inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Overrated '80s Songs by Good '80s Bands

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 10:37 pm

"Pretty Girls Make Graves"-The other day, they were playing this over the announcements at school...and I really think this is one of the Smiths' worst songs. It has no melody or catchiness like the rest of the Smiths, it's depressing without wit, and it consists of Morrissey screaming in a high-pitched voice. I like the Smiths overall, but their debut album brings out all of their worst tendencies.
"Pharoahs"-I just don't get this Tears for Fears song.
"Cars"-It's definitely not Gary Numan's best. I like "Music for Chameleons" and "Are Friends Electric?" much, much better.

Subject: Re: Overrated '80s Songs by Good '80s Bands

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 3:29 pm

bump.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/06 at 4:34 pm

They were playing "Pretty Girls Make Graves" over the announcements at your school?
How times change!
;D

I remember scrawling that phrase across the ballot for the "homecoming queen" election at my school!

I disagree with you about the song being overrated, but it's strictly opinion here.
The Smiths song I call utterly overrated is "Meat Is Murder." The music is good, but it's a whiny vegetarian screed, and the refraind makes absolutely no sense.
"A death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder."

A. We kill animals for food and other goods. Perhaps this is a bad reason in vegan eyes, but it's certainly not no reason!
B. Murder. Again, sorry vegans, but we "kill" animals. "Murder" is only applicable to humans. Furthermore, I cannot think of an death for "no reason." A medical examiner might state "Cause of death: unknown" on a death certificate. However, there is always a cause of death. Also, there is always a reason for "murder." In the legal sense, "murder" is never justifiable. There is a such a thing as "justifiable homicide," but not "murder. The reason for murder may be as insipid as "I killed a man in Reno just to watch him die," but it is still a reason!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Written By: Criz on 06/17/06 at 4:42 pm

See, I like 'Pretty GIrls Make Graves'. I think 'Heaven KNows I'm Miserable Now' is the most over-rated Smith's song-I adore the Smiths, but really can't listen to that one anymore!

'True' by Spandau Ballet - they had some great songs with 'Musclebound', 'Chant no1' and 'To Cut a long story short' and then they went are released that chart storming pile of rubbish!

I'm sure there are loads more but for now, 'True' is the one springing to mind.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 5:45 pm

They were playing "Pretty Girls Make Graves" over the announcements at your school?
How times change!
;D

I remember scrawling that phrase across the ballot for the "homecoming queen" election at my school!

I disagree with you about the song being overrated, but it's strictly opinion here.
The Smiths song I call utterly overrated is "Meat Is Murder." The music is good, but it's a whiny vegetarian screed, and the refraind makes absolutely no sense.
"A death for no reason, and death for no reason is murder."

A. We kill animals for food and other goods. Perhaps this is a bad reason in vegan eyes, but it's certainly not no reason!
B. Murder. Again, sorry vegans, but we "kill" animals. "Murder" is only applicable to humans. Furthermore, I cannot think of an death for "no reason." A medical examiner might state "Cause of death: unknown" on a death certificate. However, there is always a cause of death. Also, there is always a reason for "murder." In the legal sense, "murder" is never justifiable. There is a such a thing as "justifiable homicide," but not "murder. The reason for murder may be as insipid as "I killed a man in Reno just to watch him die," but it is still a reason!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Yeah, "Meat is Murder" is another overrated Smiths song. I think "Rusholme Ruffians" and "Suffer Little Children" are among their more underrated songs, along with alot of stuff off Louder than Bombs, like "Golden Lights" (the music is really good) and the last track.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/17/06 at 6:52 pm

First- "Are Friends Electric" technically was NOT Gary Numan, but the Tubeway Army, of which Gary was once a member. Still, better than some of his stuff.
I, however, found the "Cars" remake by Numan/Fear Factory much more satisfying. I also like "Down In the Park".

Second- overrated songs by good bands? The Tubes are an EXCELLENT band, and still kick @$$! But, I admit, there's one song of theirs I find a tad overrated: "Talk To Ya Later". I like it as a breakup song, but it just doesn't quite have the razor edge that most of their stuff had, or has.

I also feel ANYTHING by Whitney Houston is way overrated.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 5:49 am

Alot of stuff by Blondie like 'The Tide Is High', 'Atomic' is also a bit overrated.

Written By: Davester on 06/19/06 at 6:02 am

Overrated '80s Songs by Good '80s Bands:

Two off the top:

1. Sister Christian - Night Ranger...wait a minute, they weren't even a good band...
                            2. We Built This City - Starship...Remember hearing this turd on the radio constantly...

Written By: searching1980s on 06/19/06 at 11:01 am

Love Shack by the B52s.  I like almost everything else they did better, especially Throw That Beat in the Garbage Can (high marks for danceable weirdness), Private Idaho and Mesopotamia.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/19/06 at 11:34 am

Love Shack by the B52s.  I like almost everything else they did better, especially Throw That Beat in the Garbage Can (high marks for danceable weirdness), Private Idaho and Mesopotamia.

I hear that! I particularly like 'Private Idaho', 'June Bug', and 'Rock Lobster'.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:38 pm

Alot of stuff by Blondie like 'The Tide Is High', 'Atomic' is also a bit overrated.

Yeah, Blondie is overrated.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:42 pm

Yeah, Blondie is overrated.

Yeah, they were pure Bubblegum when they pretended to be something else...

Written By: searching1980s on 06/19/06 at 2:35 pm

Yeah, they were pure Bubblegum when they pretended to be something else...

Could they have been pretending to be The Pretenders?  Chrissie Hind -- there was a woman shaping and leading a band, writing intriguing lyrics and providing enticing vocals on a wide range of issues and emotions. 

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/19/06 at 5:35 pm

Chrissy Hynde underwent some pure metamorphoses because she has gone through so much.
She is one female vocalist I bow to.

(But I STILL feel Whitney Houston is overrated. I hear her comeback song is about her recent life- it's to be called "Crack Ho".)

Written By: searching1980s on 06/20/06 at 9:17 am

Do we lose karma points for mispelling artists' names?  Hope not.  I get in a hurry.

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/20/06 at 11:44 am

Do we lose karma points for mispelling artists' names?  Hope not.  I get in a hurry.

No, I don't believe so.
No negative karma, as far as I understand.

Check for new replies or respond here...