inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dance Music Through the '80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:06 pm

1980-1982: Dance music despised widely due to the disco backlash.
1983-1986: Dance music is revived through dance-pop like Duran Duran, ABC, Madonna, and Prince, the revival being started by MJ and Madonna.
1986-1990: More evolved/overproduced dance-pop like Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Jody Watley; beginnings of the rise of house music; popularity of Depeche Mode and New Order.

Subject: Re: Dance Music Through the '80s

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 11:19 pm

80s dance music seems to be less upbeat, and slightly more - forced - than the carefree sound of 90s dance music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 3:29 pm

80s dance music seems to be less upbeat, and slightly more - forced - than the carefree sound of 90s dance music.

It was more "produced."

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/16/10 at 8:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmcuFD79d6k&feature=channel

It really changes in just 10 minutes, but in general from this set:

1980- Still mainly disco, with a touch of new wave here.
1981- R&B/funk based, with some leftover disco influence.
1982- Mainly new wave-style, but a tiny bit of disco influence still apparent.
1983-1985: The peak of the '80s, hi-energy styled-dance pop. Every song during this stretch screams '80s.
1986: Like 1983-85, but sounds a bit more "polished and modern".
1987: Last year that truly reprsents the "high-energy, Madonna type style. Rap starting to emerge. Percussive beats becoming more important.
1988: Becoming more "urban" in feel with style; remaining peak '80s stuff now overproduced and faster.
1989: Transitioning to an early '90s style, house music emerging.

But each year definately has a song that definitively scream '80s however (Whip it for 1980, and Love Shack for 1989).

Written By: Midas on 02/17/10 at 9:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmcuFD79d6k&feature=channel

It really changes in just 10 minutes, but in general from this set:

1980- Still mainly disco, with a touch of new wave here.
1981- R&B/funk based, with some leftover disco influence.
1982- Mainly new wave-style, but a tiny bit of disco influence still apparent.
1983-1985: The peak of the '80s, hi-energy styled-dance pop. Every song during this stretch screams '80s.
1986: Like 1983-85, but sounds a bit more "polished and modern".
1987: Last year that truly reprsents the "high-energy, Madonna type style. Rap starting to emerge. Percussive beats becoming more important.
1988: Becoming more "urban" in feel with style; remaining peak '80s stuff now overproduced and faster.
1989: Transitioning to an early '90s style, house music emerging.

But each year definately has a song that definitively scream '80s however (Whip it for 1980, and Love Shack for 1989).

I like how they use "Blue Monday 1988" for 1983 and the 1987 version of Exposé's "Point Of No Return" in 1985  ::)  :D

That montage was a portrayal of mainstream dance.  There wasn't much touched upon in the way of Italo-Disco (i.e. Fun Fun, Laserdance), Industrial/New Beat (Front 242, Micro Chip League) or House music (Steve "Silk" Hurley, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Adonis).

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/10 at 2:37 pm

I like how they use "Blue Monday 1988" for 1983 and the 1987 version of Exposé's "Point Of No Return" in 1985  ::)  :D

That montage was a portrayal of mainstream dance.  There wasn't much touched upon in the way of Italo-Disco (i.e. Fun Fun, Laserdance), Industrial/New Beat (Front 242, Micro Chip League) or House music (Steve "Silk" Hurley, Farley Jackmaster Funk, Adonis).

When don't they use Blue Monday '88 as the 1983 version.  That's almost everywhere.
I've often also seen the version of 'Confusion' used from the movie 'Blade' when referencing the original 1983 version

Written By: Midas on 02/17/10 at 4:10 pm

When don't they use Blue Monday '88 as the 1983 version.  That's almost everywhere.
I've often also seen the version of 'Confusion' used from the movie 'Blade' when referencing the original 1983 version

I couldn't even tell you the original version of "Confusion".  I'm confused!  :D  My wild guess is the Arthur Baker version that I've seen on Streetwise Records or some other one (isn't there a different version on Substance?)

Written By: Paul on 02/17/10 at 5:14 pm

I couldn't even tell you the original version of "Confusion".  I'm confused!  :D  My wild guess is the Arthur Baker version that I've seen on Streetwise Records or some other one (isn't there a different version on Substance?)

It is indeed a different version on 'Substance'...it was re-recorded!

You can have hours of fun wading through the myriad of worldwide releases of 'Confusion' here, but I think they all boil down to the Arthur Baker version being the definitive original...

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/18/10 at 11:36 pm

I like the music of the time and would shake my booty to anything from 1981-1989,  :)

Written By: Bobby on 02/21/10 at 5:44 pm

I like the music of the time and would shake my booty to anything from 1981-1989,  :)

Same here.

There was a minor craze going on around 1987 that links hi-energy stuff to house called Jack. It didn't last very long but it provided us with some interesting stuff.

Written By: Midas on 02/21/10 at 10:46 pm

Same here.

There was a minor craze going on around 1987 that links hi-energy stuff to house called Jack. It didn't last very long but it provided us with some interesting stuff.

I like some of that Jack stuff.

"In the beginning there was Jack..."

Written By: Bobby on 02/22/10 at 5:26 am

I like some of that Jack stuff.

"In the beginning there was Jack..."

Yes, I liked it too. 'Jack your body' by Steve 'Silk' Hurley and 'The Jack That House Built' by Jack 'n' Chill spring to mind.

Written By: Midas on 02/22/10 at 11:10 am

Yes, I liked it too. 'Jack your body' by Steve 'Silk' Hurley and 'The Jack That House Built' by Jack 'n' Chill spring to mind.

I also like "Jack Me Around" by Farm Boy and "Jack Me 'Til I Scream" by Julian "Jumpin'" Perez :)

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 4:00 pm

The late 1980's also saw the emerge of New Beat, a slightly slowed down version of house music. Songs were recorded at 45 RPM, but played at 41 RPM. It was only popular for a short period of time (1988/1989).

Examples:

The Sound Of C - Confetti's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di-z4XSnus8

Hmm Hmm - Taste Of Sugar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sCkVe31fwo

Rock To The Beat - Reese & Santonio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5IcoPpF1UA

Move Your Ass And Feel The Beat (Live) - Erotic Dissidents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41WOWPftVHs

Written By: Midas on 02/22/10 at 4:30 pm

That Reese & Santonio track was also covered by 101. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YdtxmzUwqQ

Written By: Henk on 02/22/10 at 4:34 pm

That Reese & Santonio track was also covered by 101. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YdtxmzUwqQ

I know, but I like to stick with the original. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 02/25/10 at 6:38 pm

I also like "Jack Me Around" by Farm Boy and "Jack Me 'Til I Scream" by Julian "Jumpin'" Perez :)

Ooh not heard of them. I will have to look them up. Thanks Midas.

Check for new replies or respond here...