inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 8 Track Tapes in the 80s

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/06 at 1:55 am

Oh yes, they did exist ...

http://www.8trackheaven.com/80s.html

http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/crue.jpg http://www.8trackheaven.com/Images/hueyfore.jpg

Subject: Re: 8 Track Tapes in the 80s

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/28/06 at 2:05 am

How popular were they? I'd say 1974-79 was the peak 8 track era, but I'm sure they didn't disappear right away (regular tapes probably put a dent in their popularity, but I bet CD's really killed 'em).

I first started going into music stores around 1987 and by then, I don't think I ever saw any.

I was shocked to see Huey's Fore! on there! That's probably one of the few albums released on 8track and CD at the same time. ;D

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/06 at 2:10 am

How popular were they? I'd say 1974-79 was the peak 8 track era, but I'm sure they didn't disappear right away (regular tapes probably put a dent in their popularity, but I bet CD's really killed 'em).

I first started going into music stores around 1987 and by then, I don't think I ever saw any.

I was shocked to see Huey's Fore! on there! That's probably one of the few albums released on 8track and CD at the same time. ;D

They were record club imports.  I don't believe they were widely available in stores, though I am sure a few mom and pop record stores carried them ;D

The last 8-Track Tape ever made was (i believe) "Small World" by Huey Lewis

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/06 at 1:51 pm

They were record club imports.  I don't believe they were widely available in stores, though I am sure a few mom and pop record stores carried them ;D

The last 8-Track Tape ever made was (i believe) "Small World" by Huey Lewis

not really.

George Harrison's "Cloud 9" was the last 8 track offered by Columbia House Music.

There are still one or two 8-track manufacturers, small ones, cranking out country 8 tracks for truckers.  A lot of smaller radio stations used them for commercials as well, and I'm sure not all of them have been replaced yet.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/06 at 1:55 pm

not really.

George Harrison's "Cloud 9" was the last 8 track offered by Columbia House Music.

There are still one or two 8-track manufacturers, small ones, cranking out country 8 tracks for truckers.  A lot of smaller radio stations used them for commercials as well, and I'm sure not all of them have been replaced yet.

Some radio stations still use 8 Tracks.  If you ever noticed on the sitcom "Fraiser", you can see a whole wall of 8-Tracks in Roz's booth

Written By: KKay on 06/29/06 at 1:58 pm

I had Born To Run and The Police...
the best about the springsteen 8 track was that jungleland was one whole track so when it was over, 3 clicks and you heard it again!!!

Roxanne on 8 track..he he he

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/06 at 2:24 pm

Some radio stations still use 8 Tracks.  If you ever noticed on the sitcom "Fraiser", you can see a whole wall of 8-Tracks in Roz's booth

Those are "carts".  They're similar to an 8-track, but they aren't.  They're only two tracks with inifinte tape loops in them.  Some radio stations used actual 8-tracks before the more professional versions were made.

Written By: Paul on 06/29/06 at 2:36 pm

Warners last offering was 'Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits' (the one with the green cover), which must have been 1988-ish...

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/06 at 3:20 pm

New releases on 8-track

http://www.8trackheaven.com/longlive.html

8 track heaven is of course the ultimate "trackers" resource. I used to get the printed newsletter "8-track Mind" which I think was affilated with them.  I've got the documentary they made on 8-track.

and I didn't know about the Fleetwood Mac collection on 8-track. For a long time the folks at 8-track mind were saying Cloud Nine was the last record club offering on 8-track.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/29/06 at 9:17 pm

Can't say I was a fan of the 8 track player or tape.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/30/06 at 12:17 am

A lot of your older "Muzak" systems also use 8 track tapes.  I know of at least one fast food place in town that uses an 8-track muzak system.  I eat there fairly often, and since they only change it every 3-4 months, I get to know what songs will be comming up.

The 8 track was pretty much dead by the end of the 1980's, being replaced by cassette.  My sister-in-law had one in her car, but used one of those cassette converters to play cassettes.

Written By: pell on 06/30/06 at 2:00 am

Ha ha. Huey Lewis & the News' "Fore" was on 8-track. That's great.

Well, I had/have the LP, so what am I laughing about?

Check for new replies or respond here...