inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1986 in Review

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 1:25 pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pretty in Pink
"Wild Wild Life"
Mr. Mister
Swatch Watch
ALF
Miami Vice
The Bangles
Bon Jovi
Challenger explosion

Subject: Re: 1986 in Review

Written By: wndysbg on 06/15/06 at 2:35 pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pretty in Pink
"Wild Wild Life"
Mr. Mister
Swatch Watch
ALF
Miami Vice
The Bangles
Bon Jovi
Challenger explosion

Challenger Explosion -  Devasting -  I remember that well    :\'(

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/15/06 at 7:26 pm

I just remember listening to Genesis alot, preschool days and going to the waterslides.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/15/06 at 8:16 pm

I just remember listening to Genesis alot, preschool days and going to the waterslides.

Which waterslides?  By any chance you didn't go to the Manteca Waterslides did you? 

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:59 am

My parents met.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/16/06 at 12:47 pm

Which waterslides?  By any chance you didn't go to the Manteca Waterslides did you? 

I think it was actually Raging Waters in San Jose :0) My innertube got stuck in one of the slides and my Dad came sliding down after me and we collided and then before I knew it I was up in the air and fell back in the pool. Man, that was scary! That's why I remember that day so well.  ;D

Written By: rich1981 on 06/16/06 at 10:08 pm

^ For some reason, this reminds me of the slip and slide (a water slide toy) and their commercials back in the 80's.

Written By: robby76 on 06/17/06 at 7:09 am

Cosby Show knitted sweaters and grey shoes.

Written By: gmann on 06/17/06 at 11:29 pm

Re: the Genesis thing; man, you couldn't escape Genesis or Phil Collins on the radio/tv in those days. No wonder some folks still hate 'em. As for me, I've learned to like them, though I prefer their stuff from the 70s. Am I allowed to say that in the 80's forum?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/06 at 12:42 am

This year saw the marriage between Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Sarah Margaret Ferguson.

Written By: rare80s on 06/18/06 at 3:10 am

1986 for me...

...playing with my Hot Wheels red Ferrari Testarossa for many, many hours.
...listening to my dad talk about interesting subjects that one day I would discover on my own.
...listening to the car radio while my dad would drive me around and '80s radio, in general.
...and many other great '86 memories..

(80sfiles.blogspot.com)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 5:46 am

Chernobyl
The Challenger Disaster...

I came into the World... ;D

Written By: Nostalgic on 06/18/06 at 5:55 am

In my part of the world in 1986, the Philippine revolution was big news. President Marcos was overthrown and he fled the country. Corazon Aquino was sworn in as president.

As for me, it was my first year in high school.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 1:29 pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pretty in Pink
"Wild Wild Life"
Mr. Mister
Swatch Watch
ALF
Miami Vice
The Bangles
Bon Jovi
Challenger explosion

I remember all these things too well.
Don't forget:
Chernobyl--"A Nuclear Nightmare," as emblazoned on Time magazine.
Iran-Contra.
The return of Halley's Comet, which nobody in the Northern Hemisphere got to see.
Russia launches the MIR.
Postal worker Patrick Sherrill goes postal in Edmond, OK, killing 14 co-workers.
Hands Across America.
Reagan walks away from Gorbachev at Reykjavik.
The Red Sox hand the World Series to the Mets under the auspices of Bill Buckner.
Depeche Mode and The Smiths release their best albums, "Black Celebration," and "The Queen is Dead" respictively.
And most important of all...

The birth of Mary Kate and Ashley!
:-\\

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/18/06 at 5:05 pm

Re: the Genesis thing; man, you couldn't escape Genesis or Phil Collins on the radio/tv in those days. No wonder some folks still hate 'em. As for me, I've learned to like them, though I prefer their stuff from the 70s. Am I allowed to say that in the 80's forum?  ;D

Exactly, I mean - it was so hard to escape it. We listened to them proabbly most of that year and I think I literally killed off "Invisible Touch" by listening to it so much. For being such a young kid, I tended to like the mostly instrumental song, "The Brazilian" on that tape the most.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/06 at 3:17 pm

For me, I had a career change to one with a better paid job.

Written By: Dukefan on 06/19/06 at 6:23 pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Pretty in Pink
"Wild Wild Life"
Mr. Mister
Swatch Watch
ALF
Miami Vice
The Bangles
Bon Jovi
Challenger explosion

Don't forget these popular movies-

Top Gun
Crocodile Dundee
Aliens
Platoon

Other major events pointed out by Maxwell Smart-

Hands Across America
Chernobyl nuclear disaster
Haley's Comet

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 7:50 am

Exactly, I mean - it was so hard to escape it. We listened to them proabbly most of that year and I think I literally killed off "Invisible Touch" by listening to it so much. For being such a young kid, I tended to like the mostly instrumental song, "The Brazilian" on that tape the most.

Yep, I loved it back then too. My parents and I have had that album since I was a kid too, but oddly, I'm sort of the opposite of you, in that I usually stopped listening after "Throwing it All Away" - maybe I just never had the patience for instrumentals/prog pieces. :D

I even to this day, prefer the hit single/video mix of "Tonight Tonight Tonight", which cuts out alot of the choruses and that instrumental part in the middle.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 7:52 am

Oh, 1986 was a pretty changeful pop culture year. The first half or so was like '85, but by the Fall, it was sort of a "1988ish 80s" prequel, just with the "Walk This Way" remake and such. Actually, rap in general crossing over, was another big thing for '86.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 4:50 pm

Yep, I loved it back then too. My parents and I have had that album since I was a kid too, but oddly, I'm sort of the opposite of you, in that I usually stopped listening after "Throwing it All Away" - maybe I just never had the patience for instrumentals/prog pieces. :D

I even to this day, prefer the hit single/video mix of "Tonight Tonight Tonight", which cuts out alot of the choruses and that instrumental part in the middle.

I enjoyed the whole tape, I believe. But that instrumental stuck out for some reason. I think it was one of the first instrumental pieces I recall really liking. Maybe you can listen to it sometime.. if you are a Napster member, you can listen to it without having to pay for the song :0)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/20/06 at 5:42 pm

Oh, 1986 was a pretty changeful pop culture year. The first half or so was like '85, but by the Fall, it was sort of a "1988ish 80s" prequel, just with the "Walk This Way" remake and such. Actually, rap in general crossing over, was another big thing for '86.

Yeah, 1986 was one of those years that could be both part of the mid and late parts of a decade. There were definitely some very, very mid-'80s things about 1986 (Miami Vice, the John Hughes movies, Swatches), but also some things like "Walk this Way", rap and alt rock starting to cross over, and the beginnings of hair metal and stuff like Bananarama that is more late '80s.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/20/06 at 7:03 pm

http://www.newsday.com/other/special/ny-iholo0421story,0,1094681.htmlstory

One of the greatest pop singers/songwriters of all time was signed to a record label in 1986  8) :D

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 06/20/06 at 7:06 pm

http://www.newsday.com/other/special/ny-iholi0421story,0,1094681.htmlstory

My bad  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/21/06 at 1:37 am

http://www.newsday.com/other/special/ny-iholo0421story,0,1094681.htmlstory

One of the greatest pop singers/songwriters of all time was signed to a record label in 1986  8) :D
Sorry, the page you requested could not be found.

Written By: ralfy on 06/24/16 at 7:14 am

"'Pretty in Pink' turns 30: Here are 17 surprising facts about the '80s classic"

http://www.today.com/popculture/pretty-pink-turns-30-here-are-17-surprising-facts-about-t76081

Written By: Starlighter on 06/24/16 at 5:23 pm

"'Pretty in Pink' turns 30: Here are 17 surprising facts about the '80s classic"

http://www.today.com/popculture/pretty-pink-turns-30-here-are-17-surprising-facts-about-t76081

Neat facts.  The movie would not have been the same had Jennifer Beals been cast as Andie, Charlie Sheen as Blane, or Robert Downy, Jr. as Duckie.  I'm not saying they're bad actors, but I liked the casting in the movie.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/24/16 at 6:27 pm

*sigh* Memories(in detail)

At the beginning of 1986, I was in Kindergarten and graduated at around June. I wore a white dress, white shoes, and white barrettes in my hair to my graduation. We were given our diplomas(which I still have). That Summer was one of the best for me even though I was so small. My most cherished memory came when as a graduation present, my parents bought me a Jem and the Holograms doll at Toys R Us. She was sooo beautiful! The doll came with a cassette and an extra pair of clothing that was striped white with blue lines. My mother wanted me to get one of the Misfits but I didn't want them since they were Jem's enemies. Lol, I paid close attention to that. I wanted Jem/Jerrica because she was as I would say back then, "the leader". I was the happiest little kid in the world! Later on in the year, I started the first grade which was the start of grade school. Our Christmas in 1986 was the best holiday I can remember. My parents...well, actually "Santa Claus" lol, gave to me a View Master and Jem and the Holograms slides. It was amazing! Only thing was without the slides the View Master was kinda scary, for a six year old I mean. There were all these weird parts inside when I looked in it.  ;D  1986 was a great year for music and music tv. We would mostly watch VH1 and MTV.

Written By: Ruru on 07/13/21 at 7:52 pm

In New Zealand in 1986, Footrot Flats: The Dog's Tale was the country's first animated movie.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/19/Footrot_Flats_movie.png

Check for new replies or respond here...