inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where Do Duran Duran Fit In?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/06/06 at 3:39 pm

What bands are most like Duran Duran? They're seen as THE new wave band by many people, but not many bands sound like them.  I'd say they're closest in style to Wham, Culture Club, Talk Talk and Spandau Ballet. They're more "pop" than most new wave bands, but they're more rock at the same time.

Subject: Re: Where Do Duran Duran Fit In?

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/06/06 at 3:47 pm

Arcadia  ;)

But seriously, I've always thought ABC (earlier stuff) and Talk Talk (again, earlier stuff) were a lot like Duran Duran.  And then, even those bands early output are only similar to early Duran Duran, 'cause they went through a major musical overhaul as well. 

Ooh, I just thought of another.  The relatively obscure Australian band Pseudo Echo echoed Duran Duran a lot on their debut album.  They turned more dance and Top 40 pop based on their subsequent release but on their '84 debut, they really rivaled D2 in the catchy synth-rock department. 

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/06/06 at 6:12 pm

What bands are most like Duran Duran? They're seen as THE new wave band by many people, but not many bands sound like them.  I'd say they're closest in style to Wham, Culture Club, Talk Talk and Spandau Ballet. They're more "pop" than most new wave bands, but they're more rock at the same time.

They're not all that similar to Culture Club. They're sort of like Haysee Fantayzee, Blancmange, and a poppier ABC or Human League.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/06 at 5:48 am

They're not all that similar to Culture Club. They're sort of like Haysee Fantayzee, Blancmange, and a poppier ABC or Human League.

Do you think they had any influence on the "teenpop" of the 1987-90/'91 time frame (Debbie Gibson, NKOTB, Richard Marx, etc)? They had slightly more of an edge, depth to their songwriting and a rockier sound at times, but their appeal and look was kinda teen poppish.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/07/06 at 10:34 am

Do you think they had any influence on the "teenpop" of the 1987-90/'91 time frame (Debbie Gibson, NKOTB, Richard Marx, etc)? They had slightly more of an edge, depth to their songwriting and a rockier sound at times, but their appeal and look was kinda teen poppish.

Yeah, they influenced them pretty heavily I think, with the combination of teen poppish appeal and sex appeal.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/08/06 at 1:48 pm

I've always thought D2 was closest in style and early sounds of the group Japan.  I'd say they fit in there with Japan's "Quiet Life" album, as well as Roxy Music, Spandau Ballet and Adam Ant.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/08/06 at 2:39 pm

I've always thought D2 was closest in style and early sounds of the group Japan.  I'd say they fit in there with Japan's "Quiet Life" album, as well as Roxy Music, Spandau Ballet and Adam Ant.

Yeah, they're Spandau Ballet-esque...but Adam Ant had a much more punkish, "rebel" image.

Check for new replies or respond here...