inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Households Owning A Video Game Console in 1985

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 10:42 pm

Are there any stats? I would still think owning the early consoles like Atari, Namco.etc would have been pretty niche in 1981. What about 1985? I know in 1995, at least 50% of all households with children had at least one console. What would this figure have been in 1985? About 25%? I'm guessing it's in the 20-25% range, but does anyone have any hard stats?

Subject: Re: Households Owning A Video Game Console in 1985

Written By: agoraphobicwhacko on 06/16/06 at 6:09 am

I dont know the exact stats, but I guarantee it was more than 25%. Every house I ever went to had an atari. I am still surprised how atari lost the console war so easily when they were in everyone's home. What were they thinking? ::)

Subject: Re: Households Owning A Video Game Console in 1985

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 7:21 am

I dont know the exact stats, but I guarantee it was more than 25%. Every house I ever went to had an atari. I am still surprised how atari lost the console war so easily when they were in everyone's home. What were they thinking? ::)

Yeah, Atari made some disastrous decisions (which I won't go into) which eventually led to their downfall. Throughout the 90s, they mainly subsisted distributing, and producing games for the giants at the time. It's unfortunate we'll never see a bonafide Atari revival.

Check for new replies or respond here...