inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What did people think of "late album" singles before they were singles?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/07/06 at 3:35 am

Just a second ago, in talking about Michael Jackson, I realized Thriller (the album) came out in December 1982, although the single "Thriller" (of course, followed by its famous video, which was a groundbreaking mini movie that changed the face of MTV forever) didn't get released until early '84.

During that over a year period, I wonder what people thought of it (i.e. "Dude, that song is killer, I'd love to hear it on the radio", or "Barf me ouuttttt! Put on Billie Jean again!" ;D ).

Other late album singles that come to mind are "Keeping the Faith" by Billy Joel, "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen and "Think of Laura" by Christopher Cross (this one got to be a hit after it was used on General Hospital).

Subject: Re: What did people think of "late album" singles before they were singles?

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/07/06 at 10:37 am

Just a second ago, in talking about Michael Jackson, I realized Thriller (the album) came out in December 1982, although the single "Thriller" (of course, followed by its famous video, which was a groundbreaking mini movie that changed the face of MTV forever) didn't get released until early '84.

During that over a year period, I wonder what people thought of it (i.e. "Dude, that song is killer, I'd love to hear it on the radio", or "Barf me ouuttttt! Put on Billie Jean again!" ;D ).

Other late album singles that come to mind are "Keeping the Faith" by Billy Joel, "Glory Days" by Bruce Springsteen and "Think of Laura" by Christopher Cross (this one got to be a hit after it was used on General Hospital).

Alot of albums had like, 5 singles back then out of 10 tracks...particularly chart monsters like Purple Rain, Thriller, Like a Prayer, etc. Though, traditionally, the tracks do worse the later they get released. Like while "When Doves Cry" and "Let's Go Crazy" reached #1 for several weeks each (and the former was the biggest single of 1984, a very musically crowded year), "Purple Rain" reached #2, "I Would Die 4 U" reached #8, and "Take Me With U" reached #25 (all of this is in the US.)

Check for new replies or respond here...