inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Swatch

Written By: Deb on 07/01/06 at 11:50 pm

Was it popular in the 80's to wear swatch watches upside down (with the face on the inside of the wrist)?  Is this still polular?

Subject: Re: Swatch

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/02/06 at 12:21 am

I think it was more of a personal preference.  I never wore mine that way, however I had a few friends who did.  I also knew a few girls who wore more than one Swatch.

I got my first Swatch while I was on a cruise, when I got home my friends laughed at my PLASTIC watch...a few months later everyone had them.

Written By: robby76 on 07/02/06 at 1:50 am

I've never heard of wearing them the other way round. I bought my first in 1987... a normal one which I jazzed up with a different coloured guard. Then in the early 90s I got one of those material big strapped ones. I remember the more multi-coloured the better. They really had a good marketing team as never before had a watch become such a fad.

Is there a website with all the designs from the 80s/90s? I'd love to find pics of the two I had.

Written By: Deb on 07/03/06 at 4:28 pm

Swatches are not as common now.  I still see them sometimes.  My little son's 17 year-old summer soccer coach wears a plastic Swatch watch and he wears it with the face on the inside of his wrist.  He said he wears it like that just to be different.  He also wears his hat backwards. (he's  a nice kid, although I was very upset when I seen him smoking with his girlfriend in front of the little kids after a game)

That just reminded me of Swatches, I seem to remember some kids in my school in the 80's wore them face-inside, it may of been a trend for a small time in my area.

Written By: bananas4life on 07/03/06 at 5:23 pm

I don't remember people wearing their swatches inside out, but I do remember people wearing their sweatshirts inside out.

Written By: Deb on 07/03/06 at 10:29 pm

Yes, I remember the inside out sweatshirt thing.  I was just looking at my class of 90 yearbook , I seen quite a few inside out sweatshirts.  I seen one who had his sweatshirt inside out and a Swatch worn upside down (swatch had all black band and white swatchguard).  The valadictorian wore his swatch upside down (grey band with yellow buckle).  One picture of seniors on a volunteer trip to Mexico, two boys had their Swatches worn upside down (one also had his shirt inside out), one had Swatch right side up, one girl had Swatch upside down, one girl with Swatch right side up.  In the yearbook I noticed about 50 Swatches, and 45% were worn upside down (face on under side of wrist, and strap on top part of wrist) .  I also noticed about 20 inside out sweatshirts.

Written By: jason on 07/22/06 at 11:22 pm

i had a Swatch when in high school.  It had a black band and had those guards that snap on the face.  I never wore it upside down but my girlfriend at the time wore her watch that way (upside down, with strap on top side of wrist), although it wasn't a swatch, it was a leather band watch.  I don't know why she did that, all i know is she was hot.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/23/06 at 8:29 am

Had one once, I think it was a blue Swatch.

Written By: spaceace on 10/01/06 at 9:01 pm

I had on with a plaid design.  (Also had the Swatch guard)  I wore my face up, I thought my swatch was too cool to wear any other way! 8)

Written By: KKay on 10/01/06 at 9:05 pm

all I have to say is i saw the word Swatch and I cracked up.
oh man.
mine was clear. what a joke. it was filthy dirty and uncleanable in about three minutes.

Check for new replies or respond here...