inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the '80s Your Parents' Decade Yet?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/25/06 at 7:45 pm

Would you say the '80s are now completely "your folks' decade" to the kids of the '00s?  To a 13-year-old born in 1993, they probably are, but a 15-year-old in 2001 born in 1986 probably wouldn't see them as being that old.

Subject: Re: Are the '80s Your Parents' Decade Yet?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/25/06 at 7:47 pm

No not to me, to someone born in 92 or 93 probably.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 8:38 pm

No. Well, not for most teenagers...the '70s is still your parents' decade. The average parent of a kid born in 1990, from my observations, seems to be born 1958-1960. By 1994, maybe it is.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/25/06 at 9:00 pm

Since I was born in 1971, I would have to say heck no.  They are my decade.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/25/06 at 11:34 pm

Born in 1976, my parents' decades were the  60s and 70s. My dad was born in '54 and my mom in '55.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/26/06 at 12:15 am

I was born in 1982 and my parents were born in 1949, so their decades were the 60s and 70s.

Written By: karen on 06/26/06 at 3:41 am

I consider the 80s my decade.  Very few of my friends have teenage kids yet.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/06 at 11:29 pm

In the overall sense, I think they're approaching it, but not quite there yet (give it until 2015-20).

Of course there's all kinds of variables (someone can biologically have a kid at 11 or 12, but that doesn't make it the norm, lol), but if we're basing it merely on age and not personal tastes, etc. I'd say anyone born roughly after 1995 would view the '80s as "parental" or "a generation before my time" - not that they'd dislike it or anything, but still.

Reason being, anyone born 1996+ probably would barely even remember the '90s (save for a few things in '99), so I think if you can't even recall personal experience from the decade touching after it, it sort of crosses the fence from "older" to "My parents' time". For instance, that's how I always saw the '60s -- don't get me wrong, I always liked some stuff from then and it's still very much in my grasp, but I look at the '70s as being pretty recent to my time (well, they were). However, I did not with the '60s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/06 at 12:20 am

In the overall sense, I think they're approaching it, but not quite there yet (give it until 2015-20).

Of course there's all kinds of variables (someone can biologically have a kid at 11 or 12, but that doesn't make it the norm, lol), but if we're basing it merely on age and not personal tastes, etc. I'd say anyone born roughly after 1995 would view the '80s as "parental" or "a generation before my time" - not that they'd dislike it or anything, but still.

Reason being, anyone born 1996+ probably would barely even remember the '90s (save for a few things in '99), so I think if you can't even recall personal experience from the decade touching after it, it sort of crosses the fence from "older" to "My parents' time". For instance, that's how I always saw the '60s -- don't get me wrong, I always liked some stuff from then and it's still very much in my grasp, but I look at the '70s as being pretty recent to my time (well, they were). However, I did not with the '60s.

I agree. I still see the '70s as my parents decade(even though there "time" really continued into the early '80s). It'll probably be a bit into the 2010's as you said before the '80s starts being seen that way.

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 06/27/06 at 2:32 pm

No. Well, not for most teenagers...the '70s is still your parents' decade. The average parent of a kid born in 1990, from my observations, seems to be born 1958-1960. By 1994, maybe it is.

Thank you.  Sorry, but most people aren't that young having kids.  Maybe next decade.

As to the original question...reaction.... :o :o :o :o

"My folks' decade" is still the '50s!  (Again, average age at birth ~30yo; I was NOT a child of a Child of the '60s! ::))

Check for new replies or respond here...