inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite guitar solos in non-rock/metal songs ie. only pop, dance

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/06/06 at 3:35 pm

I love rock and '80s heavy metal specifically guitar solos and for the most part, during that decade, every hard-rockin metal band had at least one per song (nowadays, forget it).  But I got to thinking of other types of music that didn't usually feature guitar solos, you know, the more synthetic, pop and dance-based stuff (which by the way did often feature guitars, just not solos and they were often muted under the drum machine beats and keyboards.)

Alisha - Baby Talk.  Dance/freestyle classic from the mid-80s, absolutely my all-time favorite guitar solo mid-way through the song. 

A Split Second - Mambo Witch.  Industrial-dance number from the late '80s, another very memorable, sweet guiatar solo.

Also, while I'm at it, I love the guitar riffs in Madonna's "Burning Up" and Debbie Gibson's "Electric Youth." 

Subject: Re: Favorite guitar solos in non-rock/metal songs ie. only pop, dance

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 07/06/06 at 3:37 pm

Deborah Gibson's "Electric Youth."   

;)

Though I llike the riff from "We Could Be Together"

Written By: Tia on 07/06/06 at 3:39 pm

we were just talking about the cars and ric ocasek. does that count? definitely just what i needed and shake em up are class A guitar solos.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/06/06 at 3:48 pm

Black Cat.....Janet Jackson

Prince usually has great guitar solo's in his songs.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/06/06 at 8:20 pm

A Split Second - Mambo Witch.  Industrial-dance number from the late '80s, another very memorable, sweet guiatar solo.

Neat idea for a thread. 

I'm a big Split Second fan, but no list of 80s pop/dance "guitar" awards would be complete without just about everything Sigue Sigue Sputnik ever wrote on 1986's "Flaunt it", and 1989's "Dress for Excess" albums.

www.sputnikworld.com

Sputnik has kept up with synthy guitar-based wackiness -- 2001's "Piratespace" and 2002's "Blak Elvis" are as comfortable on a dance/techno floor in the 2000s as they would have been in the 80s.  The sound is up to date, but unmistakably Sputnik.

If I can sneak in a 1990 track or two, I'll go with the Sisters of Mercy's "Vision Thing".  I claim exemption from a strict 1980-1989 rule on the grounds that the bass guitarist in question was none other than Sputnik's Tony James.

And if we're allowing sampled guitars, I'm going to have to include the guitar riff from Slayer's "Angel of Death" that's been featured in everything from Public Enemy's "She Watch Channel Zero" (1988) to KMFDM's "Godlike" (1990), to obscure German act "Some More Crime" (aka A.C. Leuchter)'s "10.6.5", off their "Another Domestic Drama in a Suburban Hell" (1993) album.  Rap, old-school industrial, newer-school industrial.  And as long as we're talking KFMDM, we might as well mention Sigue Sigue Sputnik's 2001 cover of KFMDM's 1989 hit "Virus". 

Which is a long and roundabout way of saying that just about all roads to 80s non-metallic guitar lead to, or through, Sputnik.

Written By: Tia on 07/06/06 at 8:29 pm

Black Cat.....Janet Jackson

Prince usaually has great guitar solo's in his songs.
i was obsessed with that distortion/phaser shred prince does at the end of 1999. one of the things that came out when i was really young and first starting to play that inspired me to keep with it.

Written By: Tia on 07/06/06 at 8:37 pm

downloading some sputnik now!

there is also, of course, the solo from thriller. i mention that mostly to get it out of the way, eddie van being pretty reliable in the solo department.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/06 at 8:55 pm

"The Night Owls" by Little River Band
"Take A Chance With Me" by Roxy Music
"That's When I Think of You" by 1927
"The More You Live, The More You Love" by Flock of Seagulls

Not that it was planned, but the 4 songs I just mentioned all begin with the letter T :D

Written By: SpaceHog on 07/06/06 at 9:25 pm

"The More You Live, The More You Love" by Flock of Seagulls

Listening to that right now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/06 at 3:05 am

Yeah, the '80s had guitar solos in almost every song ( :) ), I really think that enhanced the feel of it, especially "non-hard rock" songs and made the genres kinda blend more with each other.

Offhand, I like:

Beat It
All Right - Christopher Cross (I really like this song, so maybe I'm biased)
Easy Lover - Phil Collins
Heart and Soul - Huey Lewis
Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry
several Corey Hart songs
On the Darkside - John Cafferty
Magic - The Cars
I Can Dream About You - Phil Hartman
Running With the Night - Lionel Richie (this was sort of a "Beat It" influence, I think)

I guess those are sorta "arena rocky" solos.

Written By: woops on 07/07/06 at 8:39 pm

The guitar riff from INXS "Need You Tonight" was good

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/08/06 at 2:19 pm

Neat idea for a thread. 

I'm a big Split Second fan, but no list of 80s pop/dance "guitar" awards would be complete without just about everything Sigue Sigue Sputnik ever wrote on 1986's "Flaunt it", and 1989's "Dress for Excess" albums.

www.sputnikworld.com

Sputnik has kept up with synthy guitar-based wackiness -- 2001's "Piratespace" and 2002's "Blak Elvis" are as comfortable on a dance/techno floor in the 2000s as they would have been in the 80s.  The sound is up to date, but unmistakably Sputnik.

If I can sneak in a 1990 track or two, I'll go with the Sisters of Mercy's "Vision Thing".  I claim exemption from a strict 1980-1989 rule on the grounds that the bass guitarist in question was none other than Sputnik's Tony James.

And if we're allowing sampled guitars, I'm going to have to include the guitar riff from Slayer's "Angel of Death" that's been featured in everything from Public Enemy's "She Watch Channel Zero" (1988) to KMFDM's "Godlike" (1990), to obscure German act "Some More Crime" (aka A.C. Leuchter)'s "10.6.5", off their "Another Domestic Drama in a Suburban Hell" (1993) album.  Rap, old-school industrial, newer-school industrial.   And as long as we're talking KFMDM, we might as well mention Sigue Sigue Sputnik's 2001 cover of KFMDM's 1989 hit "Virus". 

Which is a long and roundabout way of saying that just about all roads to 80s non-metallic guitar lead to, or through, Sputnik.

Nice post, man.  Very informative  ;)

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/08/06 at 5:59 pm

Here's a few:

"Point Of No Return" (1987 remix) - Expos

Written By: KKay on 07/08/06 at 6:35 pm

I got it.

My Sharona- The Knack

Check for new replies or respond here...