inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Were most people aware of the existence of computers in the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 2:42 pm

Most people didn't have them, but would it be accurate to say that their existence was common knowledge?

Subject: Re: Were most people aware of the existence of computers in the '80s?

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:36 pm

I had my first computer in 1986/87 - they were more common to have than you think, they just weren't excellent PCs with G force graphics cards and a 2 gig processor.

Written By: Gis on 06/15/06 at 4:25 pm

Yeah we had them in school and college, great huge things they were too ! I can remember playing this fantastic game called 'Rhino' on the one at school.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/06 at 4:28 pm

Many people had computers-but I wasn't one of them.  :\'( 

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 5:48 pm

Yeah we had them in school and college, great huge things they were too ! I can remember playing this fantastic game called 'Rhino' on the one at school.

Yeah? I remember the infamous 'Granny's Garden'.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 6:51 pm

Absolutely everyone knew what they were, and most people had them and most businesses had them post-1985 or so. Even in the '70s, people knew what they were. According to my mom, by 1967 or 1968 most educated folk knew what they were to a certain degree...my uncle was an early computer geek who built his own computer back in the '60s.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/15/06 at 8:23 pm

I remember hearing about computers, but I learned to type on an electric typewriter.  My senior year in high school,  1984, I took a word processing class, using a computer, but what a pain.  Technology has come a long WAY!!!  Now I do not see how I made it through college without a computer - but I did.  When I first started teaching in 1989 - all the classrooms came with Apple IIe's  -  I think I still have an old one in my garage.  I am sure some of you will remember playing Oregon Trail - very popular game.  But I sure did a lot of work on those old computers - a lot of work.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 10:41 pm

Of course, what an outrageous suggestion! I'm sure anyone who grew up in the 80s would be offended  ;). I'm sure, with all the sci-fi hullaboola in the 50s and 60s, most people were aware of the existence of Computers BEFORE Computers came into existence.  ;D

Written By: rich1981 on 06/15/06 at 11:40 pm

I remember seeing them back in 1986 when I was in kindergarten so I'd say yes as well.

Written By: karen on 06/16/06 at 5:58 am

I did a computer course at high school in 1982.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/16/06 at 7:47 am

I did a computer course at high school in 1982.

My first computer class was in the 83-84 school year.  We had to learn to program in BASIC on TRS-80 computers.

Almost everyone knew what a computer was and what it did.  At that time you thought of them as expensive, big clunky boxes with a small monochrome monitors that were pretty much a glorified calculator.  Yet, they weren't seamlessly integrated into our lives like they are now.

Written By: karen on 06/16/06 at 8:05 am

My first computer class was in the 83-84 school year.  We had to learn to program in BASIC on TRS-80 computers.

My school has Vic-20's (which I didn't really use) and BBC B's.  We learnt to programme in BASIC on the BBC machines.  There was also one RML machine which only the teacher was allowed to touch.

Prior to that I remember helping my brother type pages of machine code into his Sinclair ZX 81  (or did he have the ZX80?)

Written By: Tia on 06/16/06 at 10:06 am

when i was in the gifted and talented program in the 70s -- yes, i am a genius! -- we used a commodore PET, which was an instructional computer that came out in 1977, thereabout. it was a precursor of the vic20 and all that stuff.

http://www.eldocountry.com/Computer/Pet.jpg

we did a bunch of stuff like do

10 PRINT "TIA"
20 GOTO 10

and then giggle as it printed our name all over the screen. but at first the instructor had to assure us that the computer wouldn't in fact blow our fingers off if we pressed the wrong key. we were afraid to touch them. we'd all seen "Westworld" man!

i was also in the G&T brain science class. we got to touch an actual human brain and then chase each other around the class threatening to give each other brain cooties until our teacher committed suicide.

Written By: karen on 06/16/06 at 10:27 am

In my first job I had to look after some PET computers.  We loaded the programme from a cassette!

Written By: Watcher29 on 06/16/06 at 12:25 pm

I loaded and saved many a program from cassette in the old C-64 days.

I had to laugh the other day when somebody asked me if I was going "retro" when I bought a 3.5" disk drive for my computer because it didn't come with one.

Written By: searching1980s on 06/16/06 at 1:03 pm

Of course, what an outrageous suggestion! I'm sure anyone who grew up in the 80s would be offended  ;). I'm sure, with all the sci-fi hullaboola in the 50s and 60s, most people were aware of the existence of Computers BEFORE Computers came into existence.  ;D

Science fiction movies, television, books and comic books all referenced computers regularly (from as far back as the 1930s for pulp fiction) but surprisingly most writers assumed that the machines would stay huge and be extremely expensive and that there would only be a few on each planet colonized by humans -- yes, that's right, we would be living on a lot of planets before we would have personal micro computers.  I remember slavering over the newly developed personal computer with more than one font in the Asimov book Second Foundation -- which is set over 5,000 years after the collapse of humanity's Gallactic Empire!
I bought a Mac Plus in 85 with an external 40 meg hard drive that alone cost $1900 and was reputed to be enough memory to run 3 full time businesses.  I didn't cross over to the dark side (PCs) for another 10 years, as I just couldn't see giving up my GUI.
P.S.  It wasn't just science fiction -- there's a 1957 Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn movie 'Desk Set' about a television company trying to replace its reference librarians with an 'electronic brain' called EMERAC.

Written By: Tia on 06/16/06 at 1:07 pm

^that's true. i think computers seemed so clunky back then and they were really hard to use, so it was hard to imagine that everyone would be able to download pictures of hooters girls and argue about immigrants 30 years hence.

desk set is AMAZING. i love that movie.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/16/06 at 1:23 pm

^that's true. i think computers seemed so clunky back then and they were really hard to use, so it was hard to imagine that everyone would be able to download pictures of hooters girls and argue about immigrants 30 years hence.

desk set is AMAZING. i love that movie.

You know, the first image that came to mind when I was reading this thread was the image of Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn arguing it out over that HUGE dinosaur of a computer that was going to replace the jobs of many in the movie "Desk Set." One of my favorite movies, mainly because it's a great way of showing the power of the human mind over a big machine.

I was young at the time, but I was quite aware of computers. At my first elementary school, we didn't have full access to computer courses as they were very expensive for our school to keep, so some selected few students were able to use the computers for a limited amount of time. When I changed schools, for my 5th grade year, my new school had a room FULL of Apple computers that looked like this:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/dbalink/Life%20in%20the%20Eighties/pics/firstmac.gif

We got to have computer class I think once every week and I sure enjoyed that. We played Oregon Trail many many times. We also had to do things on Claris Works.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/16/06 at 11:13 pm

Well, most of us were aware of computers, but the only ones most of us had much knowledge of were the kind where you typed programs like:

10 PRINT " IS A DUMMY!!!!!"
20 GOTO 10

"CapsLock"? - HA! Heck, we were wondering how you could make small letters!

In 1983, I started noticing this computer that wouldn't do anything I tried to type for it to do. From this experience, I sortof deduced that maybe the IBM PC wasn't designed to do BASIC computing. Naive lil'ol' me, I guess.  ;D
But BASIC wasn't dead quite yet. I got a Commodore 64 for my birthday in 1985, and was able to record a few little programs on tape. I wanted so much to have that thing called a modem where you laid the phone in those 2 holes. But those prices for the services - something like $1.95 for the 1st minute and something like 75

Written By: Tia on 06/16/06 at 11:15 pm

dayum, that takes me back. how DID You do small letters with a PET?

Written By: nally on 06/17/06 at 2:17 am

In the 80's, the only computers I used were Apple II-e's, during my 3rd grade year (1988-89). I didn't know a thing about operating systems at the time, and the only things we usually ran on those computers were spelling games or math games (which were software programs stored on traditional "floppy" floppy disks).

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/17/06 at 7:22 am

Oh, yeah -
There was a difference between "floppy disks" and "diskettes"!
The larger "floppy" disks were floppy disks, and when the smaller hard-shell disks came out, they were called diskettes!

Written By: Tia on 06/17/06 at 8:01 am

Oh, yeah -
The larger "floppy" disks were floppy disks, and when the smaller hard-shell disks came out, they were called diskettes!
us old foagies still call the 3.5" disks "floppy disks", which must really befuddle the youngsters, since they're hard as rocks. sorta like "rolling down" the car window.

don't forget the 8" floppies!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 9:21 am

You know, the first image that came to mind when I was reading this thread was the image of Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn arguing it out over that HUGE dinosaur of a computer that was going to replace the jobs of many in the movie "Desk Set." One of my favorite movies, mainly because it's a great way of showing the power of the human mind over a big machine.

I was young at the time, but I was quite aware of computers. At my first elementary school, we didn't have full access to computer courses as they were very expensive for our school to keep, so some selected few students were able to use the computers for a limited amount of time. When I changed schools, for my 5th grade year, my new school had a room FULL of Apple computers that looked like this:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/dbalink/Life%20in%20the%20Eighties/pics/firstmac.gif

We got to have computer class I think once every week and I sure enjoyed that. We played Oregon Trail many many times. We also had to do things on Claris Works.

The first computers at our school weren't quite that old. I think they were IBM's with 386 or 486 processors in them (with a speed of about 40MHz, lol). That was in about 1992-93. We got first-gen Apple Macs about 1995 or so, and got connected to the internet in 1997. I remember how big 'Net Day' was  at our school when we officially got connected to the World Wide Web.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/06 at 9:25 am

When a friend of mine worked for IBM back in the late 70s and the 80s, my attention to computers was advanced than others.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/06 at 3:53 pm

20 GOTO 10

Yeah, we used to do that with our school's Trash 80s. BASIC, ha! That's just about all you could do...unless you were a tooootal geek.
I used to do math problems (I was in retard math) and play some Dr. Strangelove bomb the Russkies video game with no graphics. I mean NONE. It was a question of how much fuel you had versus how much payload you were carrying and whether on not you could evade the Russkie radar, stuff like that. "Approaching Leningrad...Leningrad destroyed..." Remember Leningrad? Remember when you only said St. Petersburg if you were talking about the one across the bay from Tampa?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pcangry.gif

My dad didn't buy our first Apple (I think it was an Apple iie) until spring of '84, I seem to remember.

I agree with a previous poster, the "computer" concept was in the lingua franca by the late 1960s.  They were associated more with NASA, IBM, and big government functions than anything else. By the early '70s a few enthusiasts were buying and building "home computers." There wasn't much you could do with them. I suppose you could write a program to do your taxes, but by the time you got the program up and running, you could have had your taxes finished using a pencil and paper!

The real revolution in the '70s was not the "computer" but the "microchip." The "chip" entered the pop culture lexicon in the late '70s. Before that, it was mainly engineers who knew about them.

However, I didn't use a "mouse" until 1989, and I did not see my first color monitor until about 1991. That's also when I started hearing about this "World Wide Web"

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/06 at 3:56 pm

Well, most of us were aware of computers, but the only ones most of us had much knowledge of were the kind where you typed programs like:

20 GOTO 10

In 1983, I started noticing this computer that wouldn't do anything I tried to type for it to do. From this experience, I sortof deduced that maybe the IBM PC wasn't designed to do BASIC computing. Naive lil'ol' me, I guess.  ;D
But BASIC wasn't dead quite yet. I got a Commodore 64 for my birthday in 1985, and was able to record a few little programs on tape. I wanted so much to have that thing called a modem where you laid the phone in those 2 holes. But those prices for the services - something like $1.95 for the 1st minute and something like 75

Written By: nally on 06/17/06 at 5:02 pm

Oh, yeah -

Oh my goodness, you're right, Sammy! I forgot entirely about the term "diskette"! That's what most of us think of as "floppies" now!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/17/06 at 5:04 pm

Oh my goodness, you're right, Sammy! I forgot entirely about the term "diskette"! That's what most of us think of as "floppies" now!

That's very true.. as I remember the actual "floppy" discs.. we had a system that we used those sorts of discs to play very rudementry games on my mom's TV. I always got confused at why they ended up calling diskettes floppy discs, when they're hardly floppy  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/17/06 at 5:08 pm

Yeah diskettes are the 3.5 inch hard shell disks, and floppies are the 5 1/4 inch disks that are actually floppy, lol.

Written By: nally on 06/17/06 at 5:18 pm

Yeah diskettes are the 3.5 inch hard shell disks, and floppies are the 5 1/4 inch disks that are actually floppy, lol.

Yep, the big ones are made of actual floppy material! :D

Written By: Sammy Reed on 06/17/06 at 8:37 pm

Nowadays, we have come to use the words "floppy" and "diskette" to mean the same thing.

"Gosh, Jed, those floppy diskettes back then were larger than floppy diskettes are now."  :)

Written By: nally on 06/18/06 at 4:54 pm

So how do we refer to those 5.25" floppys now?

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/18/06 at 5:42 pm

Compared to 3.5" floppies, I refer to them as "Average."

Hey, I got nothin' to hide. 

8" floppy.

/one ticket to hell, please.

Written By: karen on 06/19/06 at 7:13 am

obsolete?  :-\\

8" floppy.

I used to operate a scanning tunneling microscope where you could store the images to 8" floppies.  I never used it, I purchased a thermal printer instead.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/19/06 at 4:21 pm

I remember hearing about computers, but I learned to type on an electric typewriter.  My senior year in high school,  1984, I took a word processing class, using a computer, but what a pain.  Technology has come a long WAY!!!   Now I do not see how I made it through college without a computer - but I did.  When I first started teaching in 1989 - all the classrooms came with Apple IIe's  -  I think I still have an old one in my garage.  I am sure some of you will remember playing Oregon Trail - very popular game.  But I sure did a lot of work on those old computers - a lot of work.

I learned to type on an electric typewriter as well - and that was already in the early '90s. :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/19/06 at 5:07 pm

I learned to type on one as well. My mom and I bought the last one they had on sale at Emporium Capwells in their small electronics department. We were so excited it had an eraser ribbon with it, too, because God knows making a mistake on a typewriter was like wanting to stab yourself in the heart!  ;D

Written By: wndysbg on 06/19/06 at 5:48 pm

I learned to type on one as well. My mom and I bought the last one they had on sale at Emporium Capwells in their small electronics department. We were so excited it had an eraser ribbon with it, too, because God knows making a mistake on a typewriter was like wanting to stab yourself in the heart!  ;D

Oh - wasn't that the truth.  Trying to line the paper back up after "whiting out" a mistake.    You did NOT want to have to type the entire thing over.

Written By: searching1980s on 06/20/06 at 9:15 am

Remember how exciting it was when microperf came out?  Remember those wide printers with continuous roll paper that actually beat the paper like a typewriter?

Written By: Tam on 06/20/06 at 4:24 pm

Our first computer was a Texas Instruments 99 - lovingly called the TI99
In high school they brought in Icon's and Commodore 64's
Oh how I loved freezing up the Icon's simply by rolling the track ball too fast and too much!!! ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 4:48 pm

Oh - wasn't that the truth.  Trying to line the paper back up after "whiting out" a mistake.    You did NOT want to have to type the entire thing over.

Ohh, yes, the agony.. I mean, we still had a typewriter in 1996 and we hadn't bought a computer yet, so I was determined to take the long road of writing our family history. I look at it now, and the errors I made are just hilarious..  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...