inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bands/Singers who called it quits in the 80s

Written By: Dubble Bubble on 06/26/06 at 2:50 pm

Who were some bands and singers that called it a day in the 80s?

Culture Club disbanded in 1987, but they re-formed in late 90s.  Their last 80s hit I remember was Move Away

Subject: Re: Bands/Singers who called it quits in the 80s

Written By: Paul on 06/26/06 at 2:57 pm

One of the most famous would be Abba...

...BUT, they never actually said 'we're quitting'...the official line was 'we're taking a break'...

Nearly 25 years later, they're still 'taking a break'...!

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/06 at 2:59 pm

How about Nazareth?  I don't know if they ever called it quits officially.  The last song I remember from them was 'Love Leads to Madness' which came out in 1982.  It was quite popular here, and, other than 'Love Hurts', is the Nazareth song that I best remember

Culture Club disbanded in 1987, but they re-formed in late 90s.  Their last 80s hit I remember was Move Away

'Move Away' was their last entry in the US charts (reaching the Top 20).  In the UK, it was 'God Thank You Woman' which cracked the UK Top 40.  Here in Canada, their final hit was 'Gusto Blusto' which made a brief appearance in the Top 100

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 3:00 pm

Who were some bands and singers that called it a day in the 80s?

The latest is that Culture Club are reforming this year and are seeking a new frontman to replace the Boy George figure.

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/06 at 3:01 pm

The latest is that Culture Club are reforming this year and are seeking a new frontman to replace the Boy George figure.

They could get Marilyn?  Or Pete Burns (DOA)  or maybe Dame Edna ;D

Written By: Paul on 06/26/06 at 3:05 pm

'Move Away' was their last entry in the US charts (reaching the Top 20).  In the UK, it was 'God Thank You Woman' which cracked the UK Top 40.

They did manage to wring out a handful of hits in their reformed period...

'I Just Wanna Be Loved' hit #4 in 1998, while the following year, 'Your Kisses Are Charity' hit #25 and we finally gave 'em the 'Cold Shoulder' (#43) soon after!

Written By: Davester on 06/26/06 at 7:00 pm

One my favorites, The Cars...

Written By: Bury_Manilow on 06/26/06 at 11:11 pm

Probably the most famous would be The Police; they broke up at their peak.

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/06 at 11:15 pm

Probably the most famous would be The Police; they broke up at their peak.

Wham! did that also

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 1:18 am

Wham! did that also
Wham! truly only existed of one real performer.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/06 at 1:25 am

Wham! truly only existed of one real performer.

In their early days, they were a duo, but on their final album, you could certainly notice Ridgeley's absence, technically speaking.  He was pretty much a back-up musician for a George Michael solo career all along

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 1:28 am

The Moody Blues had a hit with Blue World in 1983, did they reform then or finally split at that time?

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/06 at 1:34 am

The Moody Blues had a hit with Blue World in 1983, did they reform then or finally split at that time?

The Moody Blues were actually more successful in North America.  "Blue World" was their only UK Hit of the 80's.  From 1981-1988, they reached the US Charts with 8 singles, several which went Top 40 in the USA and/or Canada

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/06 at 1:39 am

The Moody Blues were actually more successful in North America.  "Blue World" was their only UK Hit of the 80's.  From 1981-1988, they reached the US Charts with 8 singles, several which went Top 40 in the USA and/or Canada
...but of course are much better known for their 60s and 70s hits, especially Nights In White Satin and Question.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/06 at 2:15 am

...but of course are much better known for their 60s and 70s hits, especially Nights In White Satin and Question.

Yes

Ironically though in the USA, they had more Top 20 hits in the 80s then they did in the 60s/70s.  Their biggest US hit was 'Nights in White Satin' and their biggest UK hit was 'Go Now' (which reached the top spot) in 1964

Written By: lleelee on 06/27/06 at 12:56 pm

The Police disbanded in 1984 right after the success of the album "Synchonicity".Sting was destined to go solo since he was the lead singer and songwriter.

The Clash disbanded in the mid-eighties. There were rumors the band were considering reuniting before Joe Strummer's death. :\'(

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 06/29/06 at 8:29 pm

Hawk's Top 8 Bands Who Said "'Nuff" In the '80s

8. The Police (although Sting HAS been debating whether to reunite The Police, for one more tour...)
7. Devo (They wanna get back together, but Mark Mothersbaugh says "No".)
6. Night Ranger (The song that made them world-famous also broke them up.)
5. The Vapors (A potentially good band, with only one novelty hit- what a pity.)
4. The Who (Even though they reunited in 1989 and 1999, they stopped recording in 1982.)
3. The Monkees (They tried a comeback in the mid-'80s, but they just couldn't do it.)
2. The Jam (I never saw this band, but I have heard a bit of them...purely amazing...)
AND! Hawk's Top Pick For The Band Who Packed It In In the 1980s
1. The Alley Cats (Most ppl only know them from their appearance on "URGH!", but they were quite good.)

Check for new replies or respond here...