inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pet Shop Boys

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/06/06 at 7:20 am

PET SHOP BOYS

http://egoism.ru/images/1008.jpg

Pet Shop Boys are an English electronic/pop music duo, consisting of Neil Tennant (b. 10 July 1954) who provides main vocals, keyboards and very occasionally guitar, and Chris Lowe (b. 4 October 1959) on keyboards and occasionally on vocals.

The longevity of their career is generally attributed to their ability to create melodic pop/dance music with intelligent lyrics and striking style. They are one of the most consistently successful duos in pop music, particularly in Europe. Since 1986, they have had 38 top 40 singles in the UK including four number ones: "West End girls", "It's A Sin", "Always on my mind" and "Heart". Their popularity is still prevalent through their very active and devoted fan base.

Their latest album, Fundamental, was released on the Parlophone label on 22 May 2006. The album so far has charted at number five in the UK and at number two in Europe-wide sales, marking a strong return to the charts. The album's first single, "I'm with Stupid" was released in the UK on 8 May 2006, reaching number eight in the UK Singles Chart. The second single to be taken from Fundamental will be "Minimal", which received its first UK play on BBC Radio 1 on 19 May, and will be released on 24 July, 2006.

Music

Neil Tennant has consistently and sincerely labelled the Pet Shop Boys' music as "disco". Their music's trademark sound is a combination of pure synthesised pop (which could qualify them as a New Wave group), with sometimes slightly over-the-top instrumentation, contrasting with Tennant's laconic vocals, sometimes spoken-word or rap. Despite a history of implementing current musical trends from the underground (house, electro, jungle, techno etc.) into their productions, they have always maintained their own specific and defined sound. Their lyrics (mainly written by Tennant) have been described as articulate, stylish and poetic. Among their musical trademarks is the combining of pop hooks with detailed chord structures and soundscapes.

One of the most frequent labels attached to the band is that of "ironists", referring to instances where their lyrics are used to exhibit veiled meanings or criticisms

Subject: Re: Pet Shop Boys

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/06 at 1:26 pm

I included peak chart positions in your post :)

I've always loved the Pet Shop Boys.  "Very" and "Bilingual" are my two favourite CD's from them.  The latter has a great album track called "Up Against It" that features a guest performance from Johnny Marr.  I love it 8)

I thought their best song was "Miracles" from their "PopART" Greatest Hits Collection.  I saw them perform it on Top of the Pops, and it was wonderful :)

Written By: woops on 07/06/06 at 1:53 pm

I like "West End Girls", "Opportunities", "It's A Sin", and "What Have I Done To Deserve This"
:)

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 1:57 pm

'West End Girls' actually dates back to 1984 when they recorded it with production by Bobby Orlando (in some circles, it's known as the 'Bobby O version')

It had some success in nightclubs, but it sounds a little amateurish and 'weedy' compared to the 1985 version...

They signed to EMI in 1985 and released 'Opportunities' first of all, which again died a death...

So it was back to the drawing board with 'West End Girls' with Steve Hague producing the definitive version which set them off on their illustrious career...

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/06 at 2:07 pm

'West End Girls' actually dates back to 1984 when they recorded it with production by Bobby Orlando (in some circles, it's known as the 'Bobby O version')

It had some success in nightclubs, but it sounds a little amateurish and 'weedy' compared to the 1985 version...

They signed to EMI in 1985 and released 'Opportunities' first of all, which again died a death...

So it was back to the drawing board with 'West End Girls' with Steve Hague producing the definitive version which set them off on their illustrious career...

The '84 version really sounds odd compared to the 85/86 version.  It's a good thing they decided to re-release it. 

Written By: Paul on 07/06/06 at 2:12 pm

The '84 version really sounds odd compared to the 85/86 version.  It's a good thing they decided to re-release it. 

Not so much a re-release, Jason...more of a complete remake!

I don't know whether the duo are embarrassed by it, but they've been trying to prise the rights from Bobby Orlando for many, many years...

MTA...for the record, it reached the nose-bleeding heights of #121 in the UK in '84!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 6:15 pm

I love the Pet Shop Boys, they're my favorite dance music group and they combine "irresistable beats" (to use a cliche catchphrase) with excellent lyrics. Some of my favorite songs by them are "Heart", "Love Comes Quickly", "West End Girls", "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" (definitely in my top 25 of all time), "Being Boring", and "Left To My Own Devices." Also, they're my favorite music video artist of the '80s..."Heart", "Rent", "West End Girls", "What Have I Done To Deserve This?" are amazing. My favorite is definitely "Heart", with the Hammer Horror movie parody, particularly because I'm a vampire and horror movie aficionado.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/06/06 at 8:29 pm

There's also a 1986 remix of "West End Girls" that incorportates "Theme For The Pet Shop Boys" and is produced by Bobby O.  I'll have to dig that one out and spin it on my next show.  :)  I prefer the Bobby O versions to the original - I heard the original version before the '85 redux.

Shep Pettibone's remix of "Opportunities" is probably one of the best PSB mixes IMO.

Other faves include:

"It's A Sin"
"A Man Could Get Arrested"
"Love Comes Quickly"
"Left To My Own Devices" (this one grew on me)
"Heart"
"Where The Streets Have No Name/Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"
"Being Boring"
"Can You Forgive Her?" (Rollo Mix)
"I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind Of Thing"
"Yesterday When I Was Mad"

I snagged a remix of "I'm With Stupid" that samples DM's "Behind The Wheel" that sounds pretty tight.  It's kind of dubb-y but I like it.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/06 at 8:57 pm

Shep Pettibone's remix of "Opportunities" is probably one of the best PSB mixes IMO.

The Pettibone remix of that is awesome.  I have the 12" Cassette single of "Opportunities" and I love it 8)

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/06 at 7:05 pm

I just bought Fundamental and I love it 8)

Written By: ADH13 on 07/08/06 at 7:46 pm

I like most Pet Shop Boys songs I've heard, but my favorite is "Suburbia" and the one I don't like at all is "Domino Dancing".

Check for new replies or respond here...