inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the '80s Partially 21st Century?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/04/06 at 3:02 pm

The '80s are the last decade that is representative of the 20th Century (the '90s are too borderline 21st). Do you think the '80s were partially 21st Century? The '80s was the first decade where people interacted with digital technology on a day-to-day basis, even if most people didn't have a computer.

Subject: Re: Are the '80s Partially 21st Century?

Written By: ADH13 on 07/04/06 at 4:09 pm

No.

Do you need a calendar?? ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/04/06 at 5:58 pm

Yeah...and they're definitely neo-21st century in terms of the general ways of thought and lifestyle, and pop culture. I think 1980-2020 will be seen as sort of one "late 20th/early 21st" century yuppie era in the future...the '80s sort of started today's mindset (the corporatization, yuppification, conservativism and classism in politics, religious revivalism, terrorism, etc.)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/04/06 at 7:12 pm

The 80s were the last decade in which the 21st century didn't suck.

(In the 90s, we knew it wouldn't kick as much ass as we'd hoped, because even the dot-com bubble couldn't give us the flying cars and routine spaceflight we'd hoped we'd get.  And  the past 6 years kinda speak for themselves.  Other than a somewhat decent climate for investing, the decade has little to redeem itself.  We've clearly jumped the shark.)

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/05/06 at 12:25 pm

Yeah...and they're definitely neo-21st century in terms of the general ways of thought and lifestyle, and pop culture. I think 1980-2020 will be seen as sort of one "late 20th/early 21st" century yuppie era in the future...the '80s sort of started today's mindset (the corporatization, yuppification, conservativism and classism in politics, religious revivalism, terrorism, etc.)

Yeah, the 80s were the 00s without the Post-modernism...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 5:48 pm

I relate the '80s closer to decades prior to them as the '80s were far more diffrent than the '90s, which still has an impact on us today.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/05/06 at 6:30 pm

I relate the '80s closer to decades prior to them as the '80s were far more diffrent than the '90s, which still has an impact on us today.

I think, overall, the '80s were far closer to the '90s than to the '70s, in terms of technology, ways of thinking, business landscape, political thought, and even popular culture (not all of it, but most of it is sort of within the same syntax as today.)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/05/06 at 7:31 pm

You were born in 1982 though ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/05/06 at 7:41 pm

You were born in 1982 though ;)

I think I know that.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/06 at 3:13 am

Yeah, the "everyday life" type things have been relatively unchanged (just slightly modified) since 1982ish, heck, even since the early '70s on a large scale. I'm talking about things like common slang; atmosphere of high schools, workplaces, etc; the basic way the world lives and even the overall form of pop culture.

For instance, there's alot of stations (the "Today's Hits Yesterday's Favorites" ones) which play 80s-modern day music, and even though of course there's differences, hearing "What's Love Got to Do With It" or "Missing You" by John Waite right next to "Bad Day" or a Maroon 5 song, it doesn't sound like an entirely different animal. Whereas Elvis next to '70s music, or "Baby Love" next to '80s music would have sounded grossly dated/different when it was coming out.

Same with movies like The Breakfast Club, which, while little things have changed obviously, are still on the general level, very relevant and relatable today.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/07/06 at 3:37 am

Yeah, the "everyday life" type things have been relatively unchanged (just slightly modified) since 1982ish, heck, even since the early '70s on a large scale. I'm talking about things like common slang; atmosphere of high schools, workplaces, etc; the basic way the world lives and even the overall form of pop culture.

For instance, there's alot of stations (the "Today's Hits Yesterday's Favorites" ones) which play 80s-modern day music, and even though of course there's differences, hearing "What's Love Got to Do With It" or "Missing You" by John Waite right next to "Bad Day" or a Maroon 5 song, it doesn't sound like an entirely different animal. Whereas Elvis next to '70s music, or "Baby Love" next to '80s music would have sounded grossly dated/different when it was coming out.

Same with movies like The Breakfast Club, which, while little things have changed obviously, are still on the general level, very relevant and relatable today.

Hmmm, I'm not really sure about your elocution that 50s music sounding grossly dated in the 1970s - alot of 70s artists like The Bay City Rollers, Bobby Blue.etc, sounded like the Everly Brothers, Eddy Duane.etc. 80s music and fashions seem extremely dated to most teens and pre-teens today, and no one can deny the sheer extent of the 80s/00s division in all areas of life. I did say the 80s were the 00s without the post-modernism - but that was a little tongue-in-cheek. On closer inspection, it is apparent the 00s and 80s share many fundamental differences in the political, economic and cultural spheres. We all like to draw parallels between eras - Reagenism and Bush, Economic prosperity - but the fact is we're often only seeing what we want to see.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/06 at 3:43 am

Hmmm, I'm not really sure about your elocution that 50s music sounding grossly dated in the 1970s - alot of 70s artists like The Bay City Rollers, Bobby Blue.etc, sounded like the Everly Brothers, Eddy Duane.etc. 80s music and fashions seem extremely dated to most teens and pre-teens today, and no one can deny the sheer extent of the 80s/00s division in all areas of life. I did say the 80s were the 00s without the post-modernism - but that was a little tongue-in-cheek. On closer inspection, it is apparent the 00s and 80s share many fundamental differences in the political, economic and cultural spheres. We all like to draw parallels between eras - Reagenism and Bush, Economic prosperity - but the fact is we're often only seeing what we want to see.

I'm not saying the '80s aren't dated (they were noticeably dated in 1994 let alone now ;) ), I'm saying they're not old dated the way the '50s, 60s and to a small extent, some areas of the '70s are.

There was alot of "50ish" music in the '70s and actually, the '80s too (e.g. Billy Joel's Innocent Man album, The Stray Cats, Huey Lewis; and guys like Hall and Oates were a 50s/60s retro mix, of course combined with a strong '80s sound too). But it was a "new 50s". A 1975 interpretation of the '50s is going to sound more modern than a song actually from 1958 (similarities sure, but still it'll sound of its actual time too).

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/07/06 at 3:47 am

I'm not saying the '80s aren't dated (they were noticeably dated in 1994 let alone now ;) ), I'm saying they're not old dated the way the '50s, 60s and to a small extent, some areas of the '70s are.

There was alot of "50ish" music in the '70s and actually, the '80s too (e.g. Billy Joel's Innocent Man album, The Stray Cats, Huey Lewis; and guys like Hall and Oates were a 50s/60s retro mix, of course combined with a strong '80s sound too). But it was a "new 50s". A 1975 interpretation of the '50s is going to sound more modern than a song actually from 1958 (similarities sure, but still it'll sound of its actual time too).

I personally perceive the 80s as a 'seperate' era from the 00s - they just seem so different. They are the last of the overtly 'retro' decades - almost like a museum piece. I think the 90s are the last decade which are basically in the same 'bloc' as the 00s, despite the fact the 90s are still more like the 80s than this decade.

Check for new replies or respond here...