inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Analysis of the Final New Wave/Synth Pop Hits (1986)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/10/06 at 11:47 pm

"Human"-The Human League (1986, #1 US and #8 UK)-This song, which sort of fits between new wave and mid-late '80s pop balladry, is interesting in that it shows the links between the genres (along with other new wave ballads like say, "True.") It definitely fits in well with late '80s balladry.
"Bizzare Love Triangle"-New Order (1986, #4 US Hot Dance and #56 UK)-This piece is one of the most interesting parts of the transition from traditional pop new wave to dance new wave and the influence of such music on dance music in general in the late '80s and early '90s, such as Jody Watley or even Paula Abdul.  It's one of the groundbreaking examples of it...you can see the influence of its keyboard roll line even on "Finally" and other early '90s dance songs.
"Hymn to Her"-The Pretenders (1986, #8 US)-This is a beautiful "torch ballad rock" song that probably signified the rise of the power ballad and rock ballad in the late '80s...I think the instrumentation and song, while influenced by '50s and '60s pop, sounds SO classically '80s and so beautiful.
"Notorious"-Duran Duran (1986, #2 US and #7 UK)-Hmm, I think it's Duran Duran's best song, an accomplished piece of stylish dance-pop produced by Nile Rodgers that exemplifies the '80s while being modern and pointing towards the music of the late '80s and early '90s (including Madonna and B-52s hits of the period.)
"West End Girls" and "Opportunities"-(1986 re-release, #1 US and #1 UK)-A modern, dance-oriented reinvention of new wave that is more accurately disco. The stripped-down aesthetic they presented and the modern interpretation of synthesizers was a reaction towards the excesses of artists like George Michael, both in image and music. It was an important part of the new wave to club transition, and "WEG" put the rap in dance with its Grandmaster Flash inspired vocals. What more is there to say? "WEG" is one of the top ten most important singles of the 1980s.

Subject: Re: Analysis of the Final New Wave/Synth Pop Hits (1986)

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/11/06 at 9:46 pm

1986 is an interesting music year, because it bridges the new wave '80s of 1981-1985 with the hair band '80s of 1987-1991. I agree; I think the music of 1986 was a lot more '90s-like than the music of 1985, while still being '80s.

Subject: Re: Analysis of the Final New Wave/Synth Pop Hits (1986)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 10:06 pm

1986 is an interesting music year, because it bridges the new wave '80s of 1981-1985 with the hair band '80s of 1987-1991. I agree; I think the music of 1986 was a lot more '90s-like than the music of 1985, while still being '80s.

I think it sounds more modern. Also, new wave that year split into the ballads like "Hymn to Her" and " Human" and the dancey proto-electronica club music like "WEG", "Notorious", or "Bizarre Love Triangle." The new wave pop genre represented by like, Thompson Twins and Tears for Fears disappeared. "Human" could actually have been released in like 1992 if the production were slightly updated, and it falls in only barely as new wave.

Check for new replies or respond here...