inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is the Rubix Cube so Eighties?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/16/06 at 8:00 pm

Is it the neon and pastel? The nerdiness? The "split-screen" like look of it? The bulkiness and uselessness?

Subject: Re: Why is the Rubix Cube so Eighties?

Written By: Tia on 06/16/06 at 9:54 pm

i think it's tied in with the development of computers in a way i can't quite describe. it's like the perfect merging of the board game with the abstract matrix of the computer. but once computers themselves got more accessible you really didn't need the rubiks cube anymore.

on a less cutesy level, it was a huge fad but it became almost immediately clear if you had a gift for it or not. i could only get two sides. there was this calculus head in my school who could solve it in like two minutes maybe a month after it came out. and that's the way it went, you either nailed it right away because that's the way you thought, or you tinkered with it for a while and then went, bah, screw this damn thing.

great question though. if you werern't around you coldn't know how HUGE the cube was. it made the hula hoop look lame.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/06 at 7:52 am

Why is the Rubix Cube so Eighties?

Because it was then it was invented, developed, marketed and sold in the shops.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/25/06 at 7:25 pm

Good question.

Check for new replies or respond here...