inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nik Kershaw - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/06 at 8:21 pm

ALBUMS
1984 - Human Racing
1984 - The Riddle
1986 - Radio Musicola
1989 - The Works
1991 - The Collection
1999 - 15 Minutes
2001 - To Be Frank
2005 - Then and Now
2006 - You've Got to Laugh

SINGLES
1983 - I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
1984 - Wouldn't it Be Good
1984 - Dancing Girls
1984 - I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me <re-issue>
1984 - Human Racing
1984 - The Riddle
1985 - Wide Boy
1985 - Don Quixote
1985 - When a Heart Beats
1986 - Nobody Knows
1986 - Radio Musicola
1989 - One Step Ahead
1999 - Somebody Loves You
2001 - Wounded

Subject: Re: Best Nik Kershaw Song

Written By: woops on 06/13/06 at 8:23 pm

"Wouldn't It Be Good"  8)

Written By: robby76 on 06/13/06 at 8:26 pm

I vote for ALL!!! Nik Kershaw is the greatest! My sister had the maddest crush on him. I recently bought his latest cd and dvd collection "Then & Now".

Out of all those I went for Human Racing... kinda dark yet so well written. But I seriously love them all.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/13/06 at 9:02 pm

I have to vote for "Wouldn't It Be Good?", but I also really like "The Riddle" and "Wide Boy". :)

Written By: robby76 on 06/13/06 at 9:40 pm

"Wide Boy" is great too. In fact "When A Heartbeat" is too... the breakdown in the middle is class.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/13/06 at 9:54 pm

I've always loved Wouldn't it be Good?    :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 3:27 pm

I chose "Wouldn't It Be Good" as that's the only one I can remember at the moment that I really, really liked.  :)

Written By: nally on 06/14/06 at 3:40 pm

I chose "Wouldn't It Be Good" as that's the only one I can remember at the moment that I really, really liked.  :)

That's the only song of his I know, too. And I really like it. :) O0

Amazingly enough, I didn't hear it for the first time until about 1999 or so. :o

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/06 at 3:40 pm

I chose 'Wide boy' but I also love 'I won't let the sun go down on me' (Why does the title make me laugh?), 'The Riddle' and 'Wouldn't it be good'.

Written By: Paul on 06/14/06 at 4:06 pm

'Human Racing' (in which 'Snood Man' sounds frighteningly similar to Stevie Wonder...I keep expecting a harmonica solo at any moment!)

Written By: Chasey on 06/15/06 at 6:34 am

Wouldn't It Be Good for me...the extended version of course  ;)

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 9:29 am

I haven't heard of this person.

If you like pop synth of the early 80s, you'll like Nik Kershaw - there were major comparisons between him and Howard Jones at the time despite being two totally different acts.

You're going to tell me you haven't heard of Howard Jones as well, aren't you?  ;) ;D

Written By: Nostalgic on 06/15/06 at 11:11 am

I've only heard three of those songs. I picked Wouldn't It Be Good? but I also like The Riddle.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/06 at 11:16 am

I haven't heard of this person.

He only had 1 hit in America with the almost Top 40 Wouldn't it Be Good

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 7:55 am

1984 - I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me

Written By: whistledog on 01/25/07 at 8:44 pm

I updated the poll, and amended the first post with a chart discography for the UK and North America :)

Written By: Gidgxx on 01/25/07 at 10:22 pm

The only song I remember Nik Kershaw singing was Wouldn't it be good.

Written By: Wurzlsepp on 01/26/07 at 5:37 pm

I join to the majority.
My favourite is "Wouldn't it be good" too
but I miss another good in the poll: "Dark glasses"

Written By: Snoopygirl on 01/30/07 at 1:42 pm

Wouldn't It Be Good

I thought that video was pretty decent for the year that it came out. Does anyone know what the reason was for the outfit that he was wearing with the images on it?

Written By: mr crowly on 01/30/07 at 1:50 pm

the riddle a great song    whouldnt  it be good  was great too  but  its his  known  the rest of the songs  are amazing but  the riddle stands above  the rest in my veiw

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 01/31/07 at 9:58 am

Interesting you ask this I just bought his greatest hits album last week (although it was actually intended for my mom but I listen to it as well lol).

Have to say "I wont let the sun go down on me" is my favourite.  "The Riddle" and "Wouldn't be Good" are just as good.  I also like Don Quixote as well.

Subject: Re: Nik Kershaw - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/09 at 8:25 pm

It's a shame Nik didn't quite catch on over here.  I found my cassette copies of 'Human RAcing', 'The Riddle' and 'Radio Musicola' the other day and was listening to them.  I forgot how much I loved 'Nobody Knows'

Written By: nally on 06/01/09 at 10:34 pm

It's a shame Nik didn't quite catch on over here.  I found my cassette copies of 'Human Racing', 'The Riddle' and 'Radio Musicola' the other day and was listening to them.  I forgot how much I loved 'Nobody Knows'

Seems like he didn't do so well over here (US) either, lol. :-\\ Still, "Wouldn't It Be Good" is the only song of his that I know, and apparently the only one that even touched the US charts.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/09 at 9:12 am

Seems like he didn't do so well over here (US) either, lol. :-\\ Still, "Wouldn't It Be Good" is the only song of his that I know, and apparently the only one that even touched the US charts.

And the odd thing is that in the States, I've seen alot of people reference it as from 'Pretty in Pink.

The one heard in that movie (and on the soundtrack) is a cover version by ex-Three Dog Night singer Danny Hutton and his band the Danny Hutton Hitters.

Written By: mooster on 08/05/09 at 8:16 pm

Wouldn't it Be Good - the only one of his I know

Written By: midnite on 08/06/09 at 5:55 pm

Nobody Knows is now my favorite.

The Riddle and Wouldn't It Be Good used to be my favorite

Written By: Bobby on 08/15/09 at 9:34 am

It's a shame Nik didn't quite catch on over here.  I found my cassette copies of 'Human RAcing', 'The Riddle' and 'Radio Musicola' the other day and was listening to them.  I forgot how much I loved 'Nobody Knows'

It's quite surprising too. Kershaw was as mainstream as Duran Duran, Wham!, Human League and Thompson Twins who successfully invaded the US in the early 80s.

Written By: michel_bel on 08/15/09 at 4:10 pm

I really liked Wouldn't It Be Good. The end of the video with the satellite dish is so nice.

Check for new replies or respond here...