inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thoughts on FTRH and 16C

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/20/06 at 5:52 pm

Thoughts on FTRH-
-It's certainly an interesting movie that I think is one of the biggest definers of the early '80s. In some ways, it's '70s, such as the marijuana usage (though the way Spicoli is used for humor but not totally disparaged says something about the status of pot in the '80s, in terms of public opinion), and the obsession with sex as opposed to romance. It strikes me as an '80s movie, with the focus on suburbanized teen culture and malls, with modified '70s attitudes to it. Risky Business is similar.
-There's "Disco Sucks" scrawled at "the point", LOL.
-Also, I think it's an interesting monument in terms of teen attitudes about sex. Jennifer Jason Leigh is encouraged by Phoebe Cates through the movie to lose her virginity, etc., and talks about having sex when she was 13, and the obsessiveness over sex seems like a very '70s teen way of thinking. The John Hughes movies, which focused more on romance, were a big change...I guess by then, people had just gotten used to teens openly having sex.

16C-
-Watching this movie, it's shocking how reminiscent being a teen in the mid-'00s can be to being a teen in the mid-'80s. The sense of teen romance and "division" between the preppies and the rest, the drunken teen parties, etc. Also, the sense of romanticism of new wave bands like Tears for Fears has been revived in the fetishistically romantic teen culture of nowadays, and alot of the fashions I see in the movie have definitely come back.

Subject: Re: Thoughts on FTRH and 16C

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/06 at 6:56 pm

What is FTRH and 16C?

It took me a minute, but FTRH is Fast Times at Ridgemont High and 16C is 16 Candles.

Written By: Davester on 06/21/06 at 3:14 am

It took me a minute, but FTRH is Fast Times at Ridgemont High and 16C is 16 Candles.

Okay, I get it, now...

The material for FTARH was supposedly researched by Cameron Crowe himself by actually "enrolling" in this high school?  It's more-or-less a decent time capsule of the early 80's but the characters are too exaggerated and stereotypical.  Much the same way John Hughes likes to treat his characters.

I'd much rather see an 80's version of D&C Dazed and Confused.  Seemed to portray these characters just as they were; like sneaking into their town and filming them on the sly.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/21/06 at 2:05 pm

Okay, I get it, now...

The material for FTARH was supposedly researched by Cameron Crowe himself by actually "enrolling" in this high school?  It's more-or-less a decent time capsule of the early 80's but the characters are too exaggerated and stereotypical.  Much the same way John Hughes likes to treat his characters.

I'd much rather see an 80's version of D&C Dazed and Confused.  Seemed to portray these characters just as they were; like sneaking into their town and filming them on the sly.

I always thought Dazed and Confused was one of the best '70s (borderline '80s) teen angst dramedies. It reminded me a lot of how American Graffiti was - kids just being kids.

Check for new replies or respond here...