inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Roseanne being 80s

Written By: Brendan McClelland on 07/04/06 at 3:54 pm

Does Roseanne count as an 80s show?

Subject: Re: Roseanne being 80s

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/04/06 at 6:01 pm

It's sort of '80s-'90s borderline, though overall I'd say it's a "'90s show." It fits in with the trend of working-class/"real family life" sitcoms and stand up comics getting shows, and the general humor and behavior of the characters, particularly in the 1990+ seasons, is quite '90s. The 1989ish episodes I've seen of it have lines like "Come on, think for the '90s!", and there's a c. 1991 episode where they finally get a VCR and say "Man, the Conners are just hopping into the '80s!" sarcastically. It sort of screams 1992, like Singles or grunge music or "Finally." Overall, it's an early '90s show.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/05/06 at 12:56 am

It's sort of '80s-'90s borderline, though overall I'd say it's a "'90s show." It fits in with the trend of working-class/"real family life" sitcoms and stand up comics getting shows, and the general humor and behavior of the characters, particularly in the 1990+ seasons, is quite '90s. The 1989ish episodes I've seen of it have lines like "Come on, think for the '90s!", and there's a c. 1991 episode where they finally get a VCR and say "Man, the Conners are just hopping into the '80s!" sarcastically. It sort of screams 1992, like Singles or grunge music or "Finally." Overall, it's an early '90s show.

Yeah, some of the early episode have an '80s vibe to them for sure, but the later episodes are very '90s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/06/06 at 3:14 pm

'90s show.

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/06/06 at 3:26 pm

At first I thought the topic was going to be about the actress herself, which I would have said yes.  Her show started in the '80s and she also starred in one of my favorite movies from 1989, She-Devil. 

But the show itself?  Hmmm, early '90s. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 3:28 pm

'90s show.

It's quite early '90s...much like Married...with Children or the classic Seinfeld and The Simpsons. Say, Frasier and Friends seem more mid-late '90s. Roseanne really hit its peak around 1991-1993, when Tom Arnold and Sandra Bernhard were regulars. I was watching it last night and there was even a reference to the recession, with all the characters being laid off and losing their jobs.

Check for new replies or respond here...