inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arena Rock

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/06 at 3:15 am

What are your thoughts in general on this style, or what encompasses it?

I'd define it as a typically fun and upbeat type of rock that has some hard rock leanings (i.e. loud guitar solos, a generally "big" sound) but appeals to pop and even AC audiences as well. It's usually very polished and catchy, with keyboards, synthesizers and sometimes non-contional "rock" instruments.

Token Artists: Journey, Huey Lewis, Bad Company, Cars, Loverboy, Foreigner, Eddie Money.
Active Years: 1973-87 (with elements up to 1991)

Personally, it's one of my favorite kinds of music ('80s or at all), even if it can't seem to catch a break overall (well, I even admit it's kinda cheesy sometimes). :D

Subject: Re: Arena Rock

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/23/06 at 6:06 pm

I'd define it as a typically fun and upbeat type of rock that has some hard rock leanings (i.e. loud guitar solos, a generally "big" sound) but appeals to pop and even AC audiences as well. It's usually very polished and catchy, with keyboards, synthesizers and sometimes non-contional "rock" instruments.

Token Artists: Journey, Huey Lewis, Bad Company, Cars, Loverboy, Foreigner, Eddie Money.

Personally, it's one of my favorite kinds of music ('80s or at all), even if it can't seem to catch a break overall (well, I even admit it's kinda cheesy sometimes). :D

Would you include Van Halen's "Jump" in it?

Written By: Dominic L. on 06/23/06 at 6:47 pm

It's ok. It gets real trite sometimes... Such as Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 12:28 am

Would you include Van Halen's "Jump" in it?

Yeah, it covers a few genres (great song too). :)  I think it was also an influence on the hair metal of 1987+, but it has some arena rock in it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/06 at 9:04 pm

In Canada, we had lots of homegrown Arena Rock artists in the 80s ... Triumph, Saga, Tom Cochrane, Rush, Loverboy, Honeymoon Suite, Chilliwack, Trooper, Brighton Rock, and Helix (the latter two which were among the biggest Metal bands in Canada)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/25/06 at 7:49 pm

I like arena rock better than hair metal; it wasn't as raw as hair metal. 

Would you say arena rock is a mix of classic rock and new wave pop?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/26/06 at 8:18 pm

I always thought Arena rock was any kind of Rock music which had a 'big sound' and tended to be played in large arenas and stadiums - e.g. by big headlining bands like Queen, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Boston, AC/DC.etc.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/06 at 11:50 pm

Would you say arena rock is a mix of classic rock and new wave pop?

Good description. I'd say so - there's bands like The Cars, which could really classify as both.

BTW just curious, are you into them at all? They're one of my faves. Interestingly, I believe their most "new wavey" songs came at the beginning and end of their career. Stuff like "Just What I Needed" and "Let's Go" were like early '79ish "80s music", and their last hit "You Are the Girl" in 1987, is just a really polished version of that.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/06 at 12:27 am

Yeah, overall I prefer Arena rock to Hair metal but there are alot of Hair metal songs IMO that could pass as Arena rock songs esp. some of the power ballads(Heaven,Carrie,etc.)

Check for new replies or respond here...