inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: M1ke + The MeChaN1C5 - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/06 at 2:36 pm

Year 1985 1986 1986 1988 1989 1989 1989 1991 1991 1991 1995 1995 1995 1996 1996 1999 1999

Song Title Silent Running (On Dangerous Ground) All I Need is A Miracle Taken In Nobody's Perfect The Living Years Seeing is Believing Revolution Word of Mouth Time and Place Everybody Gets A Second Chance Over My Shoulder A Beggar on A Beach of Gold Mea Culpa Another Cup of Coffee All I Need is A Miracle '96 Now That You've Gone Whenever I Stop

United Kingdom #21 #53 -- -- #2 -- -- #13 #58 #56 #12 #33 -- #65 #27 #35 #73

Canada #8 #10 #39 -- #1 #46 #82 #36 -- #21 #22 -- #45 #53 -- -- --

United States #6 #5 #32 #63 #1 #62 -- #78 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Subject: Re: A Mike + the Mechanics Poll

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 3:28 pm

Only one choice The Living Years.

Written By: ADH13 on 07/04/06 at 4:08 pm

I don't really care for The Living Years, but I do love "Silent Running" :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/04/06 at 7:22 pm

Only one choice The Living Years.

It's the same over with me.

Written By: zcrito on 07/04/06 at 7:46 pm

I went with "Taken In" -- a nice sad song from the '80s.

Written By: whistledog on 07/04/06 at 7:58 pm

As much as I love their 80s works, I went for "Everybody Gets A Second Chance".  Back in the day, that was a song I used to love hearing on the radio :)

Written By: robby76 on 07/04/06 at 8:50 pm

Another vote for "Living Years", but "Over My Shoulder" gets a special mention for being a great 90s comeback... loved it!

Written By: Davester on 07/04/06 at 8:59 pm

Good group...

"Taken In"

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/06 at 12:58 am

It was The Living Years that introduced me to Cat Steven's Father and Son, which is another song about the generation difference.

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 07/05/06 at 5:46 am

The Living Years
All I Need is A Miracle

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:49 pm

I chose "The Living Years" I've always loved that song since I can remember. I also like, Silent Running and All I Need is a Miracle.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/05/06 at 7:50 pm

I wasn't ever a big fan but I chose "All I Need Is A Miracle".

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/07/06 at 7:03 am

As much as I love their 80s works, I went for "Everybody Gets A Second Chance".  Back in the day, that was a song I used to love hearing on the radio :)

If you've seen the movie, was that song in "Big Girls Don't Cry, They Get Even"?

Written By: whistledog on 01/30/07 at 7:45 pm

If you've seen the movie, was that song in "Big Girls Don't Cry, They Get Even"?

I know this is an old post .. I never saw the whole movie, but that song was used in it yes :)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/31/07 at 4:35 am

The Living Years... such a beautiful song, it always brings a tear to my eye...

Subject: Re: M1ke + The MeChaN1C5 - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/08 at 10:46 pm

Just for the heck of it .. facts about M1ke + The MeChaN1C5

Mike himself is none other than Mike Rutherford, founding member and guitarist for Genesis.  Phil Collins had found major success with his solo career, but Rutherford didn't have much luck as a solo artist, despite reaching the Canadian Top 40 in 1982 with the song 'Maxine', so he formed the Mechanics as a side project between Genesis albums. 

The two Mechanics vocalists were Paul Carrack and Paul M. Young.  Prior to the band's formation in 1985, Carrack was already well-known for his work in the 70s with Ace and the 1974 Top 40 hit 'How Long'.  As a member of Squeeze, he sang lead on their 1981 hit 'Tempted' and also had a US Top 40 solo hit in 1982 called 'I Need You'

Following the success of the Mechanics, Carrack juggled session work, The Mechanics, and his solo career, the latter which zoomed sky high when he broke the US Top 10 in 1988 with 'Don't Shed A Tear', a song written by Canadian singer Eddie Schwartz

Paul M. Young had previously been a member of the band Sad Café who scored a bunch of hits in their native UK in late 70s/early 80s with songs such as 'Li Da Di', 'My Oh My' and 'Run Home Girl', the latter which was a minor hit in North America.  Sadly in 1999, Young passed away due to a heart attack

The 1989 single 'Revolution' does not appear on any of the Mechanics' albums.  It was recorded for the 1989 motion picture 'Rude Awakening' and appears on that film's soundtrack

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/21/08 at 7:29 pm

I've always loved "All I Need is a Miracle" and "The Living Years".

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 8:27 pm

It's the same over with me.

Reminds me of my fathers death. :\'(

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/08 at 8:58 am

"All I Need is a Miracle" is their best song (I remember that at least from the early '90s or so on the radio, and always liked it).

I also got the Living Years album recently and it's really good. I thought it was gonna be adult contemporary and soft because of the title track (which is a beautiful song, but really depressing!), but I was surprised how upbeat alot of it is. "Seeing is Believing" and "Blame" almost sound like arena rock, and I just really like "Nobody's Perfect" (it's a ballad too, but more poppy). "Beautiful Day" is another really catchy medium tempo song.

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/23/08 at 9:16 am

Just for the heck of it .. facts about M1ke + The MeChaN1C5

Mike himself is none other than Mike Rutherford, founding member and guitarist for Genesis.  Phil Collins had found major success with his solo career, but Rutherford didn't have much luck as a solo artist, despite reaching the Canadian Top 40 in 1982 with the song 'Maxine', so he formed the Mechanics as a side project between Genesis albums. 

The two Mechanics vocalists were Paul Carrack and Paul M. Young.  Prior to the band's formation in 1985, Carrack was already well-known for his work in the 70s with Ace and the 1974 Top 40 hit 'How Long'.  As a member of Squeeze, he sang lead on their 1981 hit 'Tempted' and also had a US Top 40 solo hit in 1982 called 'I Need You'

Following the success of the Mechanics, Carrack juggled session work, The Mechanics, and his solo career, the latter which zoomed sky high when he broke the US Top 10 in 1988 with 'Don't Shed A Tear', a song written by Canadian singer Eddie Schwartz

Paul M. Young had previously been a member of the band Sad Café who scored a bunch of hits in their native UK in late 70s/early 80s with songs such as 'Li Da Di', 'My Oh My' and 'Run Home Girl', the latter which was a minor hit in North America.  Sadly in 1999, Young passed away due to a heart attack

The 1989 single 'Revolution' does not appear on any of the Mechanics' albums.  It was recorded for the 1989 motion picture 'Rude Awakening' and appears on that film's soundtrack

Squeeze was a really great band. I love their music.

Written By: midnite on 08/24/08 at 2:44 pm

Squeeze was a really great band. I love their music.

I like a couple of Sad Cafe songs like Everyday Hurts.  I didnt know Paul Young was in the band. Interesting.

My favorite Mike and the Mechanics song is "All I Need Is A Miracle."  Honestly, I never listened to their stuff after that song, so I do not have an opiniion on the other songs.

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/08 at 2:55 pm

I like a couple of Sad Cafe songs like Everyday Hurts.  I didnt know Paul Young was in the band. Interesting.

My favorite Mike and the Mechanics song is "All I Need Is A Miracle."  Honestly, I never listened to their stuff after that song, so I do not have an opiniion on the other songs.

There were 2 Paul Youngs.  The one who sang lead for Sad Café and The Mechanics was billed as Paul M. Young to avoid confusion with the solo artist who did 'Wherever I Lay My Hat', et al

Check for new replies or respond here...