inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kon Kan

Written By: whistledog on 07/10/06 at 9:05 pm

Kon Kan were a dance music duo from Canada who rose to fame in the late 80s

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/godeltsihw/konkan.jpg

-- BIOGRAPHY --

Kon Kan was a Canadian duo of Barry Harris (vocals, keyboard, guitar) and Kevin Wynne (vocals) formed in the late 1980s in Toronto, Ontario.  The band's name is a parody on the Canadian content regulation, which mandates that thirty per cent of songs played on commercial radio stations in Canada must be Canadian in origin.

Their debut album, Move to Move (1989), produced the international hit single "I Beg Your Pardon", which sampled Lynn Anderson's "(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden".  From the same album, they returned to the charts with another original/cover combination, "Puss N' Boots/These Boots (Are Made For Walkin')". The track included samples of Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song" and Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'". Another single, "Harry Houdini", failed to chart in America, but scored a Top 40 placing in Canada.

Wynne, who sang on all but two tracks from Move to Move, left in 1989, while Harris released two more albums under the band's original name.  Also in 1993, he helped out Kim Esty who previously provided the female vocals for "I Beg Your Pardon" by co-producing several supporting 12" dance mixes of "Funky Little Beat". With recent chart successes with Top Kat (Moonshine), Outta Control (Interhit), Thunderpuss 2000 (Priority), and Killer Bunnies (Universal); Barry Harris has proven to be a multi-talented dance music producer, remixer, and artist.

His own "Why'd Ya Let Her" is the 1998 follow-up to last years Billboard Top 40 Dance Chart hit "Funk Like Dat," which set dance floors on fire in the Spring of 1997. Since departing, Kevin Wynne has gotten more involved with the business side of the music business in production, publishing, licensing and distribution. Wynne currently owns and operates CD-Rep.com

-- ALBUMS --

Year 1988 1990 1993

Album Title Move to Move Syntonic Vida!

-- HIT SINGLES --

"I Beg Your Pardon" got to #5 in the UK

Year 1988 1989 1989 1989 1990 1991 1993

Song Title I Beg Your Pardon Harry Houdini Puss 'N Boots / These Boots (Are Made For Walkin') Move to Move Liberty! (Could've Said) I Told You So Sinful Wishes

Canada #19 #38 #50 #84 #91 #72 #26

United Kingdom #5 #88 -- -- -- -- --

United States #15 -- #58 -- -- -- --

-- MUSIC VIDEOS --

Harry Houdini | I Beg Your Pardon | Liberty!

Subject: Re: Kon Kan

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/10/06 at 10:03 pm

I dig me some Kon Kan and Barry Harris.  Thunderpuss was IT in the clubs for a brief period of time.  I managed to hear Chris Cox (other half of TP) spin in the Chicago 'burbs back in 2001.  Good stuff.  8)

Written By: Paul on 07/11/06 at 3:07 pm

Yep! Just the oblgatory 'I Beg Your Pardon' is known on these shores...

...which sadly puts them in the category of 'One Hit Wonders' and (rather unfairly) a novelty-type act!

But nice to see that we did put 'em in the top five, at least!

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/06 at 3:18 pm

Yep! Just the oblgatory 'I Beg Your Pardon' is known on these shores...

...which sadly puts them in the category of 'One Hit Wonders' and (rather unfairly) a novelty-type act!

But nice to see that we did put 'em in the top five, at least!

It seemed like in the 80s, alot of Canadian acts ended up becoming one hit wonders in the UK charts ...

Echo Beach - Martha + the Muffins
Dancin' the Night Away - Voggue
The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
Living on Video - Trans-X
Shooting From My Heart - Big Bam Boo

'Echo Beach' and 'Shooting From My Heart' missed out in the American charts completely :o

Written By: Paul on 07/11/06 at 3:30 pm

It seemed like in the 80s, alot of Canadian acts ended up becoming one hit wonders in the UK charts ...

Echo Beach - Martha + the Muffins
Dancin' the Night Away - Voggue
The Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
Living on Video - Trans-X
Shooting From My Heart - Big Bam Boo

'Echo Beach' and 'Shooting From My Heart' missed out in the American charts completely :o

M&M (a truncated version of Martha & The Muffins) also got dumped in the OHW bin with 'Black Stations White Stations'...good song too!

'Echo Beach' is a bona-fide classic and remains a favourite to a lot of people of 'a certain age' to this day!

'Living On Video' almost didn't make it...I think it originally sufaced in '83/'84 but it was only due to blanket airplay by a European radio station that eventually forced it to chart here...

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/06 at 7:45 pm

M&M (a truncated version of Martha & The Muffins) also got dumped in the OHW bin with 'Black Stations White Stations'...good song too!

That is such a good song.  I've heard that in some parts of the world, radio stations wouldn't play it because of it's suggestive racial lyrics, including America, where ironically it still managed to chart

Check for new replies or respond here...