inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst '80s Video For a Great Song

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/26/06 at 11:18 pm

"Tainted Love" by Soft Cell. You don't get goofier than that.

Subject: Re: Worst '80s Video For a Great Song

Written By: zcrito on 06/26/06 at 11:26 pm

Did they even have a video for it ? And if they did, refresh my memory -- what was it about ?
???

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/06 at 11:40 pm

Did they even have a video for it ? And if they did, refresh my memory -- what was it about ?
???

There was one, but it's not one often seen.  In it, Marc Almond is dressed up like a roman god, while he sings to this little girl who is holding a cricket ball

Written By: zcrito on 06/26/06 at 11:51 pm

There was one, but it's not one often seen.  In it, Marc Almond is dressed up like a roman god, while he sings to this little girl who is holding a cricket ball

Never saw it. I wonder if the video was created back when the song first came out or made much later when it (the song) finally started getting heavy air play in the U.S., which was probably early 1984. Sort of like that video for Devo's "Whip It".

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/06 at 11:59 pm

Never saw it. I wonder if the video was created back when the song first came out or made much later when it (the song) finally started getting heavy air play in the U.S., which was probably early 1984. Sort of like that video for Devo's "Whip It".

The video for it was made in 1981 when the song came out.  Tainted Love peaked in the U.S. charts in early 1982 :)

Written By: 80sforever on 06/27/06 at 1:41 am

ok you got me curious and I had to go and watch the video. It was well interesting to say the least.. ;D

Here's a link to the video in case someone's never seen it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEh5pWjcWCg

Written By: Bobby on 06/27/06 at 4:17 am

There was a different video (probably just made for the UK) about some guy who reads his horoscopes and then goes to sleep only to be woken up by some people made up of stars.

I have it in my collection.

Written By: Bobby on 06/27/06 at 4:58 am

I consider a video to be awful if it lacks imagination, is uninspired or doesn't add to the song in any way whatsoever.

Here are some contenders . . .

'Oh L'amour' - Dollar
'I just died in your arms tonight (both versions)' - Cutting Crew
'Don't worry, be happy' - Bobby McFerrin
'A good heart' - Feargal Sharkey

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 6:38 am

There was a different video (probably just made for the UK) about some guy who reads his horoscopes and then goes to sleep only to be woken up by some people made up of stars.

I've seen both videos...the UK one is sort of sexy, in a "very hokey" way (cute guy.) But the "roman God" version is just about the absolute strangest, stagiest thing ever committed to MTV.

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 8:34 am

Rio, Duran Duran...

oh boy. I personally find it cringe worthy.

and what's the one where Simon takes the elevator down into the land of the feral people ...that one's pretty bad too.

my all time favorite worst video of the 80s is I'm Still STanding by Elton John

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/06 at 10:53 am

That was the one they re-filmed in 1991 for when Tainted Love was re-mixed and re-charted :)

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/06 at 11:07 am

"Just Like You" by FM.  This was a HUGE Canadian hit in 1985.  Awesome song, but really bad music video (but as bad as it was, I kind of liked it)

The lead singer of FM was Nash the Slash, and if you have ever heard of him before, he was a singer who dressed up like the invisible man, and well, just seeing a man wrapped up in bandages singing new wave just makes me laugh ;D

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/27/06 at 2:25 pm

Yes... That's the only "Tainted Love" video that I've ever seen. I've seen it played plenty of times too.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/27/06 at 7:40 pm

Relax.  Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

It's everything you secretly hoped it wasn't.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 8:47 pm

Relax.  Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

It's everything you secretly hoped it wasn't.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've seen the banned version of it...it's absolutely, absolutely hilarious. Ditto with the Roman theme...I guess the orgiastic Romana thing went along with the excess of the '80s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/06 at 9:17 pm

The Fixx: One Thing Leads to Another (as great a song as ever graced the 10)...but that video! You got Cy Curnin strutting about in some suterrean tunnels, and kissing Doberman Pinschers. It's an art school thing, you wouldn't understand! ;)

Written By: zcrito on 06/28/06 at 5:23 pm

ok you got me curious and I had to go and watch the video. It was well interesting to say the least.. ;D

Here's a link to the video in case someone's never seen it...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEh5pWjcWCg

Well I watched quite a bit of MTV between 1982-85, and I don't recall ever seeing that video. It is an odd one.
:o

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/04/06 at 2:02 pm

Kate Bush's "Breathing" comes to mind. It's the very early '80s, so I don't tend to be too hard on it... Basically, Kate rolls around in a large plastic bubble, and then she's inexplicably running around and wading through water with a bunch of other people in white jumpsuits.

While the video leaves a lot to be desired, the song itself is fantasic.

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 07/04/06 at 7:19 pm

MTV ranked "Electric Youth" from Debbie Gibson as their worst in 1999, but it's a fun video  >:(

How about Don Henley "Boys of Summer", which is very boring video, but a good song

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/04/06 at 8:31 pm

Kate Bush's "Breathing" comes to mind. It's the very early '80s, so I don't tend to be too hard on it... Basically, Kate rolls around in a large plastic bubble, and then she's inexplicably running around and wading through water with a bunch of other people in white jumpsuits.

While the video leaves a lot to be desired, the song itself is fantasic.

Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" video is unbelievably melodramatic and corny...but Kate Bush is beautiful and the song is great, which makes up for it.

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/06 at 8:34 pm

MTV ranked "Electric Youth" from Debbie Gibson as their worst in 1999, but it's a fun video  >:(

A show here in Canada called "Back in 1989" voted "Electric Youth" as the worst music video of 1989  :\'(

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/04/06 at 9:37 pm

Games without frontiers- Peter Gabriel.

Dude, the kids don't need to be in there.

Written By: gmann on 07/05/06 at 7:35 am

Games without frontiers- Peter Gabriel.

Dude, the kids don't need to be in there.

...but a great song, nonetheless. In that video, Peter reminds me of the guy from "Dark Shadows". Dunno why.

Subject: Billy Crockett

Written By: KarensMusic on 07/10/06 at 12:31 pm

Hi, There...was doing a search for Billy Crockett lyrics, and your post came up.  Looking for the lyrics/music to an old Crockett song based on I COR 13.  Do you know the one I'm talking about?  Please advise if you know.  Blessings!   :D---K

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/10/06 at 1:01 pm

A show here in Canada called "Back in 1989" voted "Electric Youth" as the worst music video of 1989  :\'(

I love Back In.... I wish they'd play more episodes that deal with the '90s though.

Written By: woops on 07/10/06 at 6:13 pm

"Foolin" Def Leppard, just plain weird

Written By: Schillingfan on 07/12/06 at 11:37 am

"(I'll Never Be) Maria Magdalena" by Sandra- thankfully she had better with her videos after that one!!

Written By: Sean1983 on 07/12/06 at 8:56 pm

I never liked the True Faith video by New Order.

Check for new replies or respond here...