inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American vs. British New Wave

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 7:04 am

What would you say the difference is between "American New Wave" (Devo, Blondie, the Talking Heads, Oingo Boingo, even Cyndi Lauper) and British New Wave (everything else, almost)? I would say that "American New Wave" is more truly fun/jokey and a little less pretentious, whereas "British New Wave" is melodramatic and more pretentious, though not in a bad way.

Subject: Re: American vs. British New Wave

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 6:21 pm

Bump.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/06 at 7:27 pm

I'm a fan of Devo, Talking Heads, B-52s, and Blondie, but I can't stand Oingo Boingo. Furthermore, I am a Cyndi Lauper fan, but I wouldn't call her "New Wave." She was an eccentric pop singer with funky sartorial styles, but not really New Wave.
I am an bigger fan of British New Wave, if you mean Soft Cell, Human League, AFOS, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, and stuff like that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 10:00 pm

I'm a fan of Devo, Talking Heads, B-52s, and Blondie, but I can't stand Oingo Boingo. Furthermore, I am a Cyndi Lauper fan, but I wouldn't call her "New Wave." She was an eccentric pop singer with funky sartorial styles, but not really New Wave.
I am an bigger fan of British New Wave, if you mean Soft Cell, Human League, AFOS, Eurythmics, Depeche Mode, The Cure, The Smiths, and stuff like that.

Cyndi Lauper was totally unique at the time and had a "new wave"/early MTV sense of style that really stood out...she's more pop-wave, maybe like Wham! or Culture Club. She grew out of the same downtown Manhattan scene as Madonna, the Talking Heads, and Blondie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/06 at 12:57 am

Cyndi Lauper was totally unique at the time and had a "new wave"/early MTV sense of style that really stood out...she's more pop-wave, maybe like Wham! or Culture Club. She grew out of the same downtown Manhattan scene as Madonna, the Talking Heads, and Blondie.

"New Wave" is a pretty fluid category. I see where you're coming from here. Her earlier band "Blue Angel" had some New Wave influence. If Lauper's "New Wave," she's the only New Waver I know who had a pro-wrestling connecting!
;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/25/06 at 3:30 pm

I think American New Wave is closer to indie rock, and British New Wave is closer to Eurotrash.  Both are part of the same movement.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 3:37 pm

I think American New Wave is closer to indie rock, and British New Wave is closer to Eurotrash.  Both are part of the same movement.

Yeah...American New Wave like the Talking Heads, Devo, and the B-52s sort of helped to begat the indie/alt rock of the later '80s, and was more closely related to the Velvet Underground and such.

Written By: _adam_ on 06/26/06 at 9:37 am

British New Wave beats American in everything:music,lyrics,image,videos,popularity.

Written By: Abercrombie86 on 06/26/06 at 12:50 pm

British New Wave seem to have the rythm (Funk) down it bit better, and American had A organic (Accoustic?) feel to it. I wouldn't say Eurotrash, but rather Futuristic.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/26/06 at 1:55 pm

New wave was not the American "artsy" rock music of the '80s, except for the first couple of years. It was alternative/college rock like the Replacements, Sonic Youth, R.E.M, etc. and hardcore punk like X and Black Flag.

Check for new replies or respond here...