inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prince

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 9:21 am

I consider Prince to be the most versatile pop musician of the 20th century. Discuss Prince and his albums, and I'll post some reviews along the way...

Subject: Re: Prince

Written By: woops on 07/11/06 at 2:51 pm

I like several songs from "Purple Rain" like the title track, "When Doves Cry", "Take Me With U", and "Let's Go Crazy".

Also other hits like "Controversy", "Little Red Corvette", "Raspberry Beret", and "U Got The Look"

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/06 at 3:02 pm

The only Prince album I ever liked was "1999", but I liked the album as a whole, not any one song in particular.  His best song ever I thought was "Cream" from 1991.  The album sleeve to "Diamonds and Pearls" was cool with the hologram 8)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/11/06 at 3:14 pm

I like Prince's music, but I wouldn't consider him the most versatile pop musician of the 20th century...(that title would go to Sir Elton John)  :)

Written By: Paul on 07/11/06 at 3:51 pm

Peaked in 84/85...downhill ever since...

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 4:08 pm

I actually think his best album was 1987's Sign O'The Times, in terms of the sophistication of the lyrics and the variety of the music.

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 5:16 pm

I like Prince's music, but I wouldn't consider him the most versatile pop musician of the 20th century...(that title would go to Sir Elton John)  :)

Oh, I like your thinking Karen  ;) 

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/11/06 at 7:33 pm

I pretty much liked everything Prince put out in the 80's, and up to The Gold Experience album.  I saw him in concert in 2004, and that show was awesome.  Favourite songs include "When Doves Cry", "17 Days", "Let's Go Crazy", "Erotic City", "Pop Life" "7" and "Now!"

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 10:23 pm

I pretty much liked everything Prince put out in the 80's, and up to The Gold Experience album.  I saw him in concert in 2004, and that show was awesome.  Favourite songs include "When Doves Cry", "17 Days", "Let's Go Crazy", "Erotic City", "Pop Life" "7" and "Now!"

"Pop Life" is one of my favorite Prince songs...some others have to be: "Little Red Corvette", "Uptown", "Controversy", "I Wanna Be Your Lover", "If I Was Your Girlfriend", "Sign O' The Times", "Forever In My Life", "Kiss", "I Would Die 4 U", "When Doves Cry", "Cream", "Let's Pretend We're Married."

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/12/06 at 2:16 pm

Oh, I like your thinking Karen  ;) 

Thanks, Rhonda!  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/08 at 10:50 pm

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Little Red Corvette! Best song ever!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/26/08 at 3:21 pm

I'm all over the place when it comes to Prince. I love his pre-Purple Rain albums like Dirty Mind and the self titled Prince album. I also love the music from his "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince" period. There's just to muchb of his music I like, I can't really pin down a single song or album, I just really like his music, I have 20 of his cds and like everything.

Plus, he's really cute.  ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/28/08 at 3:55 pm

Prince, despite his earlier success with Purple Rain, is still a very underrated musician.

His best work, IMO, is the albums Dirty Mind/Controversy, and his music from that era.

Just for the groundbreaking sound and direction those albums were going at the time. His later albums and work just elaborated and expanded on these so to speak.

Those two albums gave us an example of what he could do and what he was capable of. Neither one could of been called mainstream at the time (early 80's) or following any/anyone's trend, he set out on his own, especially with Controversy.

I was always surprised that Prince got so much crap for the sexual theme of "Darling Nikki" on Purple Rain, when any number of tracks on both Dirty Mind and Controversy albums would make that song seem soo tame in comparison...funny that those two albums are almost forgotten considering the influence that sound and his mixing/producing values on Dirty Mind/Controversy had on pop an hip-hop as it emerged later on in the decade...

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/28/08 at 8:07 pm

I love a lot of Prince's songs!  :)

I Would Die 4 U
Let's Go Crazy
Purple Rain (the song)
Raspberry Beret
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Controversy
Sexy Dancer
Pop Life
Diamonds and Pearls
Cream
The Most Beautiful Girl In the World

...and others I can't remember at the moment.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/28/08 at 9:07 pm

I don't like Pop Life actually, for some reason.  :\'(

But Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad is the JAM! The guitar solo at the end...makes my hair curl! And to hear it live...forget about it. I have a concert on dvd of Prince from 1981 playing that, it was insane how good that was. It was a cool concert, a tight, small intimate gathering. One of the best I've ever seen!

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/29/08 at 3:41 pm

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND prince.org! You can spend several days without ever leaving for all you need to know about him. You can still get audio if you use Google Video, as well!

Written By: Chasey on 12/29/08 at 6:27 pm

I consider Prince to be the most versatile pop musician of the 20th century. Discuss Prince and his albums, and I'll post some reviews along the way...

I wouldn't disagree with you.

Someone earlier compared Elton John to be the most versatile....and I'd like to know why?  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...