inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thrash?

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/09/06 at 11:51 am

Any thrash metal fans here?  Tough, aggressive, fast, sweaty, beer-drinking, fist-fighting heavy metal. Favorites of mine would include Metallica, Anthrax, Heathen, Death Angel, Vio-lence, Exodus, Paradox, Toxik, Watchtower, Dark Angel, Annihilator, Rigor Mortis, Flotsam and Jetsam, Nasty Savage, Blind Illusion, Nuclear Assault and Testament.   

Subject: Re: Thrash?

Written By: Tia on 07/09/06 at 12:04 pm

no one here by that description!

actually, you and davey thrashmister should get along. we just went to a crazy metal show in london. where i saw a band from washingotn d.c. where i live.

where do you fall on the age-old death angel vs. dark angel controversy? and is angel of death thrash or death metal? there is only one correct answer.

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/09/06 at 12:30 pm

I like Death and Dark Angel the same.  On their debuts and best records, one is melodic and accessible; the other noisy and aggressive.  One softened their sound by their third album turning into an early '90s alternative-metal band; the other softened their sound by wanting to resemble "...And Justice For All" Metallica by their third album.   

I believe "Angel of Death" to be thrash/proto-death metal.  Very similar to the stuff being done at the time by the likes of Possessed, Hallow's Eve, Kreator, Infernal Majesty, Dark Angel, Blood Feast, Sadus and Sepultura.  With the exception of Possessed, who were definitely a death metal band at one point(they later morphed into an extreme thrash metal band on their subsequent record and "Eyes of Horror" EP), the other bands are all thrash with definite leanings toward what would eventually be known as "death metal."  They are much more extreme than Megadeth and Metallica but not quite up there with Autopsy, Massacre, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse or Repulsion.

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/06 at 3:13 pm

I like Death and Dark Angel the same.  On their debuts and best records, one is melodic and accessible; the other noisy and aggressive.  One softened their sound by their third album turning into an early '90s alternative-metal band; the other softened their sound by wanting to resemble "...And Justice For All" Metallica by their third album.   

I believe "Angel of Death" to be thrash/proto-death metal.  Very similar to the stuff being done at the time by the likes of Possessed, Hallow's Eve, Kreator, Infernal Majesty, Dark Angel, Blood Feast, Sadus and Sepultura.  With the exception of Possessed, who were definitely a death metal band at one point(they later morphed into an extreme thrash metal band on their subsequent record and "Eyes of Horror" EP), the other bands are all thrash with definite leanings toward what would eventually be known as "death metal."  They are much more extreme than Megadeth and Metallica but not quite up there with Autopsy, Massacre, Pestilence, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse or Repulsion.

Mike.. this guy knows his sh.it.

I said very much the same, Angel of Death was the song that kind of bridged the gap.

Written By: La Roche on 07/09/06 at 3:14 pm

Any thrash metal fans here?  Tough, aggressive, fast, sweaty, beer-drinking, fist-fighting heavy metal. Favorites of mine would include Metallica, Anthrax, Heathen, Death Angel, Vio-lence, Exodus, Paradox, Toxik, Watchtower, Dark Angel, Annihilator, Rigor Mortis, Flotsam and Jetsam, Nasty Savage, Blind Illusion, Nuclear Assault and Testament.   

You have exceptionally good taste.
BUT!

Mustaine is gonna feel left out.  ;)

Written By: Erick on 07/25/06 at 7:08 pm

I'm also into thrash metal. I like bands like slayer, anthrax, overkill, whiplash, blood feast, sacrifice, razor, slaughter (not the gay glam stuff), exodus, vio-lence, forbidden, death angel, testament, nuclear assault, dark angel, old metallica, megadeth, old sepultura, sodom, kreator, destruction, assassin, darkness, coroner, tankard, sadus (thrash/death), agent steel power/speed), anacrusis, flotsam and jetsam, sabbat, onslaught, artillery, rigor mortis, etc. I am a big fan of thrash metal and have been in the last 3 years when I first heard slayer's reign in blood. Thrash metal is returning!

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/25/06 at 9:43 pm

Good to see another fan.  Like Whiplash, Coroner and Anacrusis a lot.  And Voivod which neither of us mentioned.

How about these seldom brought up bands - Atrophy, Holy Terror, Wargasm (still trying to nab their debut CD which costs a pretty penny!), Xentrix, Evil Dead, DRI, Forced Entry?

Written By: La Roche on 07/31/06 at 8:59 am

Good to see another fan.  Like Whiplash, Coroner and Anacrusis a lot.  And Voivod which neither of us mentioned.

How about these seldom brought up bands - Atrophy, Holy Terror, Wargasm (still trying to nab their debut CD which costs a pretty penny!), Xentrix, Evil Dead, DRI, Forced Entry?

Wargasm are a kick ass band.. I've not heard much of their music but I'd love to get more.

How did everyone overlook Voivod!

Written By: chaka on 07/31/06 at 9:27 am

Wargasm are a kick ass band.. I've not heard much of their music but I'd love to get more.

I only know a song called Wargasm by L7...thrash isn't really my domain I'm afraid.

Written By: Tia on 07/31/06 at 9:29 am

i happen to know for a fact chaka is a total corduroy fanatic. she'd go to the ends of the earth for 'em.

Written By: chaka on 07/31/06 at 9:31 am

i happen to know for a fact chaka is a total corduroy fanatic. she'd go to the ends of the earth for 'em.

yeah,trouble is I still haven't heard em yet D=
I better start downloading some stuff..FAST!

Written By: dr mabuse on 07/31/06 at 5:46 pm

How did everyone overlook Voivod!

"Wasteland" and "Revenge" off their debut are great songs....indeed... I would like to hear more, if only I could find the CD for a reasonable price.  I already spent $80 on Blind Illusion's sole album/CD. 

Written By: La Roche on 08/01/06 at 2:36 pm

"Wasteland" and "Revenge" off their debut are great songs....indeed... I would like to hear more, if only I could find the CD for a reasonable price.  I already spent $80 on Blind Illusion's sole album/CD. 

Dang!

I just find it hard to warrant spending that much on a CD.

Written By: dr mabuse on 08/01/06 at 3:26 pm

I'm also into thrash metal. I like bands like slayer, anthrax, overkill, whiplash, blood feast, sacrifice, razor, slaughter (not the gay glam stuff), exodus, vio-lence, forbidden, death angel, testament, nuclear assault, dark angel, old metallica, megadeth, old sepultura, sodom, kreator, destruction, assassin, darkness, coroner, tankard, sadus (thrash/death), agent steel power/speed), anacrusis, flotsam and jetsam, sabbat, onslaught, artillery, rigor mortis, etc. I am a big fan of thrash metal and have been in the last 3 years when I first heard slayer's reign in blood. Thrash metal is returning!

Sabbat and Artillery... those are 2 fairly obscure bands whose CD's are very hard-to-find, especially Sabbat.  I'm actually listening to the Artillery song "Khomaniac" right now.  Amazing epic song. 

As for spending a lot on a CD - if it's highly sought-after and long out-of-print (and actually GOOD), I'll spend any amount of money on it.  Well, almost.  I don't plan on spending the $200+ that The Accused's "Return of Martha Splatterhead" goes for.  One of the rarest CD's I've never came across. 

Check for new replies or respond here...