inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pop Cultural Importance of Each of Madonna's Hit Singles

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 7:26 am

"Lucky Star" (1983/1984)-I see this single as truly starting dance-pop, first begun again with Michael Jackson. It revived sexy, disco-like music in the public's mind, and introduced the first true "sex goddess" of pop culture.
"Like a Virgin"/"Material Girl" (1984/1985)-I think of these two singles as ending the "era of camp" established by artists like Cyndi Lauper and the Human League, and starting the "era of irony." One essay I read about her said "the little girls understood", the children of Generation X, the constant juxtopistions of symbols virginal and erotic. I also think these two songs set the standard for '80s pop-wave, arguably, and for all female superstars, and established the amount of creativity you can use in a music video to create your image. "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" would have been nowhere near as controversial without their music videos.
"Open Your Heart" and "Papa Don't Preach" (1986/1987)-Helped to establish the style of late '80s pop like George Michael-more adult, dramatic, and darker than mid-'80s pop-wave. Also, the music videos had a tailored, darker style to them that went against the mid-'80s.
"Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" (1989)-Established a heavier, more gospel/soul-influenced musical style of power-pop popular in the early '90s. Madonna's crowning achievements video-wise, each exceptional mini-movies, with "Express Yourself"'s video exemplifying the industrial design fetish of c. 1989.
"Vogue" (1990)-Began the entry of house music into the U.S. charts, and influenced literally every dance-pop single to come after it. The most "adult" hit single of the '90s.

Subject: Re: Pop Cultural Importance of Each of Madonna's Hit Singles

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 6:21 pm

Bump.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 9:21 pm

"Lucky Star" (1983/1984)-I see this single as truly starting dance-pop, first begun again with Michael Jackson. It revived sexy, disco-like music in the public's mind, and introduced the first true "sex goddess" of pop culture.
"Like a Virgin"/"Material Girl" (1984/1985)-I think of these two singles as ending the "era of camp" established by artists like Cyndi Lauper and the Human League, and starting the "era of irony." One essay I read about her said "the little girls understood", the children of Generation X, the constant juxtopistions of symbols virginal and erotic. I also think these two songs set the standard for '80s pop-wave, arguably, and for all female superstars, and established the amount of creativity you can use in a music video to create your image. "Like a Virgin" and "Material Girl" would have been nowhere near as controversial without their music videos.
"Open Your Heart" and "Papa Don't Preach" (1986/1987)-Helped to establish the style of late '80s pop like George Michael-more adult, dramatic, and darker than mid-'80s pop-wave. Also, the music videos had a tailored, darker style to them that went against the mid-'80s.
"Like a Prayer" and "Express Yourself" (1989)-Established a heavier, more gospel/soul-influenced musical style of power-pop popular in the early '90s. Madonna's crowning achievements video-wise, each exceptional mini-movies, with "Express Yourself"'s video exemplifying the industrial design fetish of c. 1989.
"Vogue" (1990)-Began the entry of house music into the U.S. charts, and influenced literally every dance-pop single to come after it. The most "adult" hit single of the '90s.

I agree. I'd also say the True Blue and Like A Prayer albums (esp. the controversy over the video for the latter's title track - Pepsi pulling the ad it had featuring the song) as well as "Vogue" set the stage for her Erotica/super sexy/controversial era.

Maybe I'd put "Crazy For You" in there too, exposing her fans to a different side of her music, being her first true ballad (I guess "Borderline" was a semi ballad, but had the "Lucky Star" elements too).

"Burning Up" - more rock styled pop, maybe?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 9:52 pm

I agree. I'd also say the True Blue and Like A Prayer albums (esp. the controversy over the video for the latter's title track - Pepsi pulling the ad it had featuring the song) as well as "Vogue" set the stage for her Erotica/super sexy/controversial era.

Maybe I'd put "Crazy For You" in there too, exposing her fans to a different side of her music, being her first true ballad (I guess "Borderline" was a semi ballad, but had the "Lucky Star" elements too).

"Burning Up" - more rock styled pop, maybe?

Madonna's early, 1983ish stuff off her first album is more corny American 1982ish/1983ish pop-wave than anything else. It's sort of similar to Cyndi Lauper or Tommy Tutone ("867-5309"), or a less evolved, more dance-y version of the Thompson Twins' "Lies." "Live to Tell" and "Crazy for You" sort of rewrote the rules for A/C crossover for all artists, and "Into the Groove" was one of the first overtly "dance" hits of the mid-'80s.

"Like a Virgin" and "Vogue" are her two most "important" songs, IMO. "Like a Virgin" is the definitive '80s  pop track, and it was revolutionary at the time for the amount of control she presented over her image. Before then, mainstream female musicians didn't do that-you know, masturbating in a wedding dress, like she did at the MTV Awards, especially when it was totally their own decision, and the "mature sexuality" of her music was shocking at the time, especially combined with the cute poppiness of the music. It's often said that Madonna's overtaking of Cyndi Lauper is symbolic of the end of the '80s being "camp" into being more "ironic."

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/06 at 10:35 pm

Madonna's early, 1983ish stuff off her first album is more corny American 1982ish/1983ish pop-wave than anything else. It's sort of similar to Cyndi Lauper or Tommy Tutone ("867-5309"), or a less evolved, more dance-y version of the Thompson Twins' "Lies." "Live to Tell" and "Crazy for You" sort of rewrote the rules for A/C crossover for all artists, and "Into the Groove" was one of the first overtly "dance" hits of the mid-'80s.

"Like a Virgin" and "Vogue" are her two most "important" songs, IMO. "Like a Virgin" is the definitive '80s   pop track, and it was revolutionary at the time for the amount of control she presented over her image. Before then, mainstream female musicians didn't do that-you know, masturbating in a wedding dress, like she did at the MTV Awards, especially when it was totally their own decision, and the "mature sexuality" of her music was shocking at the time, especially combined with the cute poppiness of the music. It's often said that Madonna's overtaking of Cyndi Lauper is symbolic of the end of the '80s being "camp" into being more "ironic."

Yeah, the self-titled debut album could've come out as early as 1981, at least in terms of sound. BTW, do you think she was more shocking, just from her sexuality, than Prince was? They both used it alot (just listen to his "Let's Pretend We're Married"), but it was more "shocking" in a cultural sense, to have a chick doing it in that way. The PMRC even targeted "Dress You Up" in their inappropriate list (which is so ironic 'cause it sounds very innocent, especially today). ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 10:48 pm

Yeah, the self-titled debut album could've come out as early as 1981, at least in terms of sound. BTW, do you think she was more shocking, just from her sexuality, than Prince was? They both used it alot (just listen to his "Let's Pretend We're Married"), but it was more "shocking" in a cultural sense, to have a chick doing it in that way. The PMRC even targeted "Dress You Up" in their inappropriate list (which is so ironic 'cause it sounds very innocent, especially today). ;)

I think she was probably even slightly more shocking than Prince. Prince's stuff like "Let's Pretend We're Married" was coming from a black guy (albeit a short, effeminate one), and in the '70s America had become used to them as being sexual through funk and soul like Barry White and Al Green. It was just a "step beyond." Though "Darling Nikki" was pretty shocking, and, like "Dress You Up" and "She-Bop", was targeted by the PMRC.

Do you agree that her whole Erotica album, along with "Vogue", "Rescue Me", and "Justify My Love", was sort of an attempt to update herself for the '90s? The singles worked better to do so than "Erotica." Probably, what she hoped to do was give herself a darker/grittier image, particularly c. 1992 with songs like "Deeper and Deeper" (the music video is quite '90s), and the controversy of the title track and the Sex book. It failed because it was such a calculated "90sification" attempt (Prince's attempt with Diamonds and Pearls failed, but less spectacularly), and because it wasn't marketed correctly. That, and people were eager to give her up as an icon of 1984.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 2:25 pm

About the sound of the debut album...the only tracks that sound Madonna-like are "Lucky Star" and "Holiday", or maybe in a primitive sense "Burning Up."

Check for new replies or respond here...