inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do People Born in the Late '80s Have A Bit of '80s Experience?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/23/06 at 2:45 pm

Do people born in the late '80s, or 1990 have a bit of '80s experience, from the parts of the '80s that went into the '90s?  If you were born in 1987, you would remember a little bit of 1990 and 1991, which were still highly '80s.  Even somebody born in 1990 might remember the Ninja Turtles and Super Nintendo, or own '80s toys as hand-me-downs.

Subject: Re: Do People Born in the Late '80s Have A Bit of '80s Experience?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/23/06 at 2:50 pm

Do people born in the late '80s, or 1990 have a bit of '80s experience, from the parts of the '80s that went into the '90s?  If you were born in 1987, you would remember a little bit of 1990 and 1991, which were still highly '80s.  Even somebody born in 1990 might remember the Ninja Turtles and Super Nintendo, or own '80s toys as hand-me-downs.

Yeah I remember some '80s stuff like you said Ninja Turtles that carried over into the early '90s. Super Nintendo came out in the '90s though, it's not an '80s thing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/23/06 at 3:32 pm

Un poquito. I remember '80s toys and stuff like The Transformers and TMNT.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/06 at 11:37 pm

Sure, why not?

I was born at the tail-end of the '60s and I got plenty of '60s experience. I was at a special advantage because my parents were *hippies,*

The death of the '60s (culturally, not chronologically) happened in the fall of 1980:
a. Ronald Reagan was elected.
b. John Lennon was assassinated.
That was the end, my only friend!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 4:04 am

Un poquito. I remember '80s toys and stuff like The Transformers and TMNT.

Yeah, alot of 80s things like Transformers, TMNT, Care Bears.etc carried onto into the late 90s. Alot of '90s 'kids stuff was actually carried over 80s stuff.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 4:42 am

Sure, why not?

I was born at the tail-end of the '60s and I got plenty of '60s experience. I was at a special advantage because my parents were *hippies,*

The death of the '60s (culturally, not chronologically) happened in the fall of 1980:
a. Ronald Reagan was elected.
b. John Lennon was assassinated.
That was the end, my only friend!

Yeah...I suppose I have a tiny bit of '80s experience, in a roundabout way, through having alot of the technology and cars carried over into my life through 1998, even.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 4:48 am

Yeah...I suppose I have a tiny bit of '80s experience, in a roundabout way, through having alot of the technology and cars carried over into my life through 1998, even.

Would an 86er have any more '80s experience' than a 90er? That's an interesting question.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 4:57 am

Would an 86er have any more '80s experience' than a 90er? That's an interesting question.

A tiny bit. But things like TMNT carried well over to 1995...I remember watching that alot when I was a little kid. I don't think significantly, though it also depends on the person and what pop culture they liked growing up.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/24/06 at 5:03 am

A tiny bit. But things like TMNT carried well over to 1995...I remember watching that alot when I was a little kid. I don't think significantly, though it also depends on the person and what pop culture they liked growing up.

Yeah you can say some carried over till 95, but 1998 is really really stretching it lol.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 5:05 am

Yes, I'll have to concurr that we 86ers didn't have much more of an 80s appreciation in most aspects, but we certainly were exposed to 80s throw-back TV shows which were prominent on the airwaves in the early to mid 90s, which you would've been to old too really appareciate.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 5:07 am

Yes, I'll have to concurr that we 86ers didn't have much more of an 80s appreciation in most aspects, but we certainly were exposed to 80s throw-back TV shows which were prominent on the airwaves in the early to mid 90s, which you would've been to old too really appareciate.

Though again, it depends on the person and their tastes/circumstances.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 5:10 am

Though again, it depends on the person and their tastes/circumstances.

Yes of course. It's possible for someone born in 1986 to have almost no '80s experience' - I prefer the term 80s appareciation, because experience implies actually LIVING through a time. But I'm talking about ON THE WHOLE, we watched far more 80s cartoons than your year. You may have an especially keen sense of the past, but most people your age DO NOT.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 5:12 am

Yes of course. It's possible for someone born in 1986 to have almost no '80s experience' - I prefer the term 80s appareciation, because experience implies actually LIVING through a time. But I'm talking about ON THE WHOLE, we watched far more 80s cartoons than your year. You may have an especially keen sense of the past, but most people your age DO NOT.

Oh, stop with the superiority. I admit you have more '80s experience.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 5:15 am

Oh, stop with the superiority. I admit you have more '80s experience.

Not being superior. Just stating a fact - we were born four years earlier than you. It doesn't mean we're better than you or anything.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 6:48 am

Not being superior. Just stating a fact - we were born four years earlier than you. It doesn't mean we're better than you or anything.

Yes, but with the capital letters and crap. I know you were born 4 years earlier than me.  You don't need to f*cking keep harping on it. 20 year olds oftentimes have a problem where they think they're "so adult." Though, 20 year olds really aren't all that adult. I actually ended a friendship with somebody about your age who I had been close to when I was 14 and she was 17 because she's gotten so superior and into thinking she's an "adult."

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/06 at 8:14 pm

Well, I'd like to think I have some '80s experince. I had an NES, I was a huge TMNT fan in the early '90s, and alot of the cartoons I watched up to about 1995 or so either came out in the '80s or had a heavy '80s influence.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 9:13 pm

It's all relative, dude. ;)

Yes, I admit, while I've had quite a few circa 1985ers make me feel old/past my peak (especially from 1998-03), I'd never go so far to say they were all like that, and I wasn't superior to them. I knew it could've just been personal experiences (i.e. their parents being more conservative/sheltering them from pop culture, etc) being the reason they didn't remember/like the '80s.

Same with '86ers vs '90ers. :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/25/06 at 8:43 pm

I don't think there should have to be a debate about who remembers what and what makes one better because of their memories. There are lots of kids I know who don't remmeber things the same way I do as a kid. I was just very observant and took notice of detail as a child, so things really stuck with me.

Some kids just don't pay attention to a lot of detail and that's perfectly normal. We're just kids, right? What we remember is the most important - no matter what year it came from.. no matter what, it's still the past and still a bygone time that we'll never get back.

And James, being 20 isn't about being superior. If your friend was acting that way, it's because she probably felt she needed to be that way. But, believe me, I know SO many immature 30 year olds, so don't take 20 and think it's a time that kids start acting adult. Kids start acting adult when they're ready; age will only be the factor in which we measure they're maturity... but it's never a clear cut method for everyone.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/25/06 at 10:49 pm

I don't think there should have to be a debate about who remembers what and what makes one better because of their memories. There are lots of kids I know who don't remmeber things the same way I do as a kid. I was just very observant and took notice of detail as a child, so things really stuck with me.

Some kids just don't pay attention to a lot of detail and that's perfectly normal. We're just kids, right? What we remember is the most important - no matter what year it came from.. no matter what, it's still the past and still a bygone time that we'll never get back.

And James, being 20 isn't about being superior. If your friend was acting that way, it's because she probably felt she needed to be that way. But, believe me, I know SO many immature 30 year olds, so don't take 20 and think it's a time that kids start acting adult. Kids start acting adult when they're ready; age will only be the factor in which we measure they're maturity... but it's never a clear cut method for everyone.

Exactly, and how exactly have I been acting 'superior', I'd like to know? Saying you remember more is not the same as acting superior...

Written By: 1993 on 06/26/06 at 12:14 am

sure they can since the 80's did seep enough into the 90's so that 87-88 babies definitely know something about 80's culture, music, fashion, politics etc.

Check for new replies or respond here...