inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite 80s Covers...

Written By: Criz on 07/08/06 at 4:59 am

For a lot of us, covers of many 80s songs can never compare to the originals. However, I know there are a few good ones out there. I recently bought an issue of Q magazine that had a free 80s covers CD - and I was quite impressed by a few of the tracks. My favs were:

- Boy Kill Boy - It's Different For Girls ( Joe Jackson cover - sounds quite similar to the original, and even though I love Joe's version, it's a pretty good cover imo)

- Orson - I Can't Go For That (Updated it, and I think Ilike it more than the Hall and Oats original!)

Aside from the CD, I think the best cover of a classic 80s song is Eva Cassidy's version of Cyndi Lauper's 'Time After TIme' - Eva's voice is so pure, so beautiful, and the guitar work is amazing-reminiscent of Johnny Marr's work I think. Definitly worth a listen if you haven't heard it.

So what are the best 80s covers you've all heard?

Subject: Re: Favourite 80s Covers...

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/06 at 12:44 pm

"Stand Back" by Linus Loves <2003>  (Originally by Stevie Nicks in 1983)

"Ai No Corrida" by Uniting Nations <2005>  (Originally by Quincy Jones in 1981)

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/08/06 at 1:58 pm

How about covers of '80s songs done by '80s artists during the '80s?

Abba did "Lay All Your Love" on me in the early '80s and it was redone by Information Society later in the decade.

Martika and Eighth Wonder both recorded the song "Cross My Heart," but I'm not sure who recorded it first or if it even counts, since they may have both been given the song around the same time ('88 I think).

Finally, Fire on Blonde released the dance song "Bounce Back" in the late '80s, it was re-done by Alisha in 1990 ('90s, I know, but close enough)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/08/06 at 2:42 pm

I love alot of Tori Amos covers: "Lovesong" by the Cure, "Purple Rain", and "Like a Prayer" are some songs that she's covered.

Check for new replies or respond here...