inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did "Born in the USA" change the course of '80s music?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/06 at 4:36 pm

I think in some ways, it really did foreshadow two things in the music scene of the later '80s (specifically 1986-mid 1991): a more "classic rock/60s influenced" feel, as well as more socially concious/serious, or politically charged themes in music.

Sure, some of the songs are very very "80s" (Cover Me, Dancing in the Dark, the title track) in that pop/dance/arena rock way, but I think it kinda sounds more like something that could've hit in 1988 more than 1984/85. I also remember him being hugely popular throughout the rest of the '80s to the point of everyone knowing who he was or knowing a few songs.

I don't think Born in the USA ever had that "Oh man, this is totally 1984!" vibe to it even though it really was, ya know?

Subject: Re: Did "Born in the USA" change the course of '80s music?

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 6:33 pm

I think in some ways, it really did foreshadow two things in the music scene of the later '80s (specifically 1986-mid 1991): a more "classic rock/60s influenced" feel, as well as more socially concious/serious, or politically themes in music.

Sure, some of the songs are very very "80s" (Cover Me, Dancing in the Dark, the title track) in that pop/dance/arena rock way, but I think it kinda sounds more like something that could've hit in 1988 more than 1984/85. I also remember him being hugely popular throughout the rest of the '80s. I don't think Born in the USA ever had that "Oh man, this is totally 1984!" vibe to it.

Yeah, I suppose it did...it was more simple, socially conscious, anti-Reaganite, anti-MTV, and anti-corporate than what had come before it. It was definitely an ahead of its time thing that didn't fit in with what was around at the time, and the first time it fit in with would've been 1987 and 1988. And it was classic rock influenced and '60s inspired. Bruce is huge here in Jersey, it being his home state.

Sorry to bring up Prince as another "1984ish" thing that did that...but I think "When Doves Cry" was the first sign of a changing course for "urban music" as a whole. It was one of the first really funky songs from the "black charts" to get big on MTV, for example.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/06 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, I suppose it did...it was more simple, socially conscious, anti-Reaganite, anti-MTV, and anti-corporate than what had come before it. It was definitely an ahead of its time thing that didn't fit in with what was around at the time, and the first time it fit in with would've been 1987 and 1988. And it was classic rock influenced and '60s inspired. Bruce is huge here in Jersey, it being his home state.

Sorry to bring up Prince as another "1984ish" thing that did that...but I think "When Doves Cry" was the first sign of a changing course for "urban music" as a whole. It was one of the first really funky songs from the "black charts" to get big on MTV, for example.

I agree with "When Doves Cry" being a point towards the more edgy/cutting edge "mainstream urban" music. Most of the songs from Black artists around then did have a huge audience, but were more tailored to the mainstream pop rock/AC crowd (Lionel Richie, some Michael Jackson, Kool and the Gang), but Prince was always a bit into stuff like funk or hard rock.

Yeah, Bruce was a classic rocker more than an '80s rocker. The title track, as many people know, was anti-Reagan anthem about a Vietnam Vet returning home unwelcomed, but he tried to use it as his re-election theme song. Even the more "innocent/fun/party" songs on the album were about people's struggles or things they went through in life (Dancing in the Dark, the poppiest song on there, is about a down and out loner not sure what to do with his life, for instance).

BTW, whenever anyone mentioned him in 1988, 1990 even, I don't recall ever hearing any "that's so old, so five years ago" comments.

There was also an early Full House episode where Jesse told DJ to go look at what was in the pocket of a coat (I think), and she was like "Alright, Springsteen tickets!" I don't think that would've worked for many other "1984" artists in '87 or '88 (imagine if she'd said that about Lionel Richie). ;D

Written By: zcrito on 07/13/06 at 10:48 pm

Early 1985 and all I heard on the radio was Bruce and Prince. One of the lowest times for radio listening in the '80s.  :(

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/14/06 at 5:57 am

I agree with "When Doves Cry" being a point towards the more edgy/cutting edge "mainstream urban" music. Most of the songs from Black artists around then did have a huge audience, but were more tailored to the mainstream pop rock/AC crowd (Lionel Richie, some Michael Jackson, Kool and the Gang), but Prince was always a bit into stuff like funk or hard rock.

Yeah, Bruce was a classic rocker more than an '80s rocker. The title track, as many people know, was anti-Reagan anthem about a Vietnam Vet returning home unwelcomed, but he tried to use it as his re-election theme song. Even the more "innocent/fun/party" songs on the album were about people's struggles or things they went through in life (Dancing in the Dark, the poppiest song on there, is about a down and out loner not sure what to do with his life, for instance).

BTW, whenever anyone mentioned him in 1988, 1990 even, I don't recall ever hearing any "that's so old, so five years ago" comments.

There was also an early Full House episode where Jesse told DJ to go look at what was in the pocket of a coat (I think), and she was like "Alright, Springsteen tickets!" I don't think that would've worked for many other "1984" artists in '87 or '88 (imagine if she'd said that about Lionel Richie). ;D

I also think it sort of influenced the themes of the later alternative rockers or alternative rockers just coming out at the time, like the Replacements, R.E.M, Sonic Youth, etc. alot of which were lyrically focused on more serious things (think "Losing My Religion" or "Teen Age Riot".)  He was also one of the first politically conscious '80s artists, which probably changed the whole direction of '80s pop-rock...starting in 1985 was the wave of politically conscious rock, as well as reflective movies about the '60s like Full Metal Jacket.

Yeah, probably the only other c. 1984 artists it would've worked for were like Madonna, Prince, Van Halen, and MJ.

Written By: Nostalgic on 07/14/06 at 12:16 pm

I don't think Born in the USA ever had that "Oh man, this is totally 1984!" vibe to it even though it really was, ya know?
To me it did.

I guess it's subjective as to whether a song had a "1984ish" vibe to it. Here are some songs which I think had this vibe:
What's love got to do with it? - Tina Turner
Private dancer - Tina Turner
Dancing in the dark - Bruce
Born in the USA - Bruce
Girls just want to have fun - Cyndi
Time after time - Cyndi
Lionel Richie's songs from the "Can't Slow Down" LP
The longest time - Billy Joel
Leave a tender moment alone - Billy Joel
There's a lot of others of course.

Written By: Fred on 07/14/06 at 5:08 pm

I hate to be the antagonist in this topic but I don't think it changed 80s music much at all. Maybe that's because I dislike the album? Honestly I never got what was so catchy about Born In The USA. I'm pretty sure I hate every song on that album...  :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/14/06 at 8:28 pm

To me it did.

I guess it's subjective as to whether a song had a "1984ish" vibe to it. Here are some songs which I think had this vibe:
What's love got to do with it? - Tina Turner
Private dancer - Tina Turner
Dancing in the dark - Bruce
Born in the USA - Bruce
Girls just want to have fun - Cyndi
Time after time - Cyndi
Lionel Richie's songs from the "Can't Slow Down" LP
The longest time - Billy Joel
Leave a tender moment alone - Billy Joel
There's a lot of others of course.

It probably depends on what you liked in 1984...

Written By: lizjagger on 07/14/06 at 8:55 pm

I hate to be the antagonist in this topic but I don't think it changed 80s music much at all. Maybe that's because I dislike the album? Honestly I never got what was so catchy about Born In The USA. I'm pretty sure I hate every song on that album...  :-\\

You're not the only one. I hate the song, and I can't stand the artist. Apparently , I'm the only one who thinks he sounds like a drunkard EVERY time he sings.ugh

Check for new replies or respond here...