inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Importance of Prince's Purple Rain Album

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/03/06 at 12:44 am

I think it was arguably just as important as Thriller, though in some ways it followed in its footsteps. I'm also going to nominate "When Doves Cry" as one of the most important songs of the '80s.

Subject: Re: Importance of Prince's Purple Rain Album

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 1:02 am

I've only listened to the title track and 'When Doves Cry' and they did not make me want to listen to the whole album. Thriller, in contrast, while it was showy and glitzy, was a solid pop album with endless replay value and resonance.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/03/06 at 12:06 pm

I've only listened to the title track and 'When Doves Cry' and they did not make me want to listen to the whole album. Thriller, in contrast, while it was showy and glitzy, was a solid pop album with endless replay value and resonance.

The whole album is great...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:15 pm

To be honest, I could listen to Purple Rain in it's entirety. Thriller had some filler that required skipping ("The Girl is Mine" while it was okay, at the time and now, it's not a must listen). It showed the power of MTV as well b/c the film won an Oscar and put Prince up there alongside Michael. Also, it showed the idiocy of middle America and the PMRC as they put "Darling Nikki" on a watched list b/c of its content.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 8:58 pm

To be honest, I could listen to Purple Rain in it's entirety. Thriller had some filler that required skipping ("The Girl is Mine" while it was okay, at the time and now, it's not a must listen). It showed the power of MTV as well b/c the film won an Oscar and put Prince up there alongside Michael. Also, it showed the idiocy of middle America and the PMRC as they put "Darling Nikki" on a watched list b/c of its content.

I totally agree, Tanya.  ;D  The Purple Rain Soundtrack is solid through and through.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/05/06 at 9:00 pm

I totally agree, Tanya.   ;D  The Purple Rain Soundtrack is solid through and through.

There really isn't a bad song on there...each and every one could have been a hit single.

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/06/06 at 1:12 am

I agree.  Purple Rain really doesn't have a bad track on it.  The entire record is classic. 

And as much as I love Billie Jean, it blows Thriller outta the water...

Written By: Greenlantern on 07/06/06 at 2:44 am

To me Purple Rain was a awesome pice of work..every song was good..zero filler...Prince back in the day had a real "uniqueness" and a style all of his own. I really enjoyed and respected his work eventhough my taste were alot more "New Wave" ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...