club in my city and 'Take on me' is always played everytime.

Written By: jackas on 06/15/06 at 10:34 pm

I think this comes down to which song you happen to like the best today.  If you happen to really like Take On Me, well of course it's going to seem like the best song from the 80's.  But, I really don't think that you can pick out one song and say it was THE best song of the 80's, there is just too many to choose from.  And since I was between the age of 7 - 16 during the 80's, it's hard for me to take the personal experience away and see the 80's as a teen today might see them.  But to tell you my opinion, when I think of the songs that epitomize the 80s, I think....

Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners 
Der Kommissar - After The Fire 
Don't You Forget About Me - Simple Minds
Rock Me Amadeus - Falco 
Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper

Check for new replies or respond here...